Audi A4 2.0 TDi 177 version

TripleD

Audi S4 Avant Owner
Reaction score
So what's people's opinions of these newer engines!

I'm battling with Audi about my 2.0 TDi 170, saying fuel efficiency is rubbish. There's a few options open to me, but they all don't look good.
Currently there's a deals on the new A6 so I could move from my Dynamik into a FWD 2.0 TDi 177 A6 S-line.

Is it worth trying to get the 177 version and hope the engine is better?

I have no answer to your question, however interested to hear what Audi had to say about the mpg's **** poor performance and their lies to claim the oppostie.

Ha ha ha. TripleD, my problems are with the 177, and we have been rolling along similar lines in that other thread.

My car is going in on Wednesday now. Was meant to be today, but I got fogged on then bumped off the flight offshore, so had to cancel.

I will let you know what they say to me, but did they find anything with you?

Personally, I would be looking more towards the 3.0 TDI if your sticking with Audi, but determined to swap. It surely cant be much worse than what we are seeing, but with shed loads more power.

well good luck! My diagnostics turned up nothing! They got 50.4 MPG on the 15 mile test ride, I asked and pestered people until I got the exact route, and drove it! guess what ... took me 3 attempts, but basically they didn't let the turbo spin up, constantly changing gears before 2000rpm, then coasted down a BIG hill which took the DIS reading from 45MPG up to 50.4 which is what got registered.

Trouble is according to Audi it's within the tolerances, and according to what I was told today the tolerance is 33% of the quoted figure, which means even if mine is truely 35MPG, then it's 'within tolerance'.

Still in discussions with the dealership and Audi UK, basically Audi UK are saying they can't do alot, it's all got to go through the dealer, I've been offered a 'Car Exchange' but that's not as good as you may think! They tried to offer me a brand new A4 SE! And they are trying to rape me for going over 5000 miles! (done 7500 so that according to them is worth £2400) But I've got Email proof i've complained about this and was told to continue the mileage as i should get better!

Had a BIG chat with a guy from Audi UK, and put my point and facts across, doubt a 3.0 TDi will come about unless your willing to stump up the extra ££'s, you may be able to get a 2.0 TFSi.

Let me know how you get on!

I'm not too worried about putting in extra cash for the 3.0 TDI to be honest. It would be worth it of the fuel figures were comparable. Im not really sure whats causing the poor figures though? Is it that 170-177 BHP is just asking too much of a 2.0 TDI, and causing these poor figures? I mean, the 3.0 is a whole litre more, for the extra 50 BHP, so I'm hoping it will not be pushed so hard. Well, we will see I guess.

Then again, I easily achieved 47 mpg out of the equivalent engined BMW 520d, with MY driving style (i.e. no pussy footing around). I'm sure I would have been closer to 60 mpg if I'd taken it easy, as Audi will no doubt do during any such test.

The other thing that annoys me was that I had a shot of an A6 170 quattro for a couple days, and it was doing over 40 mpg with my driving. Would actually be happy if my consumption just started with a 4 when I drive it.

Anyway, I guess we will see what the script is after they look at it. How long was yours in for?

They had it for 2 days as I went away on business, but should only take a couple of hours!

The new A6 looks really nice inside and with the £4250 contribution and £2000 over payment on a px it might work out cheaper than a 3.0 A4!

My old 320d was high 40's with 184 bhp, so decent mpg is achievable with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel, guess Audi are just struggling making the engine work!

Yeah. Had a shot of the new A6 and it was a nice place to sit right enough.

i have this engine in a 2009 model.fuel consumption is an average of 32 to 35 regardless of how i drive.the dis is a lying *******...tells me im doing 48 yet when i fill to the brim its actually doing the 32 to 35.theres no point in audi relying on the dis, and need to do a proper run filling the tank brim to brim.its not rocket science.my dis can also stick at areading for miles even when idling.get them to do the test again, and they can have my car to compare as well !!

