rear leg room

jpda4

Reaction score
after some advice

is there much difference in the rear between the 2 models?

currenlty driving a B7 A4 and thinking of changing, up to b8 a4 2.0tdi technik

i know there is extra length between the b7 & B8, but did the B8 gain much more rear leg room?
the main reason for changing is when the little un (16 month) is in his car seat his feet are kicking the back of the drivers seat, im not that tall but i do have the seat laid back slighlty, it could also be partly due to his isofix base and car seat set up, i opted for a recaro beast of a seat, changing this could be a cheaper option of gaining more space

there is the option of going up to the A6 but the price difference on a 12month old car is about 5k, 5k i dont have!

altrenatively i could move away from the audi brand

any comments or alternatives will be considered

cheers

They are bigger, but there isnt much in it imo, i think they widend the B8 platform more than they lengthened it. I'd get an A6 avant and that should cover you more than adequately

They are bigger, but there isnt much in it imo, i think they widend the B8 platform more than they lengthened it. I'd get an A6 avant and that should cover you more than adequately

My daughter kicks the back of my chair,but the main concern is the pushchair just try it in the boot before you buy a B8,they have filled in the gaps behind rear wheel arches in boot and it is a struggle to get pushchair in width ways it fits but i have to force it in when boot is fully loaded,in my B6 the recesses where left open and the pushchair fit like a glove.

No differance at all in the back.Very cramped, same as a 320.Same room in the back of an A3 as in an A4.An A6 is better.Best bet is to go to a dealer with said babyseat and a few cases and have a fiddle about.They wont mind cos they think you want to buy one

thanks for the replies guys, will bear all suggestions in mind, will defo take the car seat and pushchair.

had a quick look round local teesside audi this afty, stock doesn't match the search results, will keep calling back next time might get to speak with a salesman, all too busy acording to the greeter.....
last time (same dealer) that happened, when i was in the market for a car ended up making an expensive mistake!!! wont happen this time

B7
wheelbase 2648mm length 4586mm
B8
wheelbase 2808mm length 4703mm

A6 C6
wheelbase 2843mm length 4927mm

thanks for the replies guys, will bear all suggestions in mind, will defo take the car seat and pushchair.

had a quick look round local teesside audi this afty, stock doesn't match the search results, will keep calling back next time might get to speak with a salesman, all too busy acording to the greeter.....
last time (same dealer) that happened, when i was in the market for a car ended up making an expensive mistake!!! wont happen this time

Im pretty sure that there was a forum member that had a massive problem with teeside, so much so he flogged his audi and bought a beemer.Just cant remember who it was dammit.

Im pretty sure that there was a forum member that had a massive problem with teeside, so much so he flogged his audi and bought a beemer.Just cant remember who it was dammit.

I would NEVER buy another car from them aftersales is shocking.

jpda3 where abouts do you live?I'm in Marton if you want to meet you can try items in my car and ill show you what i mean about the boot,I'm thinking of selling mine if your interested(not that ive sold you on it with the room issues!!!)

"to busy according to greeter" says it all really cant even be ***** to come and talk to a prospective customer their attitude is shocking.

ste nova - thanks for the dimensions, have seen a diagram that shows the sizes, not seen the internal dimensions anywhere...

as for the avant other half thinks the A6 looks the size of a tank, so doubt she would go for the avant

redspudder - im in stockton but over boro way all the time, thanks for the offer might take you up on that.

kind off agree with teesside comment, thought they where ok before moving to the new site, bought my A3 from there in 2002, was ignored (similar to this time) when i looked to change in 2007, so much so on advice from work bought a SAAB 93 but only kept that for 4 month loosing lots of money before returning to audi and my current a4, sales man that time gave the impression i was wasting his time, in fact i think i said that when i collected the car, still no returned call from yesterday, they can't want their commision from a potential 20-25k purchase.....

might call into york later, off out for the day as the sun is shinning for a change

Should the dealer make a differance as to whether you buy from them or not?
Technically no, as if theres a problem any audi dealer will do as you are not tied to where you bought it from.As long as you got the car you want at the right price?
Its not a pleasant experiance dealing with twatts, and theres plenty about.In 2006 I bought my first new car, and it was a choice between an audi, a bmw and a vw from Coventry dealerships.The BMW dealership was aloof and up thier own *****, the VW was cavalier/del boy, and the audi intense but interested.I was mulling for a couple of days as to what i fancied, and on a saturday morning some three days later the audi rep phoned to ask how i was and if id made a decision.Saturday afternoon I bought the car.Never recieved a call from the other two.Since then Ive had a great relationship at the Coventry dealership, still a couple of monkeys in the garage but on the whole bang on.Bought my second from there too.
So for me finding the right dealership worked out, and I doubt that I would have had the same from the other two although Ill never know.Its not a nice feeling having to be on guard ready for a fight to spend YOUR money ath thier dealership that earns THEM a commission.That just grates.

