Winter wheels, worth it?

longp2

Reaction score
There's bound to be plenty of posts on winter tyres this year so I thought I'd start one by asking how many of you are going to be using them this year? My last car, Octavia vrs, was useless in the snow so I'd imagine that the any A4 on 18s or larger would be just as bad meaning that a good set of winter tyres would be worthwhile.
I never ran them on my last S4 but I have just invested in a set of spare alloys with Dunlop winter tyres for my new one which will hopefully ensure a skid free winter and will also save my lovely BE rotors from getting ruined.

Reactions: chipchip2010
Not me, my 20 spokes are already showing signs of corrosion under the lacquer so running the thru winter and either refurbing or replacing in spring. If its bad enough to need winter tyres I'll stay at home.

I'm a convert.

I got a set of 16" TT wheels and fitted them with the Dunlop Wintersport 4D tyres, and all through last winter they were great, in the snow they are nothing short of incredible, I really never expected the difference to be so extreme. Cornering was so secure, breaking was far better and just general security.

The best bit was watching people's faces as you cruised past them up icey hills as they were struggling at the bottom!

And it saves 4-6 months of wear on your other tyres.

per mm my 17" winters are cheaper than the 19"s
winter wheels were £175 and had enough tyre left on them to use while i had the 19"s refurbed :)

my passat was ace in the snow :) with quattro the a6 should be even better :)
P1040057.jpg

'Yes' is my quick answer. However i am surprised that people relate 'winter' tyres to snow only. They are also much much better in anything less than 7 deg C than your normal tyre. They are immensely better in ice too. I have used them in both this country and Norway and now fit them every year in November and remove them end March ish.

Reactions: Brett Butler
Reactions: riggssuzuki
Dear longp2,

We have to advise that undoubtably winter tyres are very important not just for snowy conditions but for all winter driving. Winter tyres will provide you with a much higher level of security than summer tyres and so you should look into the benefits. Below is an article that may be of interest to others in the forum.

What are the differences between a winter tyre and a summer tyre?, Breaking News car tyres on rezulteo

Happy driving,

The rezulteo team

Thanks for your reply, very informative site.

I've had them fitted for the last 2 winters and was amazed how good they are in the snow and ice. I'll need to get my wheels bored out now though as they won't fit directly onto my B8 with the different centre bore. They'll probably look pretty stupid as they're not the correct tyre size but I can't afford to buy another set of wheels and tyres so they'll have to do for now until the tyres wear down.

I've been thinking about it, Ive still got the original SE wheels from my MY12 facelift so i may aswell source some cheap winter tyres, that way the car looks presentable during winter, even though I hate the SE wheels with a passion.

But they do make a difference as the temps drop below 7odd c. The Snow im not so convinced tho, so if you just buy them thinking its going to make you some demi god in the snow, forget it lol.

Winter tyres are amazing in the snow. When we had that bad winter in 2010/11 my car never got stuck once, the year before when I didn't have any I couldn't even get out my drive and the snow was nowhere near as bad. I would go as far to say that it's the best thing I've ever bought for a car and I've purchased a few things lol. Don't under estimate them! That's not to say that you won't ever get stuck mind but I reckon it would take a hell of a lot of snow or possibly ice. Suppose it depends on what tyres you go for aswell.

No my point is, people seem to stick on winter tyres and think you can still drive around like you did in summer. I had a MX5 in the bad winter, with ordinary tyres, and I didnt get stuck either. Winters just give a level assurance, but it still means you have to be alert in terms of stopping distances and what not

Yeah I see what you mean and totally agree with what you're saying. It's like people on 4x4's think they're invincable in the snow because they have 4wd! They're just a danger to themselves and other road users when they drive along as if the conditions are normal. Common sense and caution still need to be used.

Its all well having winter tyres, but when most other motorists don't have them and then slide/crash into you, it makes no difference! If the weathers that bad to warrant winter tyres or if theres snow, I certainly won't be driving. And winter tyres ain't cheap!

Its all well having winter tyres, but when most other motorists don't have them and then slide/crash into you, it makes no difference! If the weathers that bad to warrant winter tyres or if theres snow, I certainly won't be driving. And winter tyres ain't cheap!

as i stated above... mm for mm my winters are cheaper than my 19"s

Winter tyres may not be cheap but neither are they any more expensive than summers tyres. There are plenty of good deals on the go. Look at in this way. If you put a set of winters on for 4 months of the year then you extend the life of your summers by the same amount. Also you are going to be less likely to get stuck and be safer in slippy, wet, cold conditions (doesnt need to be snowing). If everyone said why should i bother because no one else dopes then we would still be in loin cloths carrying spears.... And believe me you dont want to see me in a loin cloth.... esepecially in winter pushing my mammoth out of a snow drift!!!

