Dilema...

Daggerit

Reaction score
Right guys, I need some advice because I just can't make my mind up...

I currently have the saloon on order as per my sig but I'm starting to wonder if I should just go for the avant instead? The reason I wonder is that I like my snowboarding and worry I wouldn't be able to fit boards in the saloon with anything more than a front seat passenger, does anyone know if you would be able to fit them into an avant any better with rear passengers?

I like the look of the saloon more, but not by enough to completely discount the avant... HELP!! lol. :sos:

Avant looks better, and of course is more practicle, the size of the opening to the luggage area just eases things, how long is a snow board, the avant isnt any longer than the saloon, it just makes better use of the space.

Yeah, that's why I was curious... You could have the boards in the back and resting on the top of the back seats in the avant but would have to put the seats down in the saloon. Either way you would lose at least one seat but depending on how the saloon seats fold you may lose even more?

Oh and to answer your other question... The snowboards are about 1.7m at the longest I'd say.

I doubt you would gain from a avant tbh, snowboards arent particularly thick are they, so it should fit in a saloon with one seat down, maybe even through the ski hatch if you have specced one?

i went from passat saloon to a6 avant, the avant is just so much more flexable for loading anything, also the extra space inside the car makes it feel bigger! i won't be going back to a saloon

Ok, thanks for your input wassup, really useful! :)

I'll just stick with the saloon and add the through load facility then. What's £165 when you're paying as much as I am for the car already? lol.

Dilema over.

After speaking to the Audi salesman, he actually got a tape measure out for me and found that the distance in a straight line from the back of the boot to the back of the front seats was 1.78m. He also advised that by putting one seat down I would get in excess of 1.9m of room if the board was put in at an angle so no need for either the Avant or the through load really.

Props to Aberdeen Audi on this occasion. :)

Just make sure you have specced the split fold rear seats. These aren't standard, so need to be ordered.

Personally I would have went for the avant though. When I was selling my S4, over half the comments were "shame its not the avant, I'd have had it then". Or "shame it aint black leather" was the other one I got most.

And, when I'm looking on autotrader, for example, for A4's and similar cars, I ALWAYS single out estates, as they just look better, and sell easier. Anyone who has ever had an estate generally wont go back to a saloon.

Reactions: Ste_Nova
Thanks guys. :)

Johnny, I actually have looked at those but one of the main reasons I was looking was for a 2000 mile round trip convoy for snowboarding and for fuel and peace of mind I wanted them in the car...

xs2, I've been told by the salesman that my car will come with the folding seats as standard and so don't need to bother speccing the through load or anything else. I have it as an email and if it turns out to be untrue I'll be sorting something out at Audis expense. ;) I've had an estate before and it just didn't do it for me to be honest, mainly from the inside. If I had a wife and kids or anything like that then I'd go for it but since I don't the saloon works fine (as long as it has the folding rear seats... :huh:)

Fair comment!Just out of interest, have you taken your board to the dealer to try it yourself? When i was looking for my car I took a few suitcases to the dealers and ****** around with them.In the end, both the bmw 320 tourer and my avant had crap space so space wasnt an issue choosing! Can only get two suitcases in the avant, any more and i have to split the seat which means theres only three seats available.Factors that affect the litreage are a sloping back seat, a high floor and a sloping rear screen.Plus the folded seat doesnt lie flat.in all, i got the avant for its looks certainly not for space!!

I might just do that at some point actually. Might look a bit strange but who cares huh? Lol.