B8 S Line Power Steering Issue

Jetset

Reaction score
I have read many posts and have become used to the heavy power steering on our A4 S Line, it does in fact make my A3 seem like it's driving on ice after getting in it after driving the A4. I do wonder though if other people experience a knocking sound whilst turning the wheel at low speeds or whilst stationary. Don't get any similar feeling or noise of this once on the move so before I ring Audi I thought I would see it was connected to the heavy steering issue. It is still under warranty so no issue there.

Thanks for that. I might get them to look into it when it goes for next service I think.

Booked it in with Leeds Audi, they tried to tell me it needed diagnostics which would be £130 and wasn't covered by Audi warranty. I told them I would take it back to Harrogate Audi where it came from then all of a sudden the Diagnostics charge dissapeared................

I don't think diagnostics would be able to tell a loose joint anyway, which is my suspicion but then I am not a mechanic.

Mine knocks aswell but it isn't heavy, I think I've got the servotronic (speed sensative) steering. I don't like it much.

I actually like the feel of the steering when moving, gives the car a very solid feel. Parking it isn't as easy as it could be but I don't drive it that much so doesn't cause me any issues as my wife doesn't seem to mind it.

Gone into dealer today so will have an update later, had a call to say it's fixed so my 45 mile trip home should give it sufficient trial. They were also looking into annoying rattle somewhere above drivers door possibly in headlining. Hopefully they have sorted both the problems.

Problem solved, new section of steering rod installed and that has cured knocking sound when turning wheel. Rattling also fixed which was something to do with seat belt mechanism. All done under warranty. Only problem is that the clutch is now catching on somthing and clicks loudly everytime it is let out so got to call back in morning for them to sort that, sounds like it is catching on something but can't get to it to see.

Clutch clicking was resolved by sticking my head in footwell last night and noticing the carpet had not stuck back properly after the steering rod was taken out so it was catching back of pedal everytime it was pressed in. A stanley knife sorted it :p