Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rabhrab

Thread: Checking engine oil on MMI

Reverse Gear

Status

Checking engine oil on MMI

Hi all,

New to these forums...

Someone over at Pistonheads with 2.0TFSI was telling a story of how his engine needed replacing after it comsumed quite allot of oil over a period of time. This got me thinking that I should check my oil. So no dipstick, the oil must be checked via the MMI, under the car settings.. So this is where the fun and games start. Engine is warmed up I go the oil settings says something like "Wait approx 2 mins and switch engine off oil levels will appear" I make sure I am on a flat surface..

So I turn the engine off, however not fully out on the ignition, go to the oil settings again, says please switch on ignition to configure the car settings!!! So followed the manual, it doesn't work. I have opened the bonnet in hope that it may initiate oil settings - no luck.. Anyone else had this problem? Just want to check the oil level!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Never had this problem, mine works ok. I purchased the dipstick and although I don't leave it in it's good to be able to check the oil regularly the old fashioned way.
    Trev

Sparky

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev241 View Post
    Never had this problem, mine works ok. I purchased the dipstick and although I don't leave it in it's good to be able to check the oil regularly the old fashioned way.
    I've been thinking about buying a dipstick,did you get it from Audi,i've never really looked but is there a blank where the dipstick would sit and is it easily accessable??One reason is to check the level and also after service to see if the oil has actually been changed

Never had a problem with the MMi not showing oil level.
    2.0Tdi 170 Black Edtion Avant

1st Gear

Status
    Genuine Audi dipstick, got it from the WV/Audi spares place at the bottom of Portrack Lane, Stockton.
    Trev

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio G View Post
    Hi all,

New to these forums...

So I turn the engine off, however not fully out on the ignition, go to the oil settings again, says please switch on ignition to configure the car settings!!! So followed the manual, it doesn't work. I have opened the bonnet in hope that it may initiate oil settings - no luck.. Anyone else had this problem? Just want to check the oil level!!!
    This works for me: When engine is warm, after a run, switch the engine off and remove the key fob. Wait for a good two minutes then insert the key fob and turn on the ignition, but not the engine. Then go into the MMI system, car settings, oil level, as before and you should be O.K.
    Hope this helps?
    riggssuzuki likes this.

Ash

Status
    My MMIoil reading was showing just below halfway between min and max the other day.
    So in prep for popping in for a litre of oil to top up tomorrow I thought I would check the oil level after filling my washer fluid.
    First I got "oil information is not available at this time" or similar then it showed the min and max but no level at all as if empty?
    So followed the steps in the manual and now I get the "oil information is not available at this time"
    What a PITA this is, what a crap design, how the hell are you meant to check the level as you are topping up, have seen posts online that say wait a couple of days for it to read!!! What between each top up?
    I want to be able to check as I top it up so I don't overfill it!
    No oil warning lights on dash at all and hood sensor is working?

Where can I get a dip stick from!

Help!
    Last edited by AshA4; 24th January 2013 at 21:14.

B8 A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 143 | S-Line Executive | Lava Grey | Privacy Glass - Auto Dim/Fold Mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    There maybe something faulty with your car sensor or something :L
    Ive had a look around, cant seem to find much,
    But would this be any help ?
    Laser Tools 4807 Oil Gauge/dipstick Audi
    Last edited by Audi Dynamik; 24th January 2013 at 22:35.
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.

Reputation given for the best answer.

Ash

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi Dynamik View Post
    There maybe something faulty with your car sensor or something :L
    Ive had a look around, cant seem to find much,
    But would this be any help ?
    Laser Tools 4807 Oil Gauge/dipstick Audi
    Cheers, was speaking to Audi this morning (while they mugged me off for a litre of oil in a pouch) and the workshop guy said they have one they use for servicing but that it is wafer thin, as the tube that is bunged off on the a4 is very thin so I guess a normal dipstick won’t go down it?

Think the senors are ok as did the DIS "Set" check with no issues found and the bonnet also shows as open on the DIS.
    I managed to get the MMI to show the oil anyway, after driving to Audi this morning the temp was at 90 on the gauge and on pulling up, even with the engine running it showed the oil, it is about one block from the bottom so I am gonna bung the litre in (half a time) when I get home after letting it settle, that is as long as the MMI shows me it again lol
    Last edited by AshA4; 25th January 2013 at 13:02.

B8 A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 143 | S-Line Executive | Lava Grey | Privacy Glass - Auto Dim/Fold Mirrors

Reverse Gear

Status
    Does anyone know if there is a dipstick tube on the 3.0TDI? I can't find one. Using the MMI is a pain, I prefer to do when I'm checking the washers, etc.

Ash

Status
    MMI showed the oil level when I got home from work, so turned off engine and added half a litre from the top up bottle.
    Put oil cap on and closed bonnet, turned ignition on and MMI showed 3 quarters full (so left at that) it also showed the oil level on the DIS.
    So all is well
    What I will say is it works well as long as the engine is warm (90 on temp gauge) or it complains about all sorts.