Checking engine oil on MMI

Gio G

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to these forums...

Someone over at Pistonheads with 2.0TFSI was telling a story of how his engine needed replacing after it comsumed quite allot of oil over a period of time. This got me thinking that I should check my oil. So no dipstick, the oil must be checked via the MMI, under the car settings.. So this is where the fun and games start. Engine is warmed up I go the oil settings says something like "Wait approx 2 mins and switch engine off oil levels will appear" I make sure I am on a flat surface..

So I turn the engine off, however not fully out on the ignition, go to the oil settings again, says please switch on ignition to configure the car settings!!! So followed the manual, it doesn't work. I have opened the bonnet in hope that it may initiate oil settings - no luck.. Anyone else had this problem? Just want to check the oil level!!!

Never had this problem, mine works ok. I purchased the dipstick and although I don't leave it in it's good to be able to check the oil regularly the old fashioned way.

Never had this problem, mine works ok. I purchased the dipstick and although I don't leave it in it's good to be able to check the oil regularly the old fashioned way.

I've been thinking about buying a dipstick,did you get it from Audi,i've never really looked but is there a blank where the dipstick would sit and is it easily accessable??One reason is to check the level and also after service to see if the oil has actually been changed

Never had a problem with the MMi not showing oil level.

Genuine Audi dipstick, got it from the WV/Audi spares place at the bottom of Portrack Lane, Stockton.

Hi all,

New to these forums...

So I turn the engine off, however not fully out on the ignition, go to the oil settings again, says please switch on ignition to configure the car settings!!! So followed the manual, it doesn't work. I have opened the bonnet in hope that it may initiate oil settings - no luck.. Anyone else had this problem? Just want to check the oil level!!!

This works for me: When engine is warm, after a run, switch the engine off and remove the key fob. Wait for a good two minutes then insert the key fob and turn on the ignition, but not the engine. Then go into the MMI system, car settings, oil level, as before and you should be O.K.
Hope this helps?

Reactions: riggssuzuki
My MMIoil reading was showing just below halfway between min and max the other day.
So in prep for popping in for a litre of oil to top up tomorrow I thought I would check the oil level after filling my washer fluid.
First I got "oil information is not available at this time" or similar then it showed the min and max but no level at all as if empty?
So followed the steps in the manual and now I get the "oil information is not available at this time"
What a PITA this is, what a crap design, how the hell are you meant to check the level as you are topping up, have seen posts online that say wait a couple of days for it to read!!! What between each top up?
I want to be able to check as I top it up so I don't overfill it!
No oil warning lights on dash at all and hood sensor is working?

Where can I get a dip stick from!

Help!

Last edited:
There maybe something faulty with your car sensor or something :L
Ive had a look around, cant seem to find much,
But would this be any help ?
Laser Tools 4807 Oil Gauge/dipstick Audi

Cheers, was speaking to Audi this morning (while they mugged me off for a litre of oil in a pouch) and the workshop guy said they have one they use for servicing but that it is wafer thin, as the tube that is bunged off on the a4 is very thin so I guess a normal dipstick won’t go down it?

Think the senors are ok as did the DIS "Set" check with no issues found and the bonnet also shows as open on the DIS.
I managed to get the MMI to show the oil anyway, after driving to Audi this morning the temp was at 90 on the gauge and on pulling up, even with the engine running it showed the oil, it is about one block from the bottom so I am gonna bung the litre in (half a time) when I get home after letting it settle, that is as long as the MMI shows me it again lol

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a dipstick tube on the 3.0TDI? I can't find one. Using the MMI is a pain, I prefer to do when I'm checking the washers, etc.

MMI showed the oil level when I got home from work, so turned off engine and added half a litre from the top up bottle.
Put oil cap on and closed bonnet, turned ignition on and MMI showed 3 quarters full (so left at that) it also showed the oil level on the DIS.
So all is well :)
What I will say is it works well as long as the engine is warm (90 on temp gauge) or it complains about all sorts.

SOLUTION!!!!

Just to let everyone know, I have an Audi A4 B8 2009 2.0TDI Engine, i have done my research just like everyone else about this annoying dipstick issue. My dipstick tube is located underneath engine cover with a plug.

I found a solution at long last!!!!

I purchased this dipstick which was perfectly correct for my vehicle on eBay- CLICK HERE

Now I can always check my oil level on both MMI and manually finally.

Reactions: Gaz170
You was robbed big style!!

03L115611J is the one to buy £7.49 plus VAT from any VW dealer.

I bet the 03L115611E is about the same price, will be very slightly different length, but the Passat one I have works fine on my 08 2.0 TDI and 13 2.0 TDI.

Reactions: macradiators and Gaz170
I had trouble with this when I first got my car. What the manual doesn't tell you is that once you have warmed up the engine and turned it off you should take the key out the ignition and wait 2 mins and then turn the ignition on my pushing the key in the whole way but without pressing the clutch down. This will turn on just the ignition and then you check oil level through the mmi and it should come up first time :audibash: