AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnnythepie

Thread: Common problems

  1. #1
    Jord's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ellesmere port
    Posts
    273

    Common problems

    Looking at getting b8 avant, just wanted to know if anyone knows any common problemsi should be looking for, either engine wise or anything else
    ive got a 2.0tdi bkd 8p at the moment and had nothing but murder with it and don't fancy the same again with next car
    been looking at the 2.0tdi 170 b8
    thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Jord's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ellesmere port
    Posts
    273
    Anyone? Anything?

  4. #3
    Daggerit's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    900
    I don't have mine yet so couldn't comment on a lot of issues. The only thing I've heard is that the 170 is much thirstier than Audi advertise so you're looking at mid to late 30's for mpg as far as I remember. I got this combined with an A5 3.0 TDi on a 3 hour test drive so if you have the cash then the mpg works out about the same in real world conditions (in my limited experience) but you have the extra power if you want it.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  5. #4
    Audi Novice

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    381
    Avoid the 170 like the plague!
    3.0 TDi to 2.0 TFSi are the way to go!
    Audi Northampton, Audi Ipswich, and Audi UK are rubbish and lack the basic skills of customer service.
    Please read my posts about my experience, and I hope this helps you to make the decision not to buy an Audi 2.0 TDi 170 engine, they are not fit for purpose and the tolerance levels are a joke.

  6. #5
    Daggerit's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    900
    Yeah I had the 170 on my 2010d A3 and although it got a genuine 61mpg on the motorway at 62mph behind a van once (we were in convoy) on average it wasn't much, if any, better than TripleD's.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  7. #6
    Jord's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ellesmere port
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    Avoid the 170 like the plague!
    3.0 TDi to 2.0 TFSi are the way to go!
    Insurance is too exspensive on 3.0tdi
    whats wrong with 170's
    im getting on a average drive around town about 50mpg on a3

  8. #7
    Audi Novice

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Insurance is too exspensive on 3.0tdi
    whats wrong with 170's
    im getting on a average drive around town about 50mpg on a3
    Well in normal terms you need to be doing way over 15k a year to make a diesel actually pay for itself, and around town diesels aren't the best. The 170 engine isn't that great, it's very thirsty for what it is, the 2.0 tfsi is a better option if the 3.0 is too expensive.
    Also depends whether your planning on FWD or quattro.
    Audi Northampton, Audi Ipswich, and Audi UK are rubbish and lack the basic skills of customer service.
    Please read my posts about my experience, and I hope this helps you to make the decision not to buy an Audi 2.0 TDi 170 engine, they are not fit for purpose and the tolerance levels are a joke.

  9. #8
    Daggerit's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    Well in normal terms you need to be doing way over 15k a year to make a diesel actually pay for itself, and around town diesels aren't the best. The 170 engine isn't that great, it's very thirsty for what it is, the 2.0 tfsi is a better option if the 3.0 is too expensive.
    Also depends whether your planning on FWD or quattro.
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I chose the 3.0 TDi this time as it was the only diesel version with quattro and s-tronic combo so it kinda norrowed down the option! Haha.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Insurance is too exspensive on 3.0tdi
    whats wrong with 170's
    im getting on a average drive around town about 50mpg on a3
    I have just taken out insurance on a new 3.0 and paid £300 for a year and I did not even have a NCB to use on it, although I do have a long history of without claims.

    My Golf costs £170 with full NCB so I am feeling pretty happy with that.

  11. #10
    Daggerit's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by hmy7k View Post
    I have just taken out insurance on a new 3.0 and paid £300 for a year and I did not even have a NCB to use on it, although I do have a long history of without claims.

    My Golf costs £170 with full NCB so I am feeling pretty happy with that.
    Yeah... Mine was about 4 times that.

    But then I'm only 26 with 2 years no claims (bikes up until then) and 11 points so I'm doing not too bad I don't think! Haha.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  12. #11
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Looking at getting b8 avant, just wanted to know if anyone knows any common problemsi should be looking for, either engine wise or anything else
    ive got a 2.0tdi bkd 8p at the moment and had nothing but murder with it and don't fancy the same again with next car
    been looking at the 2.0tdi 170 b8
    thanks
    I have a 2.0tdi 170 b8 manual.Its a slug, and a thirsty one.I average 32-35 to the gallon.Its remapped to about 200bhp and still cant get anywhere near a 320.Has a ****ty elbow rest, squeaky folding mirrors and isnt the same build quality as a b7.It has eibach arbs, 19" wheels and still handles like a 2cv.But i love the way it looks.If its looks you want then the b8 does it every time.For engine and chassis, bmw every time
    TripleD likes this.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  13. #12
    Jord's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ellesmere port
    Posts
    273
    Yeah I roughly do about 12,000 a yeah and the missus may be using it so that will increase millage, il have to test drive one
    i have also been looking the E91 aswell
    the cars gonna be used as a dog and kid chariot, but I do want it to be nippy

