Just thought that I would do a quick write up of my internal LED conversion that was supplied by t8ups. I know there have been a few of these but I don't think that any have shown you how to change each type and from a customer perspective rather than the supplier explaining.
First off the delivery was amazing - paid yesterday afternoon and the LEDs were at my door first thing this morning. Very professional.
Ok, on to the actual work...
I was very nervous about trying to remove the large frosted section of plastic as I didn't want to scratch anything so decided to start with the map lights. Here the lights are standard.
From there I unscrewed the Torx screw in the suglasses holder
and gave the unit a little tug for it to come away from theheadlining.
From there I let it hang down and removed the first map light by turning the holder 90 degrees and pulling it out
From there all you have to do is pull the old bulb out and pop in the new LED and refit. I found I had to angle it going in but no issue with clearance once you do that.
Here is the comparison:
Next I pushed the main light festoon bulbs out and unclipped the frosted section from behind, there is one of these on each side and I thought that was much better than attacking it from the front to save scratches and such. I just popped a screwdriver behind it and it popped right off.
From there it was easy to pop in the new LEDs
The next stage was just a quick re-assembly and the first lights were done!
Next I decided to attack the rear map lights which started looking like this
Just a gentle pry off from one end with the screwdriver and the housing popped off no problem
The next part is easy, just pull out the old bulbs and fire in the new LEDs!
Next was the glove box, and all it takes is to pop the screwdriver under the end and it comes out. From there just pull (quite solidly!) on the connector and it will come off to release the bulb housing assembly so you can play with it and get the bulb out. The little white plastic housing comes off with a small clip on each side which I just put a screwdriver under to gently get off.
Lastly I popped in the new LED
and you can see how amazing the difference is straight away!
The footwell lights, boot, puddle lights and the active reflectors are done in the same way as the glove box. Admittedly the rear fotwell lights were a bit of a pain in the butt, that said I managed to get them changed within 5 minutes each. A quick shot of the active reflectors since it's still a bit bright for puddle light demos. The front is the LED (if you couldn't tell).
Here you can see the difference before and after with the footwell lights!
The very last ones I did were the vanity mirrors.
These were similar to the ones above in that all you have to do is pry them up at one side, remove the internal cover and put in the new LED festoons.
The whole operation took about 30-45 minutes and was much, much easier than I thought it would be! I'm very impressed with the way the LEDs look and the quality of the work on them, especially the footwell lights.
I'll try to get some pictures once it gets dark too.
Thanks t8ups for the LEDs and answering all my random questions!