2.0TFSI Problems :(

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All

I had my 2.0TFSI in for its major (71k) service with Highland Audi earlier this month and after driving 20 miles from the dealership, I noticed that the oil Gauge on the MMI was reading only quarter full. I checked my receipt which showed that Audi had filled it up with 5 litres of oil and they confirmed this when I phoned then. Basically, I have driven 700 miles since then and it has needed 4 litres of oil in total since the service, which seems alot. I booked it in with Audi to be looked at today and before starting the journey, the oil level was at only quarter full according to the MMI. I then put in nearly a litre of oil and then the MMI gauge said there was too MUCH oil. I drove for 5 miles and the MMI guage then said the level was ok. Subsequently the yellow engine management light came on. A slow drive to the Audi garage later and they stated that it is recommended from Audi to replace the crank shaft seals, sensor and update the software as this MIGHT rectify the problem (at a cost of £260!). The service manager said it is a known problem with Audi on the B8, but there has been no recall. (There is no oil leak by the way, just incase anybody was wondering.) He told me the car was ok to drive so I said I would take it just know and continue monitoring the oil levels.
However, they then found that the engine management light came on as there was a problem with the inlet manifold and it was now causing the engine to run rough and was in no way connected to the earlier oil problem. On closer inspection they said that the inlet was worn and will need to be replaced at a cost of £550!!!!!!
The car is only 3 years old and just out of warranty and has had everything done to it by Audi from new.
I have phoned Audi customer services to complain that the inlet manifold should not have worn on a car that is only 3 years old, but I'm not holding my breath for anything.

Just wondered of anybody has had or heard of these problems?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime I'm having to get by with a 2.0TDI SE Avant courtesy car. :(

Many Thanks

Damn, its not good it letting you down like that ! You have clocked up a fair few miles on that car !
When i were having problems i got onto Audi Uk and now my car is perfect, The Audi Dealer got scared that Audi Uk was involved in their work on my Car and it was done to perfection.
Give ( kelly.hebblethwaite@audi.co.uk ) a Email and no doubt she will sort it, she is on the ball !

Problem turned out to be that the car need new inlet manifolds and Audi paid 100% of the parts cost in the end and I just had to pay for the labour.

They also changed the crankshaft seals and software updated which I didn't ask for (this was only a reccommendation and I did tell them I would monitor it and it it was still drinking the oil, I would get it done).
When they tried to charge me for this, I reminded them that I hadn't asked them to do it so I got it for FREE!
At least no more excessive oil consumption now!!!:yahoo: (well so far that is!!)

HI I have the same issue but after it was serviced at the garage I bought it from I am out of warranty. Today I have replaced oil separator for the improved one from Audi but they told me that this seal might need replacing as this was standard thing for them to change if the car used too much oil. My question is simple
Can this seal be changed by my self ?? since again audi told me that they will not do any work ( I wanted to pay) unless I have Oil consumption test done for £234 first. I have said that 1l per 600 miles /month to audi I am the only person putting the oil in. So I will not pay 234 for the fact they will say : Your car uses to much oil because for that money I can try to fix it my self.
Can I still count for help of Audi UK??

You can if your car is out of warranty but has full Audi service history. The problem is, it's not as easy as you think, as once this engine has developed the dreaded oil guzzling fault, it will fail all the oil consumption tests and require practically a whole new engine. I haven't heard of a car being ok once it has had the first oil consumption repairs done.

... and require practically a whole new engine. I haven't heard of a car being ok once it has had the first oil consumption repairs done.

I'm confused. Didn't they manage to fix your car without a whole new engine? So why do you say it will need a new engine? I'm missing something here. :uhm:

I'm confused. Didn't they manage to fix your car without a whole new engine? So why do you say it will need a new engine? I'm missing something here. :uhm:

I had practically a whole new engine. There are so many new parts replaced that there was hardly any parts from the old engine left. Total cost ended up being £6k and that didn't include the £300 odd I spent on the stage 1 repairs.

Reactions: scotty76
I had practically a whole new engine. There are so many new parts replaced that there was hardly any parts from the old engine left. Total cost ended up being £6k and that didn't include the £300 odd I spent on the stage 1 repairs.
Hi the new engine cost 4,200 pounds from audi according to ETKA I have put 4,6 mabe 4,65 L of oli I have done few trips about 14 miles each and few moles aroud town from shop to shop on monday I will chcek oli it will be around 170 miles since oil change and 120 since oil separator change we will see but before After 100 miles the meter was down by 1 mark we will see when I rech 600 miles

Hi all quick update so after my MMI mark was down by one mark I added 130 ml so it showed MAX since then I have done 270 miles till today and... its still down by 1 mark after 162 miles so based on this my engine should only use 483ml of oil per 620 miles but once I hit 620miles mark I will let You know. The changes :
After cleaning exhaust pipes from oil they clean not like before water and oil floating on them so happy there.
I will post the results soon
I had a very good look under my car on the engine there is no leak from nowhere looks healthy from every angle we will see.
abut the pistons and rings well at 90k IMO this problem would occur earlier but who knows.
today I will add BG44K and see what this will do

Hi quick update I did add BG44k at 300 miles and one mark down on MMI for some reason where it should go down again by 1 mark at 320 miles ish it did go but UP YES I have MAX oil level and now 380 miles I have ordered a dip stick, even now I drove with it hard very hard 5 and 6 K its a absolute rocket but sadly for some reason its MAX after 3 min on swichted engine it even shows 2-3 marks down then in matter of 30 sek it grows up to the MAX anybody know why??

