SD card music formats

Daggerit

Reaction score
Hey guys, as the title suggests, I'm looking to find out what formats you can have music on the SD cards as and still have it play. Basically I want to know if you can load iTunes files directly to it and just pop it in and play? Or will I have to convert them all to MP3 before putting them on the card?

Cheers lads!

I use a 8g usd stick in mine car. I put music straight on it from itunes and it works ok. It is slow sometimes in finding and playing the songs tho, so at a guess I would say it would be fine.

Thanks very much for that mate, glad to hear it. I might just make sure I get a 'class 10' SD card or whatever you call them. Hopefully that will help the speed issues but so long as I can listen to the music in the end I'll be pretty happy. :)

Do the playlists work as well or have you not tried that?

Cheers again, much appreciated! :)

I use both a sdhc card and an ipod touch.The sd card slots into the head unit, and the ipod through my AMI.Ive found that the ipod is very slow to access its files, and the sd card very quick.With sdhc cards now bieng available in 32/64 gb variants, the ipod will be redundant.Did have an ipod classic 160gb which was a nightmare and used to freeze.Even a new one did the same so that got ebayed.Can also use a usb stick through the AMI, but not a portable usb drive.Just wont initialise.I know that some variants of cars have issues with card types and capacitys though.Ill convert some music files later to differant formats on a card and ill post the results

That's perfect, thanks for your reply Johnny. I'm thinking the same thing about the iPod (although mine is actually an iPhone) so I was basically trying to find if I could use all the music from my iTunes without having to go into the glove box every time I get in the car. I look forward to your results!

Hey guys, as the title suggests, I'm looking to find out what formats you can have music on the SD cards as and still have it play. Basically I want to know if you can load iTunes files directly to it and just pop it in and play? Or will I have to convert them all to MP3 before putting them on the card?

Cheers lads!

Mate I picked my car up yesterday and it has the SD slot, I have one of these for my Canon 1100d and it is super quick.

Just need to decide weather to get the 16GB

Play.com - Buy PNY 16GB SD SDHC Class 10 Memory Card online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Or the 32GB one

Play.com - Buy PNY 32GB Professional SD HC Memory Card / Class 10 online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Both of which are Class 10 cards :)

Had a £15 voucher from O2 and the 32GB card was £14.99 delivered so that worked out perfectly... ;)

How do you copy the files from Itunes to the card? Is it just click and drag from the itunes music folder?

Done me test.On a 4gb microsd card in an adapter.
Recognised and play: WMA, AAC MP3 and M4A
Not recognised: AC3 APE AU FLAC MP2 OGG and WAV

How do you copy the files from Itunes to the card? Is it just click and drag from the itunes music folder?

Dont need to use Itunes mate if you have all your albums on your disk and in mp3 format, just drag each album folder you want onto the card and it will work in folder structure on the MMI :)

Dont need to use Itunes mate if you have all your albums on your disk and in mp3 format, just drag each album folder you want onto the card and it will work in folder structure on the MMI :)

This doesn't work if you've bought stuff on iTunes though unless you convert everything to mp3 which is why I was asking about what formats were accepted. :)

This doesn't work if you've bought stuff on iTunes though unless you convert everything to mp3 which is why I was asking about what formats were accepted. :)

All my albums are on itunes and rather than copy from cd's again which would take ages I would rather just copy them across. So i assume its just a copy and paste job from the music files in Itunes then.

I know **** all about itunes, and i think its a pig to use.But if you burn your files from itunes onto a disc, they lose their copyright, and can treat them as normal mp3

All my albums are on itunes and rather than copy from cd's again which would take ages I would rather just copy them across. So i assume its just a copy and paste job from the music files in Itunes then.

Just had a quick Google search and apparently it is as easy as this.

Open Itunes and open the SD card, drag and drop your music from Itunes music view window to the SD card window and your good to go.

Give it a bash with one album and see if it works, if it reads it in MMI then do the rest in one select and drag/drop :)

Just had a quick Google search and apparently it is as easy as this.

Open Itunes and open the SD card, drag and drop your music from Itunes music view window to the SD card window and your good to go.

Give it a bash with one album and see if it works, if it reads it in MMI then do the rest in one select and drag/drop :)

That sounds far too good to be true... ;)

If someone is able to try this and let us know the results it would be great! :)

Only thing I would add is MMI seems to have a 3,000 song limit per card, so not much point in bigger than 16G cards.

if you have more than 3,000 it will only read the first 3,000 and ignore the rest.

thats an interesting point.mabe thats why it didnt like my 1tb usb drive!!.Doesnt matter anyway, cos i can never decide on what i want to listen to and end up having the radio on!

Yep tried it tonight and it works, just highlight what albums you want in itunes and drag them to the D card folder, simples :)

Yep tried it tonight and it works, just highlight what albums you want in itunes and drag them to the D card folder, simples :)

Perfect, thanks for trying that out mate! I don't know if I have more than 3000 songs anyway (not that I'd want to listen to anyway!) so I don't think I'd have that problem. Maybe best to buy a couple 16GB cards next time then?

