Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Time for remap

  1. #1
    golfather1's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    80

    Time for remap

    Hi Everyone

    I am in the market for to remap my Audi a4 2.0 tdi 170 2009. Last time I used Chipped UK for my Golf GTI but that was few years ago.

    Now its more confusing to chose tuning company because yhey are soo many with different prices & they all claim they are the BEST.


    I short listed some, I need your recommendations/experience & most important after sales customer service.

    REVO
    AMD Technik
    AMD Tuning
    DNA Tuning (I think they are part of AMD tuning)
    Bluefin
    CC tuning

    Thank you for your help in advance

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    50k
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    eleicester
    Posts
    41
    Not used any of the above, but I was thinking to have mine done with superchips (bluefin)

  4. #3
    Gio G's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by golfather1 View Post
    Hi Everyone

    I am in the market for to remap my Audi a4 2.0 tdi 170 2009. Last time I used Chipped UK for my Golf GTI but that was few years ago.

    Now its more confusing to chose tuning company because yhey are soo many with different prices & they all claim they are the BEST.


    I short listed some, I need your recommendations/experience & most important after sales customer service.

    REVO
    AMD Technik
    AMD Tuning
    DNA Tuning (I think they are part of AMD tuning)
    Bluefin
    CC tuning

    Thank you for your help in advance
    DNA is run by John Robins, who I understand writes software for other big companies. Seen lots of very good feedback for his work, never negative and seems to be a bit of a master on the diesel maps. He also races his own car, therefore has close links with Motorsport.

  5. #4
    Pyeman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    110
    I would not use Revo.

    I would not use AMD or any other company if they use Revo software.

    I have never seen a well mapped Revo car.
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6


  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    I'm interested in your thoughts on Revo as after extensive research that is who I went with. My car is rapid now but only if I want it to be. If I drive normally it feels just like it did before the remap. I have never done anything like this before and was extremely nervous about taking the plunge but glad I did. What I had expected but didn't get, which I think is more a symptom of the car, was to make the car feel less sluggish before the turbo kicked in. Sadly, I think this is something none of the mappers could have fixed and just relates to the big lump of a car the A4 tdi can be. A particular aspect of the A4 tdi I don't like in comparison to my VW tdi is that if you turn up a steep hill in 2nd gear 9 times out of 10 you have to change into 1st which is a real pain with the Audi gear box. Most folk I have read nearly always have an issue with Audi 1st gear particularly when the car is cold. I don't know if this power issue might be the CR diesel engine as my VW wasn't CR.

    The other thing I would say is that the agent I used was the most patient helpful person that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He could have pushed me down the route of another product with greater financial gain for him but he didn't. He sold me the product he believed was best for my car and I sincerely believe he meant it. I really hassled the life out of this guy and he never flinched once and he always reminded me about the 30 day no questions asked refund if I was not happy, for any reason!

    The main reason I did the remap was to actually make overtaking easier and simpler. I am not a boy racer I just needed the extra power to get out of difficult situations and get passed tractors and other slow moving vehicles on B-roads.

  7. #6
    golfather1's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    80
    Lol getting all mix feedback. I think in the end its up to my personal preference what I need from my remap.

    anyone used DNA tuning in this forum.

    Thanks everyone for quick response :-)

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by golfather1 View Post
    Hi Everyone

    I am in the market for to remap my Audi a4 2.0 tdi 170 2009. Last time I used Chipped UK for my Golf GTI but that was few years ago.

    Now its more confusing to chose tuning company because yhey are soo many with different prices & they all claim they are the BEST.


    I short listed some, I need your recommendations/experience & most important after sales customer service.

    REVO
    AMD Technik
    AMD Tuning
    DNA Tuning (I think they are part of AMD tuning)
    Bluefin
    CC tuning

    Thank you for your help in advance
    I have the exact same car.I used ECU Chip Tuning for Petrol & Diesel Cars: CNL Remapping Ltd and Colin was brilliant.He comes to you, plugs into the obd, takes a reading, sends it to germany, gets the remap info and remaps you there and then.You have an engine specific map.Massive differance, much more torqe.He keeps a copy of your original map.Really recommend him.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  9. #8
    Pyeman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnythepie View Post
    I have the exact same car.I used ECU Chip Tuning for Petrol & Diesel Cars: CNL Remapping Ltd and Colin was brilliant.He comes to you, plugs into the obd, takes a reading, sends it to Germany, gets the remap info and remaps you there and then.You have an engine specific map.Massive difference, much more torque.He keeps a copy of your original map.Really recommend him.

    Nice to here someone has had a proper job done by someone who know what's right.

    How much was this??
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6


  10. #9
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tonbridge, Kent
    Posts
    912
    Your choices could be limited by the age of your car. I have remapped a few 170's and it's a close call as to wether or not you need a bench map (ecu out) or an obd map (sat in car with laptop). I did a 58 plate superb and it was fine, but Ben at Shark HQ had to take the ecu out on a 58 plate octavia with the same CR170 engine.

    Where are you located?

    Rob

  11. #10
    golfather1's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio G View Post
    DNA is run by John Robins, who I understand writes software for other big companies. Seen lots of very good feedback for his work, never negative and seems to be a bit of a master on the diesel maps. He also races his own car, therefore has close links with Motorsport.
    Thanks budy for your feedback, I am intrested to find out more about DNA map ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyeman View Post
    I would not use Revo.

    I would not use AMD or any other company if they use Revo software.

