Vcds

tinka

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but how easy is the above to use for home use, and how does it work, I've been scared off of it before as I assume it's complicated, I'm whats called, PC thick. I have a Sealy scan tool for my wife and sons cars but thats my limit for diagnostics.

Do you have a laptop or PC cabable of reaching the vehicle? You will need to connect one end of the VCDS cable into the car and the other end into the laptop/PC which must be max 5ft away due to the length of the cable.

If you just want to check your VAG vehicles for faults then a beginner might be best advised to stick to the auto scan function which is explained in the following link with a youtube video which you may find interesting.

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Auto-Scan

If that looks easy to you then your next step would be to purchase the cable from a reputable retailer and get going.

As you get more advanced, then you could explore the various controllers yourself using the select control module function.

Thanks, I'll start looking into it I think, a no brainer really, although I have a warranty at the moment, I'll not have one forever and even with the extended warranty Audi will still charge for a diagnostic check.

Reactions: Soot1e
Is there anyone on here that can get my DVD player to run all the time. I'm guessing I need to override it some how and not really willing to give it a try myself.

tinka, personally if you really are self confessed ‘PC thick’ then I would not entertain VCDS.

It is not a difficult piece of software to use, BUT it can easily turn your car into an expensive drive ornament if you do not know what you are doing.

It is also not cheap (£260) for just a few scans, they do come into their own if you intend to make several adaptation changes to the car, but are you really happy with your capabilities in doing that?

How do I know which version I have 2G or 3G? Also is this adaptable using the menu alone or do I need to connect into it via a cable? Thanks for the info so far

Last edited:
What year is your car

If you're talking about DVD movies then you have 3g

It is a 59 plate with the DVD built in. Any more info on my modified post above. I'm completely new to this sorry

It is a 59 plate with the DVD built in. Any more info on my modified post above. I'm completely new to this sorry

Ok you have 3G - do you have the extra insert on your MMI control knob?

You need vcds to do this.

A6CR yes it has that little black toggle insert. Where would acquire one of these VCD's and cable from and what software do I need to run it? I'm perhaps thinking to get someone to do this for me lol

Fifty that link is no good?

A6CR yes it has that little black toggle insert. Where would acquire one of these VCD's and cable from and what software do I need to run it? I'm perhaps thinking to get someone to do this for me lol

Ok you have the hdd version -

You need http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html for this and it's a must have for any audi owner. The software you download from Ross tech themselves but you need the genuine cable with the activation key.

Most people have someone local do it for them. I could be your next door neighbour and could do it for you but without any clues in your profile as to your whereabouts it's hard to volunteer to help.

nudge nudge ;)

Most people have someone local do it for them. I could be your next door neighbour and could do it for you but without any clues in your profile as to your whereabouts it's hard to volunteer to help.

nudge nudge ;)

Looking at previous posts he is in Milton Keynes.

Yes that's right I'm in Milton Keynes. I only use this on Tapatalk & for some strange reason will not let me edit the profile? Any help will be much appreciated :)

Yes that's right I'm in Milton Keynes. I only use this on Tapatalk & for some strange reason will not let me edit the profile? Any help will be much appreciated :)

Go onto your computer - press your username in the top right corner of Audi-sport and down the left hand side there will be options to edit different things.

You could purchase the genuine kit of me as I'm a genuine vcds seller & an advertiser of this forum, PM me if you are interested in purchasing the kit.

tinka, personally if you really are self confessed ‘PC thick’ then I would not entertain VCDS.

It is not a difficult piece of software to use, BUT it can easily turn your car into an expensive drive ornament if you do not know what you are doing.

It is also not cheap (£260) for just a few scans, they do come into their own if you intend to make several adaptation changes to the car, but are you really happy with your capabilities in doing that?

The thought of it does scare me a bit, but it sounds like it's very handy to have, and taking labour rates into account will pay for itself fairly quickly, I understand what your saying though, so I'll do my research first and learn as much as I can, the car has a warranty at the moment so no major rush to get one.