Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woorlord

Thread: Space Saver for TDIe - What Part Numbers please?

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status

Space Saver for TDIe - What Part Numbers please?

Recently had a puncture experience and can now see the value of a space saver wheel which my TDIe does not have have standard.
    Hoping to source the parts from various sources and was wondering what space saver I would need?
    My standard 17" alloys have 225/50 R 17 tyres.

Have sourced an Audi jack and brace + toolkit etc. with a foam tool insert so that's one item off the list.

Looking for the part numbers for the correct space saver wheel and was wondering if this is the correct one, "8K0 601 027 D"?
    Various listings saying the wheel has tyres like this "HANKOOK T125/70 R19 100M" or "CONTINENTAL T125/70 R19 100M" - would these be suitable for my B8 with 17" alloys?

Will then see about getting a new battery cover to sit the wheel on to hide it all away neatly - guess this will have to come from the dealer - what part number for this?

Many Thanks.

PS Have all the part number for my B6 just not got an up-to-date ETKA at present for my 2012 Facelift B8!
    Hoping someone can have a look in their boot for me.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

All the parts for a TDIe space saver wheel upgrade

I am surprised at the lack of feedback from any member on this B8 forum compared to the interaction experienced on the B6 forum for many years. Anyway as they say if you want something done - DIY!!

So for anybody wishing to do this upgrade here is what I found out to complete my spacesaver wheel retrofit:

My A4 TDIe Saloon has this under the boot floor:

And if you remove the battery cover you will see the limited tool kit you have:

You will need a new Tool tray to carry the jack and wheel brace and other items, which is "8T0 012 109 A":

You can move your existing tools across to the new insert and will require the following additional tools:
    • 02: Jack [8K0 011 021] >> the one I have is a part number 8K0 011 031 G and handle 8K0 011 221.
    • 10: Socket wrench for wheel bolts [8N0 012 219]
    • 11: Removal Tool Wheel Cap [8L0 012 243]
    • 12: Tommy bar [893 012 223]

You need a new battery cover to carry the space saver wheel [8T0 012 116 B]:

And of course the actual space saver wheel [8K0 601 027 D] and tyre, Continental or Hankook T125/70 R19 100M [8K0 601 308], which is secured with the original centre cap bolt:

And the floor fits back as before:

Now of course you can go to Audi and get all these parts brand new (parts list link) which I was advised by Audi would be around £305 + VAT = £366, but I found there are quite a few of these items on Ebay at a fraction of the cost. For instance I was able to get a complete tool kit including polystyrene insert for £39.90 delivered. I reckon this actual tool kit I purchased would have been around £75 from Audi with all the parts I got so a nice bargain. A brand new unused space saver wheel with Continental tyre for £107.94 delivered. The only item I purchased from Audi was the battery cover ("cover for spare well") which was £15.24 inc VAT, so cost me £163.08 in total.

Make sure you transfer across your locking wheel nut!!

This is well worth the upgrade as nothing worse than being out and about relying on a can of foam and a pump which may or may not work and then you have to buy a new tyre as the foam has made it unrepairable!
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera

6th Gear

Status
    My car's pretty different to that. OK it's an Avant soI guess thats the reason. All my tools are under a false floor in the rear of the boot. Within my spare wheel I have the B&O subwoofer.
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

Status
    I have the B&O + DAB Sound Package - but as mine is a Saloon my sub is under the rear shelf.

6th Gear

Status
    Makes sense.

Just to reverse what you're doing : My car has 19" Dunlop's and they're actually run flats. You can do 50mph for miles on them .... which is the same as the space saver in my boot. It seems a bit overkill when the odds not being able to use the run flat is quite remote.

I guess it enables me to use both and get 100miles. If my old TT you'd get a big bag in the tool kit so you could put the full size wheel in it as it didn't fit in the wheel well. Dunno why they don't do that for the A4.

With regards that bag, I once heard an Audi tech telling someone it was a pad for knealing on when changing tyres!
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

Status
    Had a BMW 320d Tourer which the B8 has now replaced - run flats are a pain to get when you simply need new tyres. As with this and previous lease cars always had to go to a named tyre agent (was ATS, now Kwik fit), they never stocked the run flat tyres - colleagues also had this problem,
    My B8 TDIe does not have run flats - hence the precaution of a space saver - if it had run flats would not have started this thread!

Status
    Additional pictures of boot floor handle and confirming floor is flush with space saver in my Saloon....

glenys likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Really excellent bit of research, just about to embark on the same project, thanks for sharing your work. Down with gunk!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am having exactly same problems.I also have 17" alloys. So do not understand why the space saver wheel you have is 19".Is this compatable. I have spoken to Audi Manchester and they confirm that there is no spec. for space saver for my car but then offered a 19"
    version. However they said if I put one of these in the car it would invalidate my insurance on the basis that I would have altered the specification.I am now utterly confused??
    Have you confirmed that 19" is OK replacement for original 17" version//

Reverse Gear

Status
    You can use the following to compare the actual wheel sizes, i know it can be confusing but i can confirm that you are looking for the 19" space saver. 225/50-R17 vs 125/70-R19 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Woorlord,
    Have you actually tried the 19" space saver wheel on the car to replace the 17" Alloys.I'm a bit concerned about offset.
    I think you have done a great job but where did you get the part nos. from. I've found an audi A4 space saver wheel 17" with jack and
    socket wrench on ebay for £149.99. Seller promotorukgroup(1620) but again I need to confirm compatability. Regards Glenys

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thank you for sharing this info OP. V nicely detailed with pictures.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glenys View Post
    Hi Woorlord,
    Have you actually tried the 19" space saver wheel on the car to replace the 17" Alloys.I'm a bit concerned about offset.
    I think you have done a great job but where did you get the part nos. from. I've found an audi A4 space saver wheel 17" with jack and
    socket wrench on ebay for £149.99. Seller promotorukgroup(1620) but again I need to confirm compatability. Regards Glenys
    be careful! It may depend on the age of your car. I have a 14 reg 136 TDie and got a 17" space saver from a breakers but it would not fit! The central hole in the wheel was too small for the boss on the hub. The advertised 17 "wheels have a different part number to this and I'm not sure if the boss has changed on the car or if the 17" wheel is a smaller hole, does anyone know which?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glenys View Post
    Hi Woorlord,
    First thing I did when I got it was to try it on the car - and it fits fine. I have also used it to get a puncture repaired after arriving home and a rear went flat. My nearest KwikFit is around 8 miles away so got me there OK. A colleague has an A4 TDIe Avant 163ps with the same alloys - non-Quattro - his car came fitted with a space saver which was annoying for me in a saloon - that's how I confirmed the part number of the wheel and tyre.