Can you play any video off the the SD cards?

Johnny, the car would need and external supply for the USB drive, thats why maybe it didnt work, i reckon a smaller one may have worked, the bigger drives are fairly power hungry and the USB port alone wont power them.

Sockie, I find it strange your ami was pig slow with ipod, as the 8P with say iphone is ridiculously fast & thats tbh a copoff setup ami, compared to the proper mmi you guys have got, so should be at minimum same speed or better.

Can you play any video off the the SD cards?

Johnny, the car would need and external supply for the USB drive, thats why maybe it didnt work, i reckon a smaller one may have worked, the bigger drives are fairly power hungry and the USB port alone wont power them.
Strange that, the drive has one lead and powered by usb.....in fact audi sell a usb powered hd as well.It couldnt initialise.

Sockie, I find it strange your ami was pig slow with ipod, as the 8P with say iphone is ridiculously fast & thats tbh a copoff setup ami, compared to the proper mmi you guys have got, so should be at minimum same speed or better.
Its real slow on all ipods....the 160 classic, the 16gb iphone and touch.Takes a while to initialise, and to navigate.The sd card on the other hand is almost instant! Thought about defragging the pods, but they are not recognised.The 160 was as it used a hd, but the others arent cos theyre flash

Alright guys, I got my shiny new class 10 SD card but had a question for you...

When I drag and drop the music from iTunes into the SD folder is all goes in as individual songs and not in the various artist/album folders, is this right and will the MMI organise it or do I need to create the folders and then drag into them because that could take a while for 2000+ songs.

Cheers!

When I drag and drop the music from iTunes into the SD folder is all goes in as individual songs and not in the various artist/album folders, is this right and will the MMI organise it or do I need to create the folders and then drag into them because that could take a while for 2000+ songs.

Cheers!

I would say plug it and play and let me know how you get on as i have just bopught my 32 gb class 10 ssd card he he
:friends:

Haha, I'm sure that you will probably get your card and be able to test it before I even see my car! Lol. So just let me know if you get there first and I'll do the same if I get my car before you get your card by some miracle! ;)

Cheers!
the mmi will sort them out as you can view the tracks as artist, or album etc.As long as they are correctly tagged that is.

The SD card is sat at home awaiting itunes music. Hope its as simple as it sounds. Basically go into music folder in itunes and drag and drop music files into the SD card. FIngers crossed.

The SD card is sat at home awaiting itunes music. Hope its as simple as it sounds. Basically go into music folder in itunes and drag and drop music files into the SD card. FIngers crossed.

That's what I've done so far but was just surprised when they were all displayed as single files without any folders. If the MMI is smart enough to separate them all then I'll give it a big kiss right in it's screen. Haha.

What a pain in the hoop!!!!!! I dragged all the itunes files to the SD card. The MMI system could not read them. I then converted them to MP3 and copied them across but then they all just appeared as singles not together in albums etc. GRRRRRRRRR. I think I have to bite the bullet and get the kids to copy them from cd to SD card.

Ok but if converted to mp3, did you stick these in folders, because unless they are monitored by itunes or wmp then they wont be in tree hierarchy mate, I used mp3 for all my tunes & wmp monitors my folders & edits the tag/album info from the net so I just copy complete artists folders across & voila, albeit on an rns-e but same principle.

What a pain in the hoop!!!!!! I dragged all the itunes files to the SD card. The MMI system could not read them. I then converted them to MP3 and copied them across but then they all just appeared as singles not together in albums etc. GRRRRRRRRR. I think I have to bite the bullet and get the kids to copy them from cd to SD card.

eh? If the tracks are tagged properly , shouldnt be a problem.Try to create an album folder, drag the tracks into that folder and then drag that folder onto the sd card.If they show in an album folder then the track isnt tagged properly

I tried that and the car didnt like it. I get a message along the lines of no recognisable files or something like that. How exactly did you copy the music to the SD card? Where from etc?

I tried that and the car didnt like it. I get a message along the lines of no recognisable files or something like that. How exactly did you copy the music to the SD card? Where from etc?

I literally had iTunes open in one window and the SD card open in the other and dragged from the iTunes window to the SD window. That what you're needing to do Ash?

Also, are you both running the same MMI system? Does one have DVD sat nav and the other HDD or anything like that? Maybe that has something to do with how the files are stored/accessed?

I literally had iTunes open in one window and the SD card open in the other and dragged from the iTunes window to the SD window. That what you're needing to do Ash?

Also, are you both running the same MMI system? Does one have DVD sat nav and the other HDD or anything like that? Maybe that has something to do with how the files are stored/accessed?

I have the DVD sat nav. The only way i seem to be able to get it to work is using mp3's and then it doesnt seem to keep them in Albums just singles so i get a long list of songs....I must be doing something wrong???