Used to run winters on my old golf v6 4 motion and they were quality.

Snow socks for me this year though as no spare wheels!

YOu can also get spray chains. Great stuff as i think i mentioned before. Its for emergency only. Basicall a gum based spray that gives superb grip on snow and ice. Its a get you out of the poo spray. Used it and it works.

missed the offer from Audi last year, thankfully turned out not to need them. haven't heard if they're running the scheme again this year.

I'll be putting the 17s back on the A4, along with the Uniroyal winter tyres. What I noticed more with winter tyres is the breaking capability. And the not getting stuck once in Peak District snow :)

I've bought some spare 17" rims and am also going for the Dunlop 4Ds.

Some debate as to whether H speed rating is allowed, in that ATS said they weren't allowed to fit a speed rating lower than the original tyres.

As far as I can see, though, the law does not specify this and nor do the insurers. Audi list the H rated winter tyres as one of their standard fits for the B8 in Germany.

H rating is upto 130mph, I'd say you won't have any problems with them!
The main thing with the dunlops is the load rating which is 97XL.

I know it's a silly amount of money but Audi will supply four alloys and winter tyres for about £1200 all in according to one if the salesmen in Aberdeen Audi. :)

As dan says Aberdeen Audi supply packages to suit I also believe they store the summer wheels for you and swap them back in the summer. Or at least that's what I was told. If I were home for the winter I'd run winter tyres the difference is night an day

As dan says Aberdeen Audi supply packages to suit I also believe they store the summer wheels for you and swap them back in the summer. Or at least that's what I was told. If I were home for the winter I'd run winter tyres the difference is night an day

It's a pretty big outlay and probably wont be doing it this year because of that but if I could afford it then I would be! Like you say, Simon, the difference is massive! I think they said it was 17" wheels with higher profile, narrower tyres so that in itself would help let alone then having the winter tyres on. :)

Even though mine is Quattro I get the feeling with 19" rims and budget tyres (which can't even cope in the wet, let a lone snow) it will be rubbish in the snow or cold/icy conditions.
Just been on eBay and there are plenty of 16" steel wheels available for about £200 and even found a set complete with winter tyres for just £469.
I will be buying a set on pay day. Think I might have to get the coilovers adjusted to max height as well.

Even though mine is Quattro I get the feeling with 19" rims and budget tyres (which can't even cope in the wet, let a lone snow) it will be rubbish in the snow or cold/icy conditions.
Just been on eBay and there are plenty of 16" steel wheels available for about £200 and even found a set complete with winter tyres for just £469.
I will be buying a set on pay day. Think I might have to get the coilovers adjusted to max height as well.

Sounds like a good shout! I'm just hoping that if the coilovers ever arrive I don't just end up turning my car into a snow plough if the white stuff appears... :tocktock:

I bought the 17" wheel package last year. Fantastic in the snow, ice and generally wet slippy conditions. Difference is astounding. Esppecially stopping distances. There are plenty of options online if you dont want the Audi ones. I called insurance to ask for advice and they said its not an issue and the lassie stated she thought it should be a requirement to have them fitted. Do it you wont regret it.

I bought the 17" wheel package last year. Fantastic in the snow, ice and generally wet slippy conditions. Difference is astounding. Esppecially stopping distances. There are plenty of options online if you dont want the Audi ones. I called insurance to ask for advice and they said its not an issue and the lassie stated she thought it should be a requirement to have them fitted. Do it you wont regret it.

Was that from Audi? And if so then how much was it in the end if you don't mind me asking?

Think i was circa £1200. But they do come with nice bags......... No mention of storeage or a changeover service. BMW do it for their customers. £30 to store either your summer or winter wheels depending on the time of year.

you can get the bags for £30 off ebay mine should be here today, along with my snow tyres :)

Yup thats the ones. Mine even have a nice pic of which position they came of off so i can fit them to the same location. Makes the 1200 quid seem all worth while :blownose:

£1200 is too much, 2nd hand wheels off ebay, bags off ebay, tyres from camskill/blackcircles/mytyres get it all done for under £700

Ah ha and there you hit a problem. If you use non Audi equipment it is then classed as a modification. Alloy wheels especially fall under this and get missed on insurance quotes. I have checked on this many times with various large insurers. If it is a non manufacturer part it is classed as modification and they will use any excuse not to pay out so by all means go after market but declare it to your insurer. It doesnt cost much more s its normally just a 'note' on your policy. Might be cheaper but if you dont declare it and have a bump then they will try to get out of paying by that means.