Cleaning my tailpipes

Mcdubber1

Reaction score
The tailpipes on my A4 are black! I tried cleaning them last week with wonder wheels but it really didn't have much of an impact on the black grime stuck to them. I left it on for quite a bit and used a brush. It's also on my rear valance aswell and just looks scruffy tbh.

Can anyone recommend a product that will shift this with relative ease? I was gonna try the old wire wool but i think i need something to dissolve the majority of it first cos it really is pretty thick.

Cheers

I've got meguires metal polish which is similar but I'd rather remove some of the baked on crap first. I'm gonna wash the car today so I'll try some wire wool with wheel cleaner and if that works then I'll polish them up with the meguires. If not then I'll post up in the detailing section which I probably should have done in the first place.

Be careful with the wire wool as its very course and could do more damage than good.

I would spend more time with the autosol and a piece of scotch bite.

Yeah I know I've used it in the past before. I just need to break through the worst of it to begin with. I've just thought, I've got some gunk engine cleaner there so I'll give that a go.

I didn't think about "Gunk". Good stuff to start with.:thumbsup:

WD40 is brilliant at removing crap, try that with a medium brush to work it in to soften the black poo!

Gunk did the trick applied with paint brush and some light rubbing with wire wool to get the bad bits off then a wee polish up with the meguires.

The only problem is that the pipes are chipped all over and look pretty scruffy when up a bit closer. I wouldn't have thought they would chip??? Are they not made from stainless??

I'm sure they are not stainless. I think they are plated, well mine look plated.

I noticed on the Audi website in the accessories section that you can get stainless pipes and chrome pipes so im guessing they are just chrome plated? Strangely enough the chrome pipes are more expensive:uhm:

I use Autosol and fine wire wool on mine. Brings them up a treat!