DVD Sat Nav, AMI & Cables Questions

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All!

Well finally I have found and put a deposit down on an S-Line.

It has the DVD Sat Nav and AMI, but what exactly does the AMI do? Will it have the SD Card slots?

Do I need a certain colour cable to use my ipod with it? (So I can make sure its in the car!)

Is there a way to connect a DVD player to the Sat Nav or TV Tuner or even better play movies via USB (ie. connecting harddrive)?

AMI is audi integration for ipod control, you can control it from the steering wheel or the media button on the control panel - you will have sd slots in behind a panel on the dash names audi multimedia see pic below - note above the climate control panel the audi multimedia is where the sd cards will go - ami in the glovebox

IMG010.jpg

i have a blue collar cable and it works with every ipod/iphone i have - ipod nano 1st n 6th gen, iphone 3gs and 4s

the new red collar is only for the new a6/7/8

you wont see the ami lead, it sits in the glovebox all the time and charges the device fitted - you wont be able to watch movies from the ipod, only music

no idea on the dvd input you will need an audi tv tuner which is at least £700 plus aerials,boosters

AMI is audi integration for ipod control, you can control it from the steering wheel or the media button on the control panel - you will have sd slots in behind a panel on the dash names audi multimedia see pic below - note above the climate control panel the audi multimedia is where the sd cards will go - ami in the glovebox

i have a blue collar cable and it works with every ipod/iphone i have - ipod nano 1st n 6th gen, iphone 3gs and 4s

the new red collar is only for the new a6/7/8

you wont see the ami lead, it sits in the glovebox all the time and charges the device fitted - you wont be able to watch movies from the ipod, only music

no idea on the dvd input you will need an audi tv tuner which is at least £700 plus aerials,boosters
Great Post! Thanks!
My car is April 2009 registered and will have the 2G Sat Nav I think, but it should have the 2 SD Slots?

Not if it has MMI 2G you won't get the slots, you should get a multichanger though but not 100% sure on that.

That post was rushed but if you need any more info don't hesitate to ask.

That isn't my A4 by the way, Audi Hire but I have loads of pictures of the MMI if you want some preview pics.

Not necessarily .. MMI 3G can have DVD Nav or Hard Drive

I love the B8 .. You'll enjoy it whatever system it has ;)

It will be 2G due to the date and no SD slots. Multi CD was an option I think. Voice control of phone but nothing else unless the full voice control was added as an option. From your other thread (you do like lots of overlapping threads don't ya!!) I'd say reversing sensors and the light pack are the two obvious omissions but those aside it seems a decent spec.

AMI - allows you to connect iPods, USB devices (HDD or sticks etc) or audio in. However you only get two leads out of the three with the car. I opted for USB and iPod. You will lose a chunk of your glovebox due to the AMI. This was sorted out with 3G.

It will be 2G due to the date and no SD slots. Multi CD was an option I think. Voice control of phone but nothing else unless the full voice control was added as an option. From your other thread (you do like lots of overlapping threads don't ya!!) I'd say reversing sensors and the light pack are the two obvious omissions but those aside it seems a decent spec.

AMI - allows you to connect iPods, USB devices (HDD or sticks etc) or audio in. However you only get two leads out of the three with the car. I opted for USB and iPod. You will lose a chunk of your glovebox due to the AMI. This was sorted out with 3G.
Yeah sorry about the overlapping threads! You seem to know your stuff though!
Are these cables a certain colour? So I can look our ofr them. I hope its USB and Ipod. Does the USB one allow you to play things from a harddrive?
How much are these cables if they are missing?

Does it mean if I dont have the Light Pack I wont have Vanity Mirrors???? Oh God the Missus will kill me if they are missing!!!!

Are these cables a certain colour?
You need to get the correct model for the year otherwise I don't think they charge the iPod ... or something like that. Not sure about colours.