My father had his Jetta checked out because he was convinced the DIS was inacurate. VW ran tests and said it was fine. The problem is, the cars are tested on a rolling road, so it will never be as accurate as real life driving.

get them to do the test again, and they can have my car to compare as well !!

Well that was on offer from Audi UK, but trouble is, as they said the tolerance is 33%, now they quote 53MPG on combined so even if they make it 35MPG like I do on average then it's still within the tolerance (just).

So far I've been nice asking what my options are etc, but as they are trying to offer me a base SE with a retro fitted satnav, being nice isn't cutting it! I've thought of some options, and they can basically pick one!

In all fairness to my Audi sales guy, he has kept me up to speed and advised me based upon what Audi UK can do, and offered some good alternate deals, but his hands are tied by what Audi UK are prepared to do. Hopefully after my call with them on Friday they've got the picture that I'm not backing down.
Gotta wait til Thursday this week before hearing any more as the Audi Sales guy is off til then.

33% tolerance? thats a load of bollocx.how the fu8k can you have such a wide margin? I wonder how the 'fit for purpose' arguement would work consumer wise.I would be tempted to tell them to refund and get a beemer, unless you are prepared to put up with the crapp mpg like i have to.They must be in breach of some advertising rules with a)ridiculous claims on mpg and b) ridiculous margin thats not advertised.Thats downright misleading.

33% is a massive tolerance, IMO it's way too high but I guess that's to cover themselves for times like this!

Well their options are:
  1. Change for a TFSi Dynamik preferably in quartz grey.
  2. Change for a 3.0 TDi Black edition with the same spec as mine.
  3. Buy the car back and I'll walk away.
If option 3 I might just get something cheaper fo a bit of fun, Golf GTi, or Focus ST or something like that with a big enough boot to cart the dog about.

Well. Seems like its getting marginally better. Just got a 38.6 mpg fuel up. And averaged over 43 mpg today. Just before it goes into Audi tomorrow too. Grrrrrr.

Well, I was stuck behind lots of tractors / trucks, so that may well be a contributing factor.

Send it back to Audi then look at contract hiring a merc 250cdi Sport plus estate, 50plus mpg and £370 a month over 2 years plus deposit.

I was fancying an a4 estate to replace our cls as we need something with a hatch, but after reading this I don't think I'll bother.

Looked at this Merc. Its a nice car. Doubt you'd actually get the 50+ mpg though. My mate doesn't quite get that from his C200 CDI, but then again, he does drive like a hooligan.

Ha ha. Well, I was just about to post up. You wouldn't believe it. You honestly couldn't make this up.

So I took the car in, reading 2900 miles with an average of 37.1 on the clock. And a short trip average of 34.9 for the 20 miles to the dealers.

They reset all my clocks (which will mess up my fuelly tally now, but I can guestimate). Took her for a 15 mile motorway test drive at 70 mph and returned 41.5 mpg. Thats better than I have ever had, so guessing they were off turbo and cruise not set.

Anyway, I guess after your encounter they have put something out about this. And their fix is....

Fiddle the fuel computer as they think its reading too low. I told them that it was actually reading quite accurate as it sits at roughly what I'm getting at fuelly, but they said to run it for 1000 miles and see what I get.

Well, I will be going back with the csv exported from fuelly to show ACTUAL mpg rather than what they have fixed the computer to say before I ask them to reset it back to normal, as I'd rather have it telling me the truth in all fairness.

Anyway, turns out they possibly set it the wrong way too actually, as on the steady run home, I averaged 31.2 according to the computer.

Honestly, you couldn't make this stuff up.

Well least they didn't find a hill to coast down! Still 41.5 isn't spectacular!

Just keep and eye on it, and quick tip, don't let the car pass 5000 miles before you do something! Coz they'll try and rape you for every mile over the 5000 you do!
I was advised to keep driving as it will get better, now I'm close to 8000 and in their eyes apparently that's worth £3000!

Heard nothing today at all, but the Audi Sales guy is back tomorrow, so I guess it'll start again!

ive just done a run from manchester to coventry ona slow M6 average speed of 60 as the weather was crap.After 15 miles dis stuck on 54mpg, and then i hit a standstill for 20 minutes the dis still showing 54.Traffic eased and off on my way again at 60-70, reset compter 1 now showing 65mpg for 20 miles, after which reverted back to 54 whilst the second computer showing 33.The dis is only useful for anything bar mpg.It lies and cannot be used for any data.

Reactions: TripleD
Well no real more to add after this week.

Audi UK don't admit there's a problem, and are unwilling to help.
My Audi dealer are trying to help in all fairness, they valued the car at £25k but may give some extra, but basically if I want to walk away I've got a £3000 bill to pay!

Can't believe a new car buying experience can be this bad, and how much I regret buying a 2.0 TDi Audi engine!

If anyone wants a 2012 61 plate Audi A4 Dynamik 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro Avant in Quartz Grey with Grey alloys (Very rare combo) at a cheaper price than you can pay in the dealers, then contact me!

In the mean time I'm going to have a think over the weekend what my next steps are!

ive just done a valuation of your car with we buy any car (with sat nav ) and they come up with £24175

ive just done a valuation of your car with we buy any car (with sat nav ) and they come up with £24175

Yup, I done that too!

But any car garage that I visited would give me £25000 for my car, so just an extra £1000 for driving 240 miles and paying for 480 miles of fuel to deliver the car back to the garage, and taking out basically a whole saturday to do that, is it worth it?

I think I'm pretty shafted either way, Audi UK and not any help what so ever, and given all the evidence are not willing to help, my local Audi center haven't got anything to offer, and the dealership I got the car from from the looks of it are pretty much just wanting to screw me over too!

After this whole disappointing experience there's no way on earth I would EVER buy another Audi brand new! There customer service is rubbish, they do false test's in order to try and prove you wrong, then put a stupid 'Tolerance' level in place knowing that what they produce is a pile of ****!

My dilema is whether to stick it out and just live with it for the next 2 years, or to pay £3000 to £4000 to get out of the car which makes me feel I'm just cutting off my nose to spite my face!

If anyone is researching or looking into buying an Audi 2.0 TDi and finds this thread, then I'd urge you to reconsider, the claims Audi make are rubbish and the engine is really no good what so ever!

If anyone is researching or looking into buying an Audi 2.0 TDi and finds this thread, then I'd urge you to reconsider, the claims Audi make are rubbish and the engine is really no good what so ever!
It certainly helped me make up my mind when deciding on petrol or diesel!
I finally opted instead to buy the 2.0 TFSI!

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleD
Yeah, got to agree with TripleD on his findings. I too will NEVER buy a new Audi, well at least not a diesel one.

Can't believe the "fix" they did for mine, adjusting the fuel computer, but even worse doing it the wrong the way so it actually reads less.

I was gonna be looking for another Audi to replace my S4 now its gone, as my "fun" car. But I have now stopped looking at Audi's.

Think I will stick this car out though for just now. I am not willing to take the loss so soon after the initial purchase. Not for the sake of 10-15 mpg. I would just break even after the payment term on a new car, assuming I got the "same" deal, so not really worth it at the moment. But I think after a year, maybe two, I'll look at the numbers again, as I should have actual equity in the car at that point, and see where I lie.

In the meantime, I will keep on Audi to see what they say.

Have you considered contacting trading standards or writing to the motoring press?Had you known that there was a '33%' margin of error with the mpg would you have bought the car?.I would also pay to have it independantly tested by the rac or whoever, and present my case, and then just harp on about it.When i bought my first new audi which was a b7 2.0tdi 143 i also moaned about the 35-37mpy i was getting and was fobbed off with ' it will get better'.Of course it never did.With my b8 170 i knew it wouldnt be great, so i had it remapped with no diff in consumption.But, before buying the b7 if i had known about the margin i wouldnt have bought it.

Have you considered contacting trading standards or writing to the motoring press?Had you known that there was a '33%' margin of error with the mpg would you have bought the car?.I would also pay to have it independantly tested by the rac or whoever, and present my case, and then just harp on about it.When i bought my first new audi which was a b7 2.0tdi 143 i also moaned about the 35-37mpy i was getting and was fobbed off with ' it will get better'.Of course it never did.With my b8 170 i knew it wouldnt be great, so i had it remapped with no diff in consumption.But, before buying the b7 if i had known about the margin i wouldnt have bought it.

I could, but I'm not sure whether it's just too much hassle! I will be writing to Audi UK about their testing procedures and results. As xs2man said I'm probably just going to review the figures in a years time, but in the mean time might just get a DTUK box for the time being.
I did look at a Mini Countryman at the weekend for the missus, that way she can cart the dog around in that, and I took a shining to the Mini JCW ..... could be a good deal to have buying 2 Mini's! lol! :whistle2:

Might go for one of these DTUK boxes myself. Gonna call them up and see if the same one will work with the Audi and a 6 cylinder diesel BMW.

Triple D

Been reading your post for some time but this is the first chance I’ve had to add my 2 pence worth.
I feel your pain as unfortunately I’ve had a few skirmishes with Audi CS and the one thing I’ve learn is go straight to the top!
I had a B7 2.0tdi (170) Quattro back in 2007 – mpg was a joke, never got above 36 mpg…anyways long storey short
12 months later (yes 12 months!) Audi exchanged the vehicle for a new B8 2.0 TDI (143).

This only happen after me emailing the Head of Audi UK, getting MIRA involved (or so Audi thought…) and threatening to take legal action. I would suggest you write / email Audi stating that 33% is beyond reasonable tolerance, and telling them they are in breach of contract under the sales of goods as the car is not 'as described' in the official sales brochure!
You might want to consider telling them that you are formally rejecting the car on these grounds!
This should hopefully provoke some positive action or at least escalate your case within Audi CS.

Happy to share more detail regarding my case if it helps?

Triple D

Been reading your post for some time but this is the first chance I’ve had to add my 2 pence worth.
I feel your pain as unfortunately I’ve had a few skirmishes with Audi CS and the one thing I’ve learn is go straight to the top!
I had a B7 2.0tdi (170) Quattro back in 2007 – mpg was a joke, never got above 36 mpg…anyways long storey short
12 months later (yes 12 months!) Audi exchanged the vehicle for a new B8 2.0 TDI (143).

This only happen after me emailing the Head of Audi UK, getting MIRA involved (or so Audi thought…) and threatening to take legal action. I would suggest you write / email Audi stating that 33% is beyond reasonable tolerance, and telling them they are in breach of contract under the sales of goods as the car is not 'as described' in the official sales brochure!
You might want to consider telling them that you are formally rejecting the car on these grounds!
This should hopefully provoke some positive action or at least escalate your case within Audi CS.

Happy to share more detail regarding my case if it helps?

Sent you a PM, but yes please, I'd be willing to give it a go.
How come they offered only a 2.0 TDi 143 when you had a 170? Given XS2man's comments the 177 version isn't much better than mine!

I think that for starters a questioning letter to the likes of what car about the fuel margins and ways of complaint...all the press like to bash audi so my money is on it bieng published

I have a 15 plate A4 177 Avant which is just awful on fuel. Circa 440 miles on a tank which I believe is about 35mpg. I had a 320d before which did 600 miles all day long which is about 50mpg. It is booked into Southampton Audi on the 22nd to see what we are going to do.

The 33% tollerance I see earlier on here wont wash. If they try that I will ask them why they dont state it will get to 60 in 6 seconds if they think this 30+% tollerance is OK.

If anyone has any tips for me please let me know

Cheers

Phil