Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2.0 Tfsi hesitation whilst under Hard Acceleration

6th Gear

Status

2.0 Tfsi hesitation whilst under Hard Acceleration

Hello,
    Recently a few days ago a problem started on my A4 2.0 Tfsi Quattro Manual Saloon Dynamik 11 Plate, when i accelerate hard in all gears when the revs start to get quite high you can feel abit of a judder/hesitation but it only happens when the Engine is warm, I am not sure what this problem is. I have only done 11,500 miles and i only have 1 modification which is a Revo Remap since about 5000 Miles, and i am not sure whether or not to take it back to Audi or not with the Remap, There is also a New Software Update available on my car which might override the Remap.
    Also a few months ago i used to use Shell V Power but i got fed up with having to Travel to the Shell Garage as it is quite far away from my Home/Work, so i started to use Tesco 99 Momentum and i get told that it is a bad fuel for my car and you are far better off using Shell V Power and it could be the problem for your car, but i am not sure what it is, a couple of days ago i filled my tank full with Tesco 99 Momentum so i am going to use it all up and fill it full with V Power and give it a good blast and see if it Improves.
    Please help me out,
    Thanks
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.

Reputation given for the best answer.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    It could be fuel cut, but I doubt it at stage 1. Is it really making 305bhp? That seems a bit high if it was 211bhp as standard?

Maybe get some logs done and see what the requested and actual fuel pressure is?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am in the same situation as you. Revo remapped on V-power now running Momentum. Difference is mines a S5 with all mods bar supercharger.

This is exactly what mine does, mine is like it skips a beat but only when it's cold. Think mine is spark-plugs tho as there due for a change. Service booked in 2 weeks time.

Going to try tank of V-power tho like urself.

1st Gear

Status
    I would say it was a bad revo map. I have never seen a good revo map, they boost spike like made to make the power.

I would get it on a dyno and see what its doing.
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the help, it seems to stop hesitating when the engine is warm now, although it seems to be getting better than at first its was really bad, i am just going to run this tesco 99 stuff down and fill it full with V Power and see how i go on.
    I cant see it being a dodgey Remap because i phoned Revo Northampton headquarters before i had it done and asked them if this place in Preston is good where i am getting it done and they guy actually said he knows him and he is fantastic and being doing tuning many of years through the family, Revo claim that they can get 305 Bhp out of it but some people doubt that and some people say it is 272, but the car has got a vvl (Variable Valve Lift) engine which can take the power with out any other modification and will not damage the car, apart from the hesitation it runs fine as usual.
    Thanks again
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.

6th Gear

Status
    and i cant really see it being the spark plugs due to the mileage and age really, everybody claims Tesco 99 is a bad fuel and it may not be good enough for high performance cars like the S5 and mine,
    The V power has better additives which are Blended in with the fuel where as Tesco 99 has bad additives which are just added and not blended in with the fuel.
    personally i think its the fuel but i will see and let you know.

1st Gear

Status
    not got the remap but tbh i found Momentum to be the best of the SU fuels i tried, better than the shell stuff in fact, as regards mileage anyway.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have experienced the same since my REVO remap. Basically feels like it misses a beat under hard acceleration unless fully warmed up. Would take it back for a rolling road check up but need to get the time. Let me know if you find anything.

2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

6th Gear

Status
    right will do, what fuel are you using ?

2nd Gear

Status
    I have tried them all. Normal supermarket unleaded, super unleaded, momentum, Vpower etc. All show the same hesitation. If this is a remap issue i would hope REVO would do a fix.

6th Gear

Status
    This could be a problem and slow our cars down abit then.. Revo have a Software Update available for our car which is £65 which might solve the problem im not sure, but if it is the remap which part of the power and and engine component do not mix which causes this problem ?? No Engine Lights are coming on or anythin :L
    But its only just started happening so why hasnt it started before now ?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi dynamik View Post
    Revo have a Software Update available for our car which is £65 which might solve the problem im not sure

That would set alarm bells ringing for me!!! Get the map off asap and go to another tuner who know what they are doing.

I have never heard of an update for a remap. I have a friend who does this for a living and say's to me "stay clear of Revo"

If there was an update, it should be done for free!! Does Audi charge you for a software update, NO.

Revo buy their maps from a company in Germany and don't do any file writing them self's.

That miss fire you and having is the start of and the car having signs of detonation and your knock sensor kicking in the cool the pistons down. This would be due to the car having a boost spike map. I would get this on the dyno asap.

You may have big BHP and LBFT but is the engine safe??? You could even find someone local with Vagcom and do some logs and see what your car is doing live and then you know what is really going on!!
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6

6th Gear

Status
    Im pretty anoyed though, spending £500 and now i have to get rid of it !