Does the USB one allow you to play things from a harddrive?
Yep but there are certain restrictions on the HDD i.e. power draw etc.

How much are these cables if they are missing?
They're all listed here : Audi Accessories < Owners area < Audi UK

Does it mean if I dont have the Light Pack I wont have Vanity Mirrors???? Oh God the Missus will kill me if they are missing!!!!

Better hide :
Includes rear reading lights, entrance lights, front footwell lights, active door reflectors, vanity mirrors and illumination of the glove compartment, vents and internal door controls

I don't think I've EVER seen a car WITHOUT vanity mirrors!!!! I hope its got them.
So, in theory, I could play movies on the Sat Nav via the USB?
What colour of cables would I need for an April 2009 model?

I think it might just mean vanity mirror illumination. I've tried movies from a USB stick but without luck. I don't think it supports the video formats. i.e. DivX etc.

Cables - since you'll need to get them from Audi ask your dealer. Is the car from Audi or private?

Its from a dealer but not Audi. I pick up the car next week then next Friday I have a mammonth drive home from Portsmouth to Inverness so I could do with them for the drive so I can listen to my iPod. Thing is, if the car doesn't have them, I dont know how long the local audi Dealership would be able to get them in.
Is there certain ones for certain years?

The collar colour doesn't matter, Audi should have them in stock as they're a common item.

Just make sure you get the AMI -> IPod lead.

I have a new 2012 S4 with the AMI ( tech pack high), it has an all black lead and shows everything form my iPod on the screen except for the album artwork, not too bothered about it if this is normal so unless anyone else with an A4 with this system can tell me otherwise I'll put up with it.

I have a new 2012 S4 with the AMI ( tech pack high), it has an all black lead and shows everything form my iPod on the screen except for the album artwork, not too bothered about it if this is normal so unless anyone else with an A4 with this system can tell me otherwise I'll put up with it.

You need the red collar if you have the new 3G+

If you're buying the car from them why not just check if they have the cables in the car and if not tell them to bundle it into the deal as otherwie AMI is not complete ;)

You could just do what I did when I picked my car up - hand them the ipod so they get it to work. The ipod I have is from 2005 and wont work when connected with a cable designed for later versions of the ipod such as the ipod touch. I now have both versions of the cable.

You could just do what I did when I picked my car up - hand them the ipod so they get it to work. The ipod I have is from 2005 and wont work when connected with a cable designed for later versions of the ipod such as the ipod touch. I now have both versions of the cable.
Good call! I will do that! Thanks!

All cables work on both 2g and 3g - I used a 3G blue collar cable on my 2g system

It's just the brand new red cable you need for the MY2012 cars

I have the 'blue' cable with my Ami.
The 'Red' is for the new facelift model and supports
Video playback from iPods and album art work on MMi screen.
Dealer let me try a Red cable with my system but didnt work.
Thought it was worth a shot to see if the video playback worked!

Album art won't show - just plain old music and track titles

I think there is a way you can get video into the system but I'll go off and have a look.

Dealer confirmed no cables in the car! He said he had connected up a normal cable and it had worked. Could this be true?
Or do I really need an Audi cable? Wheres the cheapest place to buy one from?

Dealer confirmed no cables in the car! He said he had connected up a normal cable and it had worked. Could this be true?
Or do I really need an Audi cable? Wheres the cheapest place to buy one from?

I bet he has them but will try and sell you them ;)

He would've connected (and only can) connect up an Audi AMI cable as the connector is unique to Audi AMI so thats why I think he has them.

I have the 2g but there is nothing in the glove box or boot. The only connection I can see is a 3.5mm jack in the armrest.
All the cables I have seen have a different fitting, how will be able to connect my ipod and control through the Audi controls?

Cheers

You don't have AMI. You can use the aux input to route sounds through the system but you won't be able to control it.

If you want to retro fit AMI then I believe it's possible ... but expensive. Alternatively you need to look at something like a Denison Gateway module.