Chris NottEM Tuning
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By warren_S5

Thread: 18" or 19"?

  1. #1
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489

    Question 18" or 19"?

    Hi all!

    Well I will soon need to replace my two front tyres, so I have the dilema, do I replace them with another set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's (which I can get for the bargain price of £140 EACH!!!!) or replace my standard 18" S line alloys and get some new ones?

    The laquer has started to peel of two of the alloys and I have been quoted £75 each wheel to get refurbished and I would need to get all 4 done as they can't match the paint colour. (and if I did get them done I thought about getting them done Gunmetal Grey!)

    I quite like the Dyanmik Alloys but can't justify the £890-1000+ price WITHOUT tyres.
    I also like the Black Edition Alloys (in dark Grey & Silver). These are £380 without tyres as are BBS CH (both 18")
    Or 19" at £430 (but then I would need to also cover the cost of 4 new 19" tyres and theres isn't any tyre and wheel deals about! - unless anybody else knows any???).

    Thing is, the standard 18" wheels look big anyway, and I doubt you would notice the difference in size with 19. Or am I wrong?
    19" tyres are each on average £100 more expensive than 18".

    Also, how much are S line alloys worth? They have no scuffs etc and are spotless on the inside of the rims, but obviously 2 with the laquer peeling.

    At the minute, I'm more inclined to just get 2 tyres and eventually replace the alloys with another set of 18! and just swap the tyres over.

    What do people think?
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Pyeman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    110
    I think 19"s suit an A4 better than 18"s.

    I have been looking at 20"s lately as the do look great under the arch in my opinion.

    BBS 861's are a factory rim too. Don't forget about A5 and A6 rims too.
    Last edited by Pyeman; 12th August 2012 at 15:57.
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6


  4. #3
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,166
    Most people tend to think of the exterior aesthetics of what the wheels look like which is fair, but only gives you part of the story.

    I changed from 18" S3 rotor wheels to 19" RS3 rotors and there have been a few negative side effects when you look beyond the wheels themselves.

    1) They have far less bite for turning in snowy conditions in winter
    2) The reduction in tyre walls means a reduction in cushioning, and I've got rattles in the cabin now that I never had on 18's which can drive you nuts
    3) The ride quality can be compromised, and car can feel like it's skittish over rough surface and tramline over uneven ones
    4) They are MUCH easier to kerb as you have less tyre face and tyre protectors as less effective
    5) They are expensive, and despite the rumours that once these sizes became 'mass market' the price would go down, they never really have
    6) You're carrying more unsprung weight which detracts from handling, and if your car is understeery it can exacerbate this at the limit of grip

    There are benefits (outright grip in the dry / looks), but it's not a clear cut decision and one that should be carefully considered before jumping in with both feet. Get a good refurb on your current rims if you don't fancy it.

  5. #4
    Pyeman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    110
    Fully agree with above.

    Going big in the wheel department has big down falls as pointed out, handling, ride and expense.

    I would look at what your needs are first and the look at your options or see if someone has some 19"'s you could try for a few miles and see how they are on your car.

    I have a friend with an Astra VXR. Its has 19"s on. Vauxhall state that the car handles best and is quicker with 18"s. It took him all of 30 sec's to find some 18"'s for track day use and 1/4 mile trashes at Santa Pod.
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6


  6. #5
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyeman View Post
    Fully agree with above.

    Going big in the wheel department has big down falls as pointed out, handling, ride and expense.

    I would look at what your needs are first and the look at your options or see if someone has some 19"'s you could try for a few miles and see how they are on your car.

    I have a friend with an Astra VXR. Its has 19"s on. Vauxhall state that the car handles best and is quicker with 18"s. It took him all of 30 sec's to find some 18"'s for track day use and 1/4 mile trashes at Santa Pod.
    Very true ref: performance. My 19" RS3's are OEM Audi. Audi market them as hollowform lightweight alloys. Yet each wheel with tyre was about 24kgs from memory. It's not light and a good few kilos heavier than 18's, so when you work out what stresses that puts on bearings and the extra effort required to spin the bloaters up the 18's start to look quite attractive!

  7. #6
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Most people tend to think of the exterior aesthetics of what the wheels look like which is fair, but only gives you part of the story.

    I changed from 18" S3 rotor wheels to 19" RS3 rotors and there have been a few negative side effects when you look beyond the wheels themselves.

    1) They have far less bite for turning in snowy conditions in winter
    2) The reduction in tyre walls means a reduction in cushioning, and I've got rattles in the cabin now that I never had on 18's which can drive you nuts
    3) The ride quality can be compromised, and car can feel like it's skittish over rough surface and tramline over uneven ones
    4) They are MUCH easier to kerb as you have less tyre face and tyre protectors as less effective
    5) They are expensive, and despite the rumours that once these sizes became 'mass market' the price would go down, they never really have
    6) You're carrying more unsprung weight which detracts from handling, and if your car is understeery it can exacerbate this at the limit of grip

    There are benefits (outright grip in the dry / looks), but it's not a clear cut decision and one that should be carefully considered before jumping in with both feet. Get a good refurb on your current rims if you don't fancy it.
    That is a very helpful post!!! Thanks!
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  8. #7
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489
    18" or 19" then????.....................hmmmmm

    I don't suppose anybody has heard about any Black Edition alloy and wheel deals by any chance???
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  9. #8
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,137

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Can't beat a B8 with a 20".






  10. #9
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489
    Waaay too big!
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  11. #10
    Brodster's Avatar
    Shark Performance In Scotland

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    3,406

    My Social Networking

    Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Reference the refurb buddy.....try the Audi garage. They're quoting wheel refurb for £49.95 per wheel. I dunno if that deal is up by you but its being done by the old Lomond group branches which have just been bought over.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

  12. #11
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    445
    WHo quoted you that for the repair? Have you tried Totaltrax in Lossie? 19" every time by the way!!!


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  13. #12
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    445
    As i said 19"s but i have 17's with winter tyres in the garage which i fit arounf november and take off in March.


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  14. #13
    Soft lad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    137
    For me, its all about how it looks. Going fast dosen't interest me, I cruise around. We get a day or 2 of snow so why choose 18 over 19 just because of that. I'm not a fan of different non Audi wheels as I think it makes it look tacky like an Escort turbo with TSW's on in the 90's. My next motor will have the 19" grey rotors on, I like them and they set the car off.

    Have a look on ebay for genuine audi parts and quite a few Audi dealers have deals on wheels and you know its genuine and not some fool selling a Britool spanner but writing "NOT SNAP ON" on the ad so when you search snap on it comes up with crap.

  15. #14
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Soft lad View Post
    For me, its all about how it looks. Going fast dosen't interest me, I cruise around. We get a day or 2 of snow so why choose 18 over 19 just because of that. I'm not a fan of different non Audi wheels as I think it makes it look tacky like an Escort turbo with TSW's on in the 90's. My next motor will have the 19" grey rotors on, I like them and they set the car off.

    Have a look on ebay for genuine audi parts and quite a few Audi dealers have deals on wheels and you know its genuine and not some fool selling a Britool spanner but writing "NOT SNAP ON" on the ad so when you search snap on it comes up with crap.
    Winter tyres are not all about snow. Anythingbelow 7 deg C and your normal tyres perform less and less as they should. Cold, wet, slippy, icy surfaces are what winter tyres excel in. And the difference in snow is astounding. I had them on my 335d which is renouned for being sh**e in snow and drove the 64 miles to ABerdeen through that bad winter a couple of years back on a weekly basis with no issues whatso ever even when others were struggling.

    All my own opinion but having worked for 5 years in Norway is ee the benefit in crappy weather not just snow. ANy sorry to go off topic


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  16. #15
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,137

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishS3 View Post
    Waaay too big!
    18"s are way to small

  17. #16
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489
    I defo want Audi Wheels. I like the Black Edition Rotors in Grey and the Dynamic ones (but they are way too expensive!) I've looked all over the net and ebay and can't find any deals anywhere!Riggsuzuki: We need to meet up soon, so I can compare the sizes as I need to order ASAP! lol
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  18. #17
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    445
    Always wary when blokes ask to meet up in car parks to compare sizes

    But yes mate have to get a quick meet at the weekend. Will give you a text on Saturday at some point. Gotta clean the white beast 1st.


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    60
    Im about to change my 18" s-line wheels to 19" wheels, same style as the Rs3 rotors, with an offset of (et43), I'm sticking with oem size tyres, 255/35/19 which should give a similar ride to the 245/40/18's. I think the 18" wheels look a bit too small on the A4.

    So my 5 arm s-line wheels will need to be sold to offset the expense of the new ones. Going for Goodyear eagle F1 assymetric 2's out of interest.

  20. #19
    Audi Dynamik's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,126
    19" RS3 Rotors would suit your car well
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.



  21. #20
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by tinka View Post
    Im about to change my 18" s-line wheels to 19" wheels, same style as the Rs3 rotors, with an offset of (et43), I'm sticking with oem size tyres, 255/35/19 which should give a similar ride to the 245/40/18's. I think the 18" wheels look a bit too small on the A4.

    So my 5 arm s-line wheels will need to be sold to offset the expense of the new ones. Going for Goodyear eagle F1 assymetric 2's out of interest.
    Where are you getting yours from? I can't seem to find any, without looking for hours on ebay that is!
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  22. #21
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489
    I really fancy the Black Edition Rotors in Gunmetal. Just don't know if you would really notice the difference in size between 18" ones and 19" ?????!!!!
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  23. #22
    DieselJake's Avatar
    God Mode

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,355
    Bigger is better, if they're pumped properly you won't feel much difference and anyone looking will have a trouser tent.

  24. #23
    Daggerit's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishS3 View Post
    I really fancy the Black Edition Rotors in Gunmetal. Just don't know if you would really notice the difference in size between 18" ones and 19" ?????!!!!
    Personally I'd say that I can see the difference because the 18" rotors look sort of stumpy compared to the 19" versions. 19's definitely look better for rotors!
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  25. #24
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    445
    Its all about size------- Bigger the better or so i am told!!! Its a myth that size doesnt matter according to my missus...........



    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  26. #25
    Soft lad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by riggssuzuki View Post
    Winter tyres are not all about snow. Anythingbelow 7 deg C and your normal tyres perform less and less as they should. Cold, wet, slippy, icy surfaces are what winter tyres excel in. And the difference in snow is astounding. I had them on my 335d which is renouned for being sh**e in snow and drove the 64 miles to ABerdeen through that bad winter a couple of years back on a weekly basis with no issues whatso ever even when others were struggling.

    All my own opinion but having worked for 5 years in Norway is ee the benefit in crappy weather not just snow. ANy sorry to go off topic
    I think I didn't make it clear, I was refering to Warren S3's comment ""1) They have far less bite for turning in snowy conditions in winter""

    I fully agree and am aware of what you say about winter tyres.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Opinions needed on a quote i got for............
    By darkspin in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16th December 2004, 14:56
  2. S3 Insurance quotes
    By Jodi in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15th November 2004, 16:22
  3. just been quoted 495 extra for 1.8t sport...
    By xdam in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 26th May 2004, 10:36
  4. Had any shock insurance quotes after a claim?
    By noodle in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21st October 2003, 05:10
  5. It's that time of year again - insurance quotes?
    By ColinM in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14th April 2003, 17:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO