Rear Shock Absorbers

AshA4

Ash
Reaction score
Guys I have a question please?

When I picked the car up from the garage yesterday they were fitting a rear passenger side shock absorber as they had found it was leaking on the final inspection.

They did not change the other and I thought nothing of it, thing is either it is the wrong shock or, because it is newer it is sitting about a finger higher, what I mean by this is on the drivers side the gap from tyre to arch is 2 fingers high and the passenger (new shock) the gap is 3-4 fingers high so a noticeable difference.

So looking at the front of the car the drivers side looks to be sitting lower due to opposite back being higher :(

So do you think the gap is because the shock is new and they should have changed them in a pair to stop them being uneven?
Or do you think it is because they have put on the wrong shock, as in not an S Line one?

I am gonna get Audi to look at it tomorrow as it is having new washer jets assembly fitted to the headlight wash as this is what is causing the washer fluid leak.
I think they should have changed them in a pair as the car is not sitting square....

I would always change as a pair. It will handle different too. Not good really.

Are the shocks the same on all b8 a4 avants then? As in the springs do the lowering on the SLine?
Gonna get Audi to check the shock is right part and then get then to stick a new one on right rear I recon.

Are the shocks the same on all b8 a4 avants then? As in the springs do the lowering on the SLine?
Gonna get Audi to check the shock is right part and then get then to stick a new one on right rear I recon.

I wouldn't have thought that the S-Line would have different dampers to the likes of the Sports suspension but you never know. I would get them to check and by saying the car feels unstable in corners they should replace the other one for you on safety grounds. ;) There wouldn't be any 'bedding in' for the shocks like there would be for springs and I would have thought on something like this they would swap out both at the same time.

Audi have done all the bits I wanted under warranty, but will not do the driver side rear shock as it is "within normal limits" there is only a 10mil difference in gap from tyre to arch, so they wont do this as nothing wrong with the shock, they say it will not affect the handling, safety or contribute to any uneven tyre wear etc.

So I have asked them to price it up for me to "pay for" so I know they are both new and will sit right, picking it up at 4pm so will see how much they want for the shock and fitting....

Agh the joys of having a car that i care about again hey :)

Audi want £193 to change a shock Ha Ha :)

think I will leave it, see if it settles (seems to be lower after a few speed humps taken on the left hand side) and may just upgrade when I got some spare change.