Should the dealer make a differance as to whether you buy from them or not?
Technically no, as if theres a problem any audi dealer will do as you are not tied to where you bought it from.As long as you got the car you want at the right price?
Its not a pleasant experiance dealing with twatts, and theres plenty about.In 2006 I bought my first new car, and it was a choice between an audi, a bmw and a vw from Coventry dealerships.The BMW dealership was aloof and up thier own *****, the VW was cavalier/del boy, and the audi intense but interested.I was mulling for a couple of days as to what i fancied, and on a saturday morning some three days later the audi rep phoned to ask how i was and if id made a decision.Saturday afternoon I bought the car.Never recieved a call from the other two.Since then Ive had a great relationship at the Coventry dealership, still a couple of monkeys in the garage but on the whole bang on.Bought my second from there too.
So for me finding the right dealership worked out, and I doubt that I would have had the same from the other two although Ill never know.Its not a nice feeling having to be on guard ready for a fight to spend YOUR money ath thier dealership that earns THEM a commission.That just grates.

Agee Johnny but when you want your car servicing through Audi ( i got 2 years free servicing)why should i have to drive 40miles away to another dealer at cost to me for diesel when the dealership on my doorstep should be trust worthy,TBH the salesman was great with me at Teeside Audi and has stayed in contact a bit to see if i want a change or am still happy with the car,its the aftersales/service dept that i found the problem and i let the salesman know this when he called last time.

Fair comment, in the real world you would hope so, but it really is amazing the differance between dealers from the same brand.i guess I was lucky to get a good front end and service dept.Although the used dept is pretty crap so id go elsewhere for that.My problem is that I sometimes cut my nose off to spite my face...i wouldnt have a problem driving that far to a dealership.But, horses for courses!Unfortunately Audi dealers seem to think that the cars sell themselves.
Might be worth pm' the poster with the salesmans details if hes going to use teeside.

I only live in Redcar and have an a6 lemans avant that you are welcome to prod and poke and measure if you want.

cheers for that offer gavin, seen a few a6 le mans advertised locally for sale.....

still to decide what to do, part of me now thinking its not worth changing just yet.......

also still waiting on the call back..... lucky its not an urgent enquiry, if it was i would have followed it up

I had an A6 s-line saloon, before I got my A4. I had a C6, with the 3.0TFSI engine, pretty awesome car. The is so much more space in the A6. One thing I would say, is while the A6 S-line drives fine, just doesn't feel as good as a B8 A4, in terms of handling dynamics etc. I imagine you would need an S6 or RS6 for that. I did love my A6, very accomplished car and that engine was spot on!!

quick update,
busy week, last weekend went along to dealership armed with car seat and tape measure, recon theres about 50mm more space between littleuns feet and the position of my seat, sunday afternoon test drove a 2.0 134 tecknik, decent drive, a few toys and £30 a year road tax. Now for the potential deal breaker, Thursday took along the baby, baby seat and pushchair, as previously advised the pushchair wouldnt fit length ways due to the box in rear arches. The saleman I eventually got to talk to and was dealing with was also surprised at the smaller space available as he saw a potential sale slip away.
considering what to do next, missus was still of the opinion the A6 is a tank......

sam dude, we took the worse case pushchair, the 2 piece one, we have a 'smaller' one not sure of the folded length, handles might fit into RHS recess......

what is in the LHS boxed off area? sales man opened it but didnt really see what was hidden away in there, thought would end up snapping it if dropped it to handels inside
Could a boot trim from a B7 be retrofit, with some adjustmement, into that side and give some extra space

ste nova, lol, i had a similar thought only it was a 2 seater convertable and keep the B7

I was being a bit flippant, but I've been in the same situation.

We were looking to get an A Class a couple of years ago (for Mrs Sam), but the buggy for our new (at the time) baby was a three-wheeler monster.

It didn't fit in the A Class boot, so we bought a B Class instead. We didn't think to try/buy a regular size buggy until after we bought it.
:uhm:

oh yeh... you can also get a pushchair in a passat saloon the long way lol then width isn;t an issue and it just wheels in

sam dude, we took the worse case pushchair, the 2 piece one, we have a 'smaller' one not sure of the folded length, handles might fit into RHS recess......

what is in the LHS boxed off area? sales man opened it but didnt really see what was hidden away in there, thought would end up snapping it if dropped it to handels inside
Could a boot trim from a B7 be retrofit, with some adjustmement, into that side and give some extra space

ste nova, lol, i had a similar thought only it was a 2 seater convertable and keep the B7

the left side boxed off area houses the audio amp, and the other side fuses and relays.

might have a look at a passat at the weekend.......
maybe a C class merc or a 3 series....

better option could be a smaller pushchair, then be able to stay with audi....

modifying the boxed off area a no go then im guessing.