Coilovers

Daggerit

Reaction score
Hey all,

I finally have my coilovers! Mwahahaha.

IMG_1667.jpg

Getting them fitted today or tomorrow with any luck so I'l make sure I post up some photos once done. Not planning on going super low or anything like that as I have to use it as a daily and my carpark entrance is a bit of an awkward angle... Haha.

Very excited to see how it comes out, just a shame the weather is so terrible for photos and things, the car will be a mess! Lol.

Dan

I'll wait to see them on :wub:

Brakes next :laugh: :ninja:

Haha, I really can't wait, it should be great looking I hope! Just some spacers needed now but I think that will be a few months off...

Brakes will have to wait until I've saved up I think. That and you giving me a price to save for of course... ;)

Nice, what's the specs and price?

I'm debating springs vs coils

Nice, what's the specs and price?

I'm debating springs vs coils

They're height adjustable but don't have damper adjustment. If you go to the venom Motorsport website the specs are on there, same as the KW variant 1s.

They're about £470 so a bargain!

Well, they're on and I thought I'd post up some photos and observations. :)

First, the fitting photos!

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

Once they were all fitted and the car was down this was the finished product...

IMG_1676.jpg

We had the rear turned all the way down but it didn't look like it had dropped very much so I might have to take the adjusters out... The front, however, is definitely lower. Also, the ride is as smooth, if not better, than the S-Line suspension that was on it so I'm very impressed with it so far! Going around corners it rolls much less and feels much more positive in the corners.

Anyway, enough of this, I'll show a before and after photo in the same place...

Before:

ED024488-FE3C-4B8F-A0BC-4A51E7C50300-3803-000003B4B89D3DB9.jpg

After:

IMG_1683.jpg

Hope you like! :)

Dan

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Who's the big strong Turk!!!!!

Buy anti roll bars and see what Rene says haha

Do not remember the fronts??

They don't look bad quality, for the money they actually look ****** decent.

Stupid question as pogo sticks probably ride better than OEM suspension set up, but how do they feel for general driving around town etc.?!!

You trying to talk a good story again Ilim as being able to talk the talk is nothing if you can't walk the walk. Aint that right Dan???

Haha, that does help! ;)

Both the ARBs were buried deep in the front and rear sub frames, would be a hell of a job changing them over!

They don't look bad quality, for the money they actually look ****** decent.

Stupid question as pogo sticks probably ride better than OEM suspension set up, but how do they feel for general driving around town etc.?!!

Yeah they seemed really good!

Honestly, I'd say that for day to day driving and going around town they're even a tiny bit better than the OEM shocks/springs... Round corners there's a decent difference though! :)

Nice!!!!

More pics needed though!

I'm just gonna go for springs on mine, coilovers always tempt me to go lower then the wife moans its too low so I have to raise it then I think should have just got springs lol

Thought it wasn't low enough so got the tracking done and dropped it a bit more at the same time... ;)

null.jpg

Reactions: V6 Quatt and martinivw
Thanks! Next mod is some 11 or 16mm spacers so they fill the arches a bit better. :)

The car looks amasing like this.
Really stunning.

That looks sooo much better Dan. Shes sitting just about perfect now.

Yeah, I love it but does rub on an arch screw a bit on slight turning and a bit of a bump so seeing if I can get that sorted tonight. Might raise it 10mm if I can't take it out. :(

Thanks! Next mod is some 11 or 16mm spacers so they fill the arches a bit better. :)

Cars looking good Dan only question I have is if the tyres are rubbing just now on the screw won't they rub on the arch if you fit spacers at the height?

Cars looking good Dan only question I have is if the tyres are rubbing just now on the screw won't they rub on the arch if you fit spacers at the height?

Probably! Haha. Having a look tonight to see what can be done anyway, hopefully will be able to get it sorted with the 12mm spacers going on as well. ;)

Probably! Haha. Having a look tonight to see what can be done anyway, hopefully will be able to get it sorted with the 12mm spacers going on as well. ;)

did you manage to stop the tyres rubbing on the arch lining screw? if so how did you manage it?

I have just purchased a a4 b8 3.0 quattro myself, always fitted coilovers myself but as this is my first quattro i thought it may be much more hassle, how did you find fitting them?

Hey mate, I actually had a VW tech friend fit them for me. Only took a couple hours and that was with him learning what to do at the same time...

I only have an issue with the arch screw when I hit a bump mid corner with a small turn of the wheel so doesn't really bother me. I think if you had it slammed then you'd have more of an issue.

It's just a bit low at the front for me at the minute, tyre is just in the arch so I think I'm gonna raise it up a bit anyway, only like 5-10 mm though. ;)

how do you find the ap coilovers, had a set of these fitted on my mk5 golf gti, loved them....

cant decide if to get ap's again or H&R's (H&R's are almost twice the price though)

Haven't had any issues with them at all to be honest. You can feel the increased damping over the standard shocks but I think that the springs might actually be softer because the ride isn't as crashy overall. Lowered stance and better ride - win win!

cant seem to find much on this forum regarding coilovers.....just wondering if anyone else has any recomendations for coilovers?

I have fitted APs and I agree the ride isn't all that bad and I have mine as low as it can go on the rear I've even taken the adjuster plates out to get another 10-15mm lower :) I don't have any rubbing but I've had plenty of camber put on. If I were to buy them again I think I would like something with adjustable shocks, however I will be fitting air ride in the near future.

I have fitted APs and I agree the ride isn't all that bad and I have mine as low as it can go on the rear I've even taken the adjuster plates out to get another 10-15mm lower :) I don't have any rubbing but I've had plenty of camber put on. If I were to buy them again I think I would like something with adjustable shocks, however I will be fitting air ride in the near future.

Yeah I agree with this, exactly the same experience.

The only little rubs I got were the arch screws on the tyres if you hit a decent bump mid corner. I took mine off in the end purely because there are so many huge speed bumps on a daily basis for me and the car was bottoming out and I didn't want to have coilovers on the car and not have it low! Haha.

Air ride would be the way forward if you were wanting the seriously low look. :)

I'm not too bad with mine as it isn't a daily, I have priced up air ride from Luke at plush for the accuair E-level kit it's £4470 but that is the all singing all dancing kit with auto level, just set your ride height and even if you put more weight in it stays the same height all the time :) 3 presets 1 for speed bumps, drive height and aired out low height. Can be controlled off iPhone too, that price is for the kit and fitting and a few extras like upgraded duel compressors and remote fob and iPhone compatible kit. Just need to save some penny's and sweet talk the missis then it's getting done lol :)

that would be useful for going over my parents track (dirt...not race :p ) xD when I eventually get my audi I'll probably want to drop it a little bit but then I'll be worried about losing the bottom of my car to rocks and such :p air ride would probably be ideal, stancing about the streets and then jack up to the max for going over the track, offroad 4x4 mode activate!!!! :D

but yea that's expensive... I'll just go sloooooowwwwwwww for a while I think xD think initially it will just be a set of springs, maybe later down the line go for the coilover/air route.