1st Gear

Status
    ABT are by far the beat company to work on Audi's over the years.

Here is the power they get from a remap, have a read here.............................................

ABT Sportsline car configurator

6th Gear

Status
    Pyeman - good post above.

Abt - such as shame Audi Germany will warranty their work but not Audi Gmbh or Audi UK

I used to deal with Audi UK HQ and it was certainly discussed but it came to nothing.
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scoTTy View Post
    Pyeman - good post above.

Abt - such as shame Audi Germany will warranty their work but not Audi Gmbh or Audi UK

I used to deal with Audi UK HQ and it was certainly discussed but it came to nothing.

Thanks Scotty.

Just another point, after talking to another major UK Tuner today (a close friend and he has mapped over 1000 cars over the past 20 years), he said that the spark plugs could be an issue. Its not the plug itself but the gap. Vauxhall Zlets and Evo 4G63's can blow the spark out with standard plugs hence a misfire under 100% throttle. Irridium plugs with a smaller gap may cure the problem.

Just an idea.

Reverse Gear

Status
    i got revo an have the same thing happen as i change gear at full throttle it takes a second to take off again like the boost drops off an has to build up again i hear the diverter valve might leak a bit an lose boost, a dump valve might sort it out as the presure is dumped in the the air insted of gettin trapped an slowing down the turbo, has anyone fitted one an did it help with boost ,i got stage 2 an that helped a bit but its still there also the intercooler is ok but when u got over 300hp i think it gets heat soaked an that will delay response

1st Gear

Status
    there's a revo subforum here, maybe some questions should be directed there?
    i dunno what warranty/guarantee you got but if there's an update they should be offering it free and not charging for it, if it implies the first item you bought wasn't working correctly.

@Pyeman - that ABT thing mentions brackets and fitting, what's that all about?

6th Gear

Status
    We have already created another one on the Revo Forum, just thought about putting it on here aswell if anybody else knows anything about it.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davyb0y View Post
    i got revo an have the same thing happen as i change gear at full throttle it takes a second to take off again like the boost drops off an has to build up again i hear the diverter valve might leak a bit an lose boost, a dump valve might sort it out as the presure is dumped in the the air insted of gettin trapped an slowing down the turbo, has anyone fitted one an did it help with boost ,i got stage 2 an that helped a bit but its still there also the intercooler is ok but when u got over 300hp i think it gets heat soaked an that will delay response
    A stalling turbo doesn't sound at all good.

I'd steer clear of dump values and stikc to diverters. Maybe the pressures etc need a different valve but I wouldn't go down the WHOOOSH route as the car is expecting that volume of air to be kept in the system.
    Pyeman likes this.
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scoTTy View Post
    A stalling turbo doesn't sound at all good.

I'd steer clear of dump values and stikc to diverters. Maybe the pressures etc need a different valve but I wouldn't go down the WHOOOSH route as the car is expecting that volume of air to be kept in the system.
    Agreed.

Dump valve's are for dummies. THEY DO SOD ALL AND SOUND STUPID.

Turbo stall or too much lag is because your killing the turbo and its finding it hard to make the boost level you want. Sounds like a Revo mapped car with MASSIVE boost spikes again.

Reverse Gear

Status
    think an upgraded diverter valve might help and i defo need an intercooler
    Last edited by davyb0y; 7th August 2012 at 21:23.

Status
    Whilst I appreciate there are a lot opinions here (and strangely people performing hard acceleration when the car is not fully warmed up -WTF?), Audi's are not immune to faults, and OEM parts can and usually do contribute to poor running (DV's / spark plugs, air leaks, fuel pump cam lobes etc.).

When similar issues have been experienced by S3 owners who have been mapping these cars since 2006, it has almost always been a fault of the cars hardware rather than a software issue, and even people who have switched maps go on to have further problems.

Suggestions are you get your settings checked (B/T/F), keep a spare set of plugs handy (I change ours every 10-15k), and you check you have the latest release of the code.

Revo shouldn't be subject to trial on here, especially where people are going by assumption rather than qualified testing / facts. I'd strongly suggest if you have issues you get them investigated professionally rather than just sounding off on here as that doesn't move the game forward at all, and is unfair to Revo. Thank you. As you were.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

6th Gear

Status
    to be honest i do not what to suggest at this stage, so many people say many different things could be causing this problem.

6th Gear

Status
    so there is no available software update to my car but there is for the s3 2.0 Tfsi etc.. this can solve problems like the hesitation i am experiencing, so maybe Revo could invent a software update to stop this problem !

6th Gear

Status
    there is no Software update available, then why did Dave Massey at ADS Preston who Revoed my Car when i rung him up about the hesitation he told me that there is a Software Update available for my Car for £65 ??

6th Gear

Status
    and if it were the Spark Plugs which have gone after (12000) MILES, where do i get them from how much are they and which are the Very best to get to stop this problem.
    Thanks

Status
    I'm not sure what plugs are used in the longitudinal engines. I wrote a long piece on spark plugs for S3 owners HERE a while ago after having some lengthy discussions with NGK as plugs were only lasting around 10k, and Audi suggested they should do 60k! (cough, bullShot).

I tried Iridium's but they didn't offer a sustainable option for me, and since then Audi have offered 3 version of revision on the S3 which means they're aware there are some issues (hard to say if it's down to the peculiarities of the FSi system which seems to coke the valves very heavily unless you run a catch can).

I appreciate the frustrations, but the only way I got traction on the issue was to pay someone to look into it. Audi weren't interested and I couldn't expect them to be due to mods, so I ended up using independents.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

Neutral

Status
    Just to add a little more confusion....

I ran a 55 plate 2.0T FSI with a REVO1 from 20k to 68k. Adhered to std variable servicing except changed the plugs at 30K and 60K.

Std DV valve blew at 22k NOTE these are uprated from 2007.
    Coil pack failed at 58k

Bought an SPS at 45k and started playing with the settings. Std settings are 6 2 6. I changed these and then found that fuel does really make a difference. Some super fuel would run on a timing of 5, others I had to run on a 2. Also noted that, when warm, the response from the tubro would feel like it couldn't deliever what was being asked (like a mini stutter) on 7 and 8 settings.

At 65k car developed a misfire / hesitation when under load at full boost. Sold it due to to being un-resolvable by Audi or independants.

Now have a REVO1 TT which runs fine, but doesn't start right. Suspect the map / fuel pump / fuel pressue is at fault.

Conclusion: Even though the symptoms are often the same, the cause can be very different. If your Revo update gets wiped Revo should put it back for free. Perhaps reverting to std map to see if the problem exisits still will help.

A remap puts more pressure on the engine and components, and limits the acceptable tolerance levels. A remap WILL show up failing parts. My TT (16k miles), when mapped ran like a dog. It wouldn't boost or idle correctly. Oil change, new plugs and coils sorted it right out.

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the info

6th Gear

Status
    i am trying to keep V Power in the tank all the time to try and Solve the problem as somebody has told me to try it out because it may solve the problem, but i am currently on the Isle of Wight for my Holiday and it is a very small Island and there is no Shell V Power , No Bp Ultimate no Tesco Momentum 99,there is only regular fuel available, there is Texaco Super if that is any good ? or should i just use normal.

1st Gear

Status
    Get the best you can or maybe see if you can get some booster to help.

Reverse Gear

Status
    i had a falt code in my car but only that vag-com could find the problem them crapy hand held code reader things was no good ,anyway he cleard the code an the hesitation stoped only thing is on hot days it feels like its coming back could be heat soak thinkin about awe intercooler

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_watford:1647708

At 65k car developed a misfire / hesitation when under load at full boost. Sold it due to to being un-resolvable by Audi or independants.
    Having same issue with my 06 b7 third gear under load seems to have developed a strange hesitation like it cant quite make the required boost between 3-4k had it checked by 2 indys and audi and the say its healthy and cant see any issues ? Will just run it until the new year and i will be swapping for a b8 !

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by W8 Performance View Post
    It could be fuel cut, but I doubt it at stage 1. Is it really making 305bhp? That seems a bit high if it was 211bhp as standard?

Maybe get some logs done and see what the requested and actual fuel pressure is?
    dont know if u have had this problem sorted but does your car use crazy amounts of oil i keep puttin oil in an it still says its empty so i took it the garage an they drained the oil out i had about 10lt come out i was lucky my car didnt blow up,anyway put 4lt back in an all the performance is back no hesitation when driven hard just responsive better than ever

6th Gear

Status
    No not had that problem, When i First got it, it was using a lot of Oil as it was a new Car and they say that the 2.0 Tfsi uses more Oil than any over engine in the range but i haven't had that problem.

2nd Gear

Status
    Likewise. Uses a bit of oil but nothing like that. 10l??? U sure? It would be coming out the top of the fill point!

6th Gear

Status
    Problem solved with the hesitation ! :D

6th Gear

Status
    I used to Run my Car on Tesco 99 and i started having the Hesitation problems,
    I have recently been on Holiday with a Tank full of V Power been down South to the Isle of Wight for a week and then to Devon for a week clocked up 960 Mile in 2 week with using nothing but Shell V Power and the hesitation has vanished !!

2nd Gear

Status
    Thats great news. Now if only we had a Shell station near us!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast