JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    3rd Gear

Status

Audi Ami Vs iPhone 5 - new cable ££!?

Well then what do we think, will the ami and current cable work with the iPhone 5?
    Possibly not according to this:

iPhone 5, new iPod, may leave some cars in the dust | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

Be interesting to see if the apple adaptor works with Audi
    So that’s £25 for an Apple adaptor or does this mean a new Audi ami iphone cable and another £25!
    S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Well then what do we think, will the ami and current cable work with the iPhone 5?

iPhone 5, new iPod, may leave some cars in the dust | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

So that’s £25 for an Apple adaptor or does this mean a new Audi ami iphone cable and another £25!
    I'm starting to fall out with Apple...
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    You and me both!
    Mind due I’ve fallen out with Audi a few times but keep coming back!
    How you finding the new mota Daggerit – great choice and i really like Daytona.
    Have you posted any pics on here?

Sparky

Status

Do you plug your iphone into the AMI in the glove box everytime you get in and out of the car??
    I couldnt be chewed with that i have my old ipod touch in the glove box via AMi for music and have my phone on bluetooth to answer calls and leave it in my pocket or in the armrest.
    2.0Tdi 170 Black Edtion Avant

4th Gear

Status
    You and me both!
    Mind due I’ve fallen out with Audi a few times but keep coming back!
    How you finding the new mota Daggerit – great choice and i really like Daytona.
    Have you posted any pics on here?
    Loving the car and really like the Daytona... There are some pics on page 3 and 4 of the B8 pics section actually!

Quote Originally Posted by redspudder View Post
    Do you plug your iphone into the AMI in the glove box everytime you get in and out of the car??
    I couldnt be chewed with that i have my old ipod touch in the glove box via AMi for music and have my phone on bluetooth to answer calls and leave it in my pocket or in the armrest.
    Day to day I use an SD card but for longer trips and stuff I would like to use the phone as there is more on it and it saves putting everything on the card which takes quite a long time. I wonder if you could connect the new cable into the USB adapter for the AMI and run it like that?

6th Gear

Status
    Get a bigger sd card!
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Sparky

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggerit View Post
    Loving the car and really like the Daytona... There are some pics on page 3 and 4 of the B8 pics section actually!

Day to day I use an SD card but for longer trips and stuff I would like to use the phone as there is more on it and it saves putting everything on the card which takes quite a long time. I wonder if you could connect the new cable into the USB adapter for the AMI and run it like that?
    There will be adaptors for the old pin arrangement to new pin arrangement,wether this will charge the phone remains to be seen.I also have SD card,the wife has a 61plate Fiesta Titanium which allows music to be played via bluetooth its quite good.
    2.0Tdi 170 Black Edtion Avant

3rd Gear

Status
    Don’t get me started on the fact that the Ami is in the glove box - Stupid location!
    I know there’s lots of other solutions SD cards, jukebox, spare ipods etc.
    But in the end i found a cable that worked and re-route the ami *cable from the glove box to the arm rest (my post on doing this is on here somewhere)
    My car is pre facelift so no Blutooth audio streaming for me!

Neutral

Status
    The I5 isnt special enough to warrant spending all that money on imo anyway, so stick with your I4S or android equivalent and dont be slave to the marketing hype!
    62 A4 Avant TDIE SE Technik. Brilliant Black.Beige Milano Heated Front + Rear Leather.Adaptive Xenons.Tech Pack High.Power Boot.Sound Pack.Storage Pack.Light Pack.Rail Fixing Kit.Rear Blinds.3 spoke Leather Steering Wheel.

Mods to come............Rear Spoiler,Rear smoke tints, Gloss black grill........and whatever VCDS can enable for me!

Neutral

Status
    The iPhone 5 was shown in the keynote on an Audi dash with the adapter, it'll work for sure and it'll charge it.
    On order: A4 Avant 2.0 TDi Quattro 177 Black Edition Daytona Grey
    Tech Pack High, Nappa, Phone Prep High, TV, Heated Seats, Light Pack, Hill Hold, Storage Pack, S-Line Sus

Neutral

Status
    Tech Pack High, Nappa, Phone Prep High, TV, Heated Seats, Light Pack, Hill Hold, Storage Pack, S-Line Sus

Neutral

Status
    A few issues with that pic.

1. Some ipod accessories like speakers use the video out and or the ipod out for media. These pins in the old connector are analogue and the lightening is al digital, meaning unless there is a conversion (which apple haven't provided) it wont work.

2. When my ipod is connected the music screen on the phone displays (Connected to Accessory) or words to that effect. The screen in the pic isn't available.

3. If you zoom in then you will see that the phone isn't charging which means the car is either off or it dose not work.

5th Gear

Status
    that pic was from the apple keynote speech!!

VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenkobenko View Post
    A few issues with that pic.

1. Some ipod accessories like speakers use the video out and or the ipod out for media. These pins in the old connector are analogue and the lightening is al digital, meaning unless there is a conversion (which apple haven't provided) it wont work.

2. When my ipod is connected the music screen on the phone displays (Connected to Accessory) or words to that effect. The screen in the pic isn't available.

3. If you zoom in then you will see that the phone isn't charging which means the car is either off or it dose not work.
    See I just don't know because obviously the system can take a digital signal or it wouldn't be able to read USB inputs... That said it may not be able to interpret the I5 signal correctly because it's a crazy mash up of the USB input (digital) and what it would be expecting from an iPhone (anologue) so may not know what to do.

Either this is a mock up for publicity or it's the strangest Audi setup I've seen before, but I'm sure that someone could correct me if they actually know what car this layout is from.

3rd Gear

Status
    Spot on!
    As suggested in the original article link in my first post, this must be a mock-up – looks like the old A6 controls
    so wouldn’t the connection be in the glove box not armrest??

5th Gear

Status
    not a6, ciggy lighter is in wrong place
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

Neutral

Status
    This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.
    From the apple website

5th Gear

Status
    looks like its q7
    VCDS in North Wales

6th Gear

Status
    I've posted about this over in the 8P forum too.

I was certain that the AMI connection simply used the analogue audio out and thus wouldn't work with the new iPhone or iPod Touch but I'm not 100% sure. If this is the case then we're screwed and it'll never work, but is there a possibility that the AMI uses a digital audio out connection on the iPhone?

The chances of actually finding out such a detailed piece of information from anyone at Audi is pretty much impossible so I think it's going to be a case of waiting until someone actually tries it with an iPhone5 and an adapter.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    This is interesting!

Apple's iPhone 5 will arrive with a free Lightning to 30-pin adapter (update: maybe not!) - Engadget

Ignore the stuff about whether the adapter will be included with the phone or not and instead concentrate on this bit:

"Cupertino has justified by saying the units will include chips to enable features like analog and USB audio along with syncing and charging."

Does this mean the adapter will include a DAC and thus support analogue audio?
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    wouldnt be a problem if there werent so many applesheep (sheeples) in the world, needing the latest product.Apple have u by the short and curlies.I have two twerps in my family that have commited to apple.Great fun watching them squirm!!!!
    Pass me my sock

6th Gear

Status

Audi Ami Vs iPhone 5 - new cable ££!?

Apple have stuck with the same connector for the last nine years, far more consistent than any of their competitors!

6th Gear

Status
    True, but the nokia adapter wasnt 25 squid...
    Pass me my sock

5th Gear

Status
    and the replica adaptors won't be £25
    VCDS in North Wales