    I have never seen a well mapped Revo car.
    hmmm I heard one or 2 bad things about revo too, But I am surprise to hear about AMD they been doing this from years. I thought they know what they doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingbear View Post
    I'm interested in your thoughts on Revo as after extensive research that is who I went with. My car is rapid now but only if I want it to be. If I drive normally it feels just like it did before the remap. I have never done anything like this before and was extremely nervous about taking the plunge but glad I did. What I had expected but didn't get, which I think is more a symptom of the car, was to make the car feel less sluggish before the turbo kicked in. Sadly, I think this is something none of the mappers could have fixed and just relates to the big lump of a car the A4 tdi can be. A particular aspect of the A4 tdi I don't like in comparison to my VW tdi is that if you turn up a steep hill in 2nd gear 9 times out of 10 you have to change into 1st which is a real pain with the Audi gear box. Most folk I have read nearly always have an issue with Audi 1st gear particularly when the car is cold. I don't know if this power issue might be the CR diesel engine as my VW wasn't CR.

    The other thing I would say is that the agent I used was the most patient helpful person that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He could have pushed me down the route of another product with greater financial gain for him but he didn't. He sold me the product he believed was best for my car and I sincerely believe he meant it. I really hassled the life out of this guy and he never flinched once and he always reminded me about the 30 day no questions asked refund if I was not happy, for any reason!

    The main reason I did the remap was to actually make overtaking easier and simpler. I am not a boy racer I just needed the extra power to get out of difficult situations and get passed tractors and other slow moving vehicles on B-roads.
    thank you for your help mate


    Quote Originally Posted by johnnythepie View Post
    I have the exact same car.I used ECU Chip Tuning for Petrol & Diesel Cars: CNL Remapping Ltd and Colin was brilliant.He comes to you, plugs into the obd, takes a reading, sends it to germany, gets the remap info and remaps you there and then.You have an engine specific map.Massive differance, much more torqe.He keeps a copy of your original map.Really recommend him.
    Thanks mate, Ill look into ECU Chip tuning as well

    Quote Originally Posted by W8 Performance View Post
    Your choices could be limited by the age of your car. I have remapped a few 170's and it's a close call as to wether or not you need a bench map (ecu out) or an obd map (sat in car with laptop). I did a 58 plate superb and it was fine, but Ben at Shark HQ had to take the ecu out on a 58 plate octavia with the same CR170 engine.

    Where are you located?

    Rob
    I think they all getting files from Germany, I wonder how it works is it someone from audi invlove in this or they all lie & send email/file to China for remap LOL

    I am in Birmingham mate.

  12. #11
    Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.'s Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stockport, Cheshire
    Posts
    748
    Hello,

    we did one of these at the weekend together with a DPF removal, drove very nicely

    We write all our own software so can alter it to suit anything you may require. We would also remove the ECU on any later car so we can get a full backup of the original file, this simply cannot be done over OBD.

    Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

  13. #12
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by W8 Performance View Post
    Your choices could be limited by the age of your car. I have remapped a few 170's and it's a close call as to wether or not you need a bench map (ecu out) or an obd map (sat in car with laptop). I did a 58 plate superb and it was fine, but Ben at Shark HQ had to take the ecu out on a 58 plate octavia with the same CR170 engine.

    Where are you located?

    Rob
    must be a nightmare with all the differant variants.My car has a ppd ecu, and there were not many firms that would do a ppd.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  14. #13
    golfather1's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    Hello,

    we did one of these at the weekend together with a DPF removal, drove very nicely

    We write all our own software so can alter it to suit anything you may require. We would also remove the ECU on any later car so we can get a full backup of the original file, this simply cannot be done over OBD.

    Rick
    Hi Rick
    DPF/ Diesel particulate filter is that mean if i you take this off I can see smoke when If put my foot down ?

    sorry I am still new to diesel cars & still learning

    Thank you for your help

  15. #14
    Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.'s Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stockport, Cheshire
    Posts
    748
    Not necessarily. It depends on how we/you choose to tune it. Most cars end up putting out a small puff if the car has been idling a long time and then full power is requested. It certainly won't smoke continuously on full throttle. A lot of smoke is a sign that too much diesel is being injected, but Diesels do make the most power with some visible smoke. On a newer car we wouldn't usually map like this unless the customer insisted!

    Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

  16. #15
    Pyeman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    110
    Sorry, I must point out the I would use AMD to tune my car as they check and double check everything inc loads of dyno runs and test driving cars before and after remapping. I have seen very good things come out of their workshop in Thurrock.

    I wouldn't use them or anybody else if they want to use Revo software to put my car that's all. I would go to someone who writes their on maps and knows the engines they are working on. They will get the best from your car on the day.

    Cars I've seen on Dyno's etc running Revo software run very high fuel pressures and boost spike badly, lump the power straight in so the car is hard work to drive fast at low rpm, which does nothing good for any engine. Just look on the net to see how many people have problems after Revo software has been uploaded to their ECU and change to another tuner.

    I won't say any more about Revo in this thread or it may get locked.
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. In Gear times for Remapped S3 ?
    By corradoman in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th February 2008, 19:24
  2. Time for a facelift?
    By Anito in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th December 2003, 08:17
  3. 'Bout time for intro.
    By batty in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 5th September 2003, 16:09
  4. 0-100 times for chipped S3
    By DuncS3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th August 2003, 10:32
  5. time for a new post lol!!!
    By CARACTERE007 in forum A2 forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd January 2003, 18:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO