Radiator fan staying on

AshA4

Ash
Reaction score
Hey guys quick Q?

Just been out for a short drive, didn't tank it took it nice and steady (ave 42mpg) pulled car onto drive and turned her off.
Noticed the radiator fan stayed on, temp gauge in car was just below half way and it is 7.5 deg outside temp.

Fan stayed on for about 5 mins, I am guessing this is normal but I have not noticed it on my car before?

Would expect this during high summer temps but not in winter?

I did search but found nowt :)

Hey guys quick Q?

Just been out for a short drive, didn't tank it took it nice and steady (ave 42mpg) pulled car onto drive and turned her off.
Noticed the radiator fan stayed on, temp gauge in car was just below half way and it is 7.5 deg outside temp.

Fan stayed on for about 5 mins, I am guessing this is normal but I have not noticed it on my car before?

Would expect this during high summer temps but not in winter?

I did search but found nowt :)

I can't see your sig because I'm on my phone but I'm assuming you have a diesel... As far as I can make out that's a DPF regen interrupted as mine does this as well (3.0 TDi). Nothing to worry about I'd say mate. :)

The diesel particulate filter (DPF) gets clogged up with the soot it's stopping coming out the exhaust pipe and so the regeneration cycle cleans it out by burning them off. If your normal driving doesn't do it, normally by higher revs for a decent amount of time like on a motorway, then the car will automatically adjust the fuelling to create higher temperature exhaust gasses and carry out regen 'manually'. It still continues after the car is off as far as I know.

What exactly the fan does for this once you turn the car off I don't know but it seems to continue fuelling so maybe it's to keep it cool or something? I also notice a slight burning smell at the same time...

Reactions: AshA4
Cheers mate, knew what the DPF was but now know a lot more.
Makes sense too as I did baby the car on that run, thanks again :)

Is the burning smell like burning rubber? if so, mine does that!

Another DPF giveaway is, was the car running at about 1000rpm at idle before switching off ?
If so was in regeneration, along with fans and burning smell, probably regen.

Funnily enough mine did this again when I got home and it definitely smells like burning! Haha.

Help!!! Audi a3 2.0 tdi
My Audi A3 has a few faults and im trying to work out if its worth keeping or get rid??
1. The fan keeps kicking in and seems to be getting worse, not overheating temp stays at 90.
2. Diagnostics says theres 7 faults,
unhappy.gif

3. Loud whistle when driving, especially when giving the boot! not modified!!
4. New sound now when boot is applied, and losing power....

PLEASE HELP, thanks,
biggrin.gif