No oil in coolant and no smoke in the back and pipes in the back are nice and clean.

To check oil properly on any engine it really needs to be cold and have been standing for on level ground for at least a couple of hours, my old land rover is a nightmare if checked any other way.
Once you have sussed where it is on the stick you can then check to suit where you park it, ie in my wifes cars case on a hill.

Lynallbel, do you have a B8 A4?

If you do then you may have noticed that firstly they don't have dip sticks and secondly to get and oil reading on the MMI you need to have warmed the engine and then let it stand for a couple of minutes.

Nah its a 2005 3.0 tdi B7
Can you not get workshop dipstick like for the mercedes models?
Seems weird to me so you have to use the car before you can check the level!

Nah its a 2005 3.0 tdi B7
Can you not get workshop dipstick like for the mercedes models?
Seems weird to me so you have to use the car before you can check the level!

Sadly thats true audi a4 B8 2.0 tfsi the engine must have min of 60 C to show You the correct amount I am now waiting for dip stick to my car but even with this it must be warm.
But I will check it on cold engine and mark the value and then so on.
In the morning I will take out 125 ml from the oil sump and then start and check with the MMI to see what happens.

Maybe Im just old, but its one of them things I always do once a week or before a long trip, pop the bonnet, oil coolant check lets go, same with the boat.
I wonder what they do in the workshop after an oil change?

Maybe Im just old, but its one of them things I always do once a week or before a long trip, pop the bonnet, oil coolant check lets go, same with the boat.
I wonder what they do in the workshop after an oil change?

In workshop manual it says that 4.6 L of oil is the max and then start the car and once it reaches the operating temp turn it off wait 2 min and check the Oil and I have seen this done twice and it was Max.

Hi Yes I have taken out 75 mil of oil and well the level dropped first by 1 mark now by 2 marks so if I will see Max again well I will ring the warranty but if not I will change the oil and Let You know.

One question my when the engine is running on idle there is a noise very quiet one like a ( washing machine pump which just started to pump out) its like any ideas??

Last edited:
Thats not a lot of oil, I think wifes 3.0tdi is 7.5 litres, luckily its got a dipstick
Her old merc had a dipstick and the in dash gauge, the merc trucks dont have a stick just the dash

I had A6 2.7 V6 it was 8.2 Liters of oil but no single drop was gone between services

I checked hers the other day it had used roughly 0.5 litres in 5000 miles, roughly on par with my old clapped out land rover!

Hi I just wanna say thank You for all replays, I do have a second thoughts but sadly there is no other car IMO with such interior and outside look I have made few upgrades so it looks even better but this engine drives me crazy at this stage I will finish this tank with BG 44k change the oil and let it do what it wants and if it breaks or dies I will ring the pointless warranty number. It is agains me to do something like this but I have no choice. I can't even play normally with my daughter because I always think about it how to fix this without a new engine. I will let You all know what will happened.

On the other hand my consumption was down to 0.48 L per 620 miles but now petrol or BG44k goes through somehow to oil sump.

I checked hers the other day it had used roughly 0.5 litres in 5000 miles, roughly on par with my old clapped out land rover!

I hardly check the oil on my '96 convertible. It has it's minor issues, but 'touch wood' I've spent little money on it and it runs like a dream!

The avant on the other hand is a different story.

If its wasnt for me nothing would get checked on my wifes car!

My wife now drives my old A4 1.8T which has 267,000 miles on it and its only in the last year I have had to top the oil up between services, the car was 6 months old with 5k on the clock when I got it. Why is it that there seems to be quite a few oil usage problems ATM ?? This car still has the factory clutch, exhaust, turbo and a number of other parts are all still original.

I really hope my new A4 is as reliable as my old one has been ......

New poster here and I am considering buying a 2.0 tsi petrol A4, ideally a Quattro. Initially I'd considered the A5 (also 2.0 petrol). But I ruled it out having done a google search which then threw up enough oil drinking horror stories to put me off. I understood that this only affects a minority of cars but I didn't want to be in the minority.

Can anyone tell me whether the A4 and A5 2.0 petrol cars share the same engine?

IMO and some knowledge They do share the same engine some A5 and A4 have the same BHP so they engine should be the same.