A3 8p3 to A4 b8 questions

nally

MPG the new BPH
Reaction score
Hello fourm
this is my first post here normally on A38p3 section.
Ill cutt to the chase for those who don't know me I am looking to Change my A3 sline to the same car with Quattro (haldex) anyway it's got to be the same as mine with drls sline sport back ect it's looking at costing me another 4k plus mine dye to them Being so rare
in my search I came across this

USED AUDI A4 2.0 TDI Quattro 170 S Line for sale in Stourbridge, West Midlands (Ref. 86715492)

Its a bit out of budget but looks like a cracking spec with the torsion Quattro . Is this a good price as I think it is and what's the electronic handbrake like I have not heard nice things so far?. Also are those the parking sensors that show on screen like the new bmws?

Judging by the pics, it has the front & rear parking sensors (Parking System Plus) so it will show up on the screen.
The electronic handbrake is fine. I have never had any problems with it, nor has the missus.
Seems a good price mate.

Judging by the pics, it has the front & rear parking sensors (Parking System Plus) so it will show up on the screen.
The electronic handbrake is fine. I have never had any problems with it, nor has the missus.
Seems a good price mate.

Thanks really need a Quattro before the bad weather sets in. Are they really thirsty .

I have the 2.0TFSI (non Quattro) and its really economical. I get around the same as the 2.0TDI. If you look through some of the past Topics on here, you will see that alot of TDI owner's are a little disappointed in the mpg they have been getting.

I assume you'll be fitting a set of winter tyres to the new car? If not, then a FWD with winters will typically be a more useful setup anyways if by "bad weather" you are referring to low temps and possible snowfall.

Quattro is indeed a benefit for getting traction as it's splitting the load between 4 contact points vs 2. However it's not some miracle of physics that suddenly overcomes the laws of momentum or rubber composition etc.

I assume you'll be fitting a set of winter tyres to the new car? If not, then a FWD with winters will typically be a more useful setup anyways if by "bad weather" you are referring to low temps and possible snowfall.

Quattro is indeed a benefit for getting traction as it's splitting the load between 4 contact points vs 2. However it's not some miracle of physics that suddenly overcomes the laws of momentum or rubber composition etc.

Couldn't agree more. Boils my p*ss when you see 4x4 drivers flying about in bad conditions, they just don't seem to realise that cars all have brakes on four wheels so although they may be able to accelerate better than most, they won't be able to stop any faster. Winter tyres will definitely help accelerating, braking and turning for you though!

When. Was looking at b8s for myself I went to look at one this colour as in the photos it looked really dark (almost black) but in the metal I really didn't like the colour. Just seemed really bland somehow, and put me off an otherwise nice car.

As for the mpg's I have a 2.0 Tdi 143 with the auto box, get around 550-600 from a tank full and average around 50 mpg's.

My mrs has an a3 but I take the keys to the a4 every time, much nicer car all round.

well aware of this : )

When. Was looking at b8s for myself I went to look at one this colour as in the photos it looked really dark (almost black) but in the metal I really didn't like the colour. Just seemed really bland somehow, and put me off an otherwise nice car.

As for the mpg's I have a 2.0 Tdi 143 with the auto box, get around 550-600 from a tank full and average around 50 mpg's.

My mrs has an a3 but I take the keys to the a4 every time, much nicer car all round.
They only make quattros in the 170 on the b8 from what I understand. Mines the 140 manual. I get about 47mpg mainly drive down lanes to work so was just a bit worried as I know the b8 less wouldn't mine knowing how much less realistically

They only make quattros in the 170 on the b8 from what I understand. Mines the 140 manual. I get about 47mpg mainly drive down lanes to work so was just a bit worried as I know the b8 less wouldn't mine knowing how much less realistically

I know some of the B8 170 owners are not over happy with their consumption figures, I can only surmise the quattro will be a tad worse than the front drive variants as that's usually the case.

Suppose it's the price you pay for extra power and extra weight. If you really need a quattro just accept it won't get the best returns on mpg's.

I think in real world day to day use quattro ( haldex variant) is a tad over rated anyway. I have owned various vag cars with haldex and front drive. The newest being an 09 TT Tdi 170 quattro, it was still fairly useless in anything but minor snow conditions.

I know some of the B8 170 owners are not over happy with their consumption figures, I can only surmise the quattro will be a tad worse than the front drive variants as that's usually the case.

Suppose it's the price you pay for extra power and extra weight. If you really need a quattro just accept it won't get the best returns on mpg's.

I think in real world day to day use quattro ( haldex variant) is a tad over rated anyway. I have owned various vag cars with haldex and front drive. The newest being an 09 TT Tdi 170 quattro, it was still fairly useless in anything but minor snow conditions.

yep I think that's my compromise full time torsion Quattro or haldex I actually prefer the look of my a3 but for the price of the a3 sline quattros that a4 was looking like a great option especially with the spec.