  14. #13
    Audi Novice

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Yeah I roughly do about 12,000 a yeah and the missus may be using it so that will increase millage, il have to test drive one
    i have also been looking the E91 aswell
    the cars gonna be used as a dog and kid chariot, but I do want it to be nippy
    Loads of space in the boot of an A4 for the dog, the E91 has less decent space on paper only by 30litres, but in practice the boot in the A4 is better setout because the square area, the E91 has teh arches to contend with. Would highly recommend looking at a hatchbag though, just got one for my BMW, and they are awesome, best bootliners I've seen so far.

    I did love the A4 design for the back as you could have luggage screen up to keep the dog in the boot, and take the boot cover piece out completely. Whereas the E91 it's all 1 unit, and sticks out a bit. I prefer the luggage screen on the BMW as it's large squares over the kind of solid screen with loads of holes you get in the A4, but the A4 one was still good.

    For 12K miles depending on how long you planning on owning it, you might want to calcuate out if a diesel is worth while. Petrol is cheaper, and the cars are cheaper, and from what I've read the TFSi engines are really nice, I only test drove a couple, and they seemed pretty nice.
    Audi Northampton, Audi Ipswich, and Audi UK are rubbish and lack the basic skills of customer service.
    Please read my posts about my experience, and I hope this helps you to make the decision not to buy an Audi 2.0 TDi 170 engine, they are not fit for purpose and the tolerance levels are a joke.

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggerit View Post
    Yeah... Mine was about 4 times that.

    But then I'm only 26 with 2 years no claims (bikes up until then) and 11 points so I'm doing not too bad I don't think! Haha.
    You are going to have to watch out when you get your 3.0 the speed limit arrives very quickly.

  16. #15
    Daggerit's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by hmy7k View Post
    You are going to have to watch out when you get your 3.0 the speed limit arrives very quickly.
    Tell me about it. Not as quickly as with the 300bhp Astra VXR I have at the minute though! The difference is that the Astra seems to want to go fast a lot more than the A4 I drove. I found it much easier to stick to the limits thankfully!
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  17. #16
    Jord's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ellesmere port
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    Loads of space in the boot of an A4 for the dog, the E91 has less decent space on paper only by 30litres, but in practice the boot in the A4 is better setout because the square area, the E91 has teh arches to contend with. Would highly recommend looking at a hatchbag though, just got one for my BMW, and they are awesome, best bootliners I've seen so far.

    I did love the A4 design for the back as you could have luggage screen up to keep the dog in the boot, and take the boot cover piece out completely. Whereas the E91 it's all 1 unit, and sticks out a bit. I prefer the luggage screen on the BMW as it's large squares over the kind of solid screen with loads of holes you get in the A4, but the A4 one was still good.

    For 12K miles depending on how long you planning on owning it, you might want to calcuate out if a diesel is worth while. Petrol is cheaper, and the cars are cheaper, and from what I've read the TFSi engines are really nice, I only test drove a couple, and they seemed pretty nice.
    Yeah, im planning to keep it a while, I'm looking at a 2-3 yeah old, il have to test drive them, hopefully they will give me 24 hr test drive so I can test the dog and brats in it
    Just really wanted to know if the b8 has got any problems, eg turbo, egr valve, wiper motors

  18. #17
    Pyeman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Yeah, im planning to keep it a while, I'm looking at a 2-3 yeah old, il have to test drive them, hopefully they will give me 24 hr test drive so I can test the dog and brats in it
    Just really wanted to know if the b8 has got any problems, eg turbo, egr valve, wiper motors

    EGR cooler is a common fault on the 2.7 and 3ltr TDi. Mine has just been done at 35k and it would cost £1300 if you paid yourself.
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6


  19. #18
    EK
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    5
    Hi 20TFSI is the way forward

    Regards

  20. #19
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by EK View Post
    Hi 20TFSI is the way forward

    Regards
    S4

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. B7 RS4 common problems??
    By john_cook in forum RS4 Forum (B5 and B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 6th October 2008, 11:55
  2. Common Problems
    By pav-g in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st March 2008, 13:10
  3. s3- what to look for/common problems
    By poweller in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th March 2007, 13:32
  4. Common problems?
    By golf in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd February 2007, 19:18
  5. Common Problems with 1996-2000 A4'S
    By hpolanco in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th November 2006, 22:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO