Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 26 of 26
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daggerit

Thread: How unhappy are you?

  1. #1
    S.line's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    250

    How unhappy are you?

    How happy or unhappy are you with your b8 Audi? I got mine late last year, an sline avant tdi. Im well impressed with the looks but under the skin it's not as good as my b6, well 2 things aren't anyway. The engines mpg is pap, while using an additive I can manage 45.5mpg urban compared to 49mpg in my b6. And the rattles in my car would amuse a baby but not me....

    Could I get the rattles sorted under warranty?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    444
    Are the rattles from the door area? I love my B8.


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  4. #3
    Daggerit's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    898
    Don't start threads like this when I've just placed my order!! Lol.
    d9jdm likes this.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  5. #4
    gavsman's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by S.line View Post
    How happy or unhappy are you with your b8 Audi? I got mine late last year, an sline avant tdi. Im well impressed with the looks but under the skin it's not as good as my b6, well 2 things aren't anyway. The engines mpg is pap, while using an additive I can manage 45.5mpg urban compared to 49mpg in my b6. And the rattles in my car would amuse a baby but not me....

    Could I get the rattles sorted under warranty?
    That's poor - my 11 year old B6 with 134k doesn't rattle, I would definitely complain to Audi about that.

  6. #5
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    444
    My B8 Dynamik had what i thought were rattles from the drivers and front passenger door. Turned out to dry door seals. Easy fix and the the world is a quieter place. Other than that superb car.


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  7. #6
    S.line's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    250
    Yeah it is a nice car I do agree but doesn't feel as bomb proof as my b6. I had a bad experience when I bought it so perhaps that's playing on my mind. The rattle comes from the instrument cluster where the speedo is. If I push it it stops. Can't see any screws do....

  8. #7
    Audi Novice

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    381
    Love the car looks wise, engine is a pile of poo!
    Audi Northampton, Audi Ipswich, and Audi UK are rubbish and lack the basic skills of customer service.
    Please read my posts about my experience, and I hope this helps you to make the decision not to buy an Audi 2.0 TDi 170 engine, they are not fit for purpose and the tolerance levels are a joke.

  9. #8
    S.line's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    250
    Well said mate!!!

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,219
    Not as solidly built as the B7 (flimsy door hinges for one), shyte paintwork,poor handling, a slug, drinks the diesel, drivers arm rest is too short and should be called n elbow rest, daft cupholder positioning,climate control way too subtle ( give me el boggo aircon with a slider instead of setting it by temp), nowhere to put your right foot when using cruise,....apart from that its ok.Certainly not boiught for performance/handling....but theres nothing on the road that looks as good.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnythepie View Post
    Not as solidly built as the B7 (flimsy door hinges for one), shyte paintwork,poor handling, a slug, drinks the diesel, drivers arm rest is too short and should be called n elbow rest, daft cupholder positioning,climate control way too subtle ( give me el boggo aircon with a slider instead of setting it by temp), nowhere to put your right foot when using cruise,....apart from that its ok.Certainly not boiught for performance/handling....but theres nothing on the road that looks as good.
    It says something when B7 is regarded as better built than B8, I've had a B7 1.8T Cab for about 6-7 months and it is most unreliable piece of junk I've had the misfortune to own (and this is a car with full Audi service history), looks pretty as hell, however, if you so much as look at it, it breaks down. How Audi can claim to be prestige car makers is beyond me!

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by riggssuzuki View Post
    My B8 Dynamik had what i thought were rattles from the drivers and front passenger door. Turned out to dry door seals. Easy fix and the the world is a quieter place. Other than that superb car.
    What is the easy fix to these dry door seals as the rattle coming from drivers door makes me think I am drving some heap of merde! I've sprayed some silicon on most of the rubbers around the door and door frame but it is still there! I thought it might have been coming from the verticle black plastic on the front edge of the door which meets the window. It seems to creek when you press it.

    Any help with pics would be greatly appreciated otherwise I'm thinking I should have bought a Proton!

  13. #12
    Audi Novice

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingbear View Post
    I'm thinking I should have bought a Proton!
    Lol
    Audi Northampton, Audi Ipswich, and Audi UK are rubbish and lack the basic skills of customer service.
    Please read my posts about my experience, and I hope this helps you to make the decision not to buy an Audi 2.0 TDi 170 engine, they are not fit for purpose and the tolerance levels are a joke.

  14. #13
    S.line's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    250
    My rattle comes from the dash where the speedo is. It stops when I push on it but my hand has to be thru the steering wheel which is a tad dangerous me thinks!! Can't see any screws so gonna pop into Audi for them to say they can't hear anything.....

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    26
    I get that creak and it seems to be coming from the black plastic which forms the rear top corner of the driver's door. As you mentioned, it creaks when I push it. Silicone was going to be my next move, but if anyone has any better ideas, I'd be grateful.

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,837
    I had a B8 for a month and a half (long story) but I enjoyed driving it - the cabin felt well built and overall quality was good.

    I would reccommend one to anyone especially the 3.0 TDi

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    26
    Ref the creaking door plastic, I later noticed a couple of older posts with a similar problem. So as suggested there I bought some Auto Glym Rubber and Vinyl Care and applied liberally to the problem area.

    Problem solved - for now, at least!

  18. #17
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Ayrshire
    Posts
    30
    Yip AG R&V care worked for me...although I'm still left with a rattle coming from the central air vents...no where near as good a build quality as my 2006 B7.

  19. #18
    Just Plain Old's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,257
    Yep, no doubt about it.... Compared to my B6 S4, the build quality of the B8 is a pile of ****e...! It seems like every bit of quality has been stripped out..??

    I guess the thing that annoys me the most is that anything over 70mp and the wind noise is so bad it sounds like the window is partly open....... Even now I still go to close it, only to be re-pissed off, when it already is..!!
    In my personal opinion

  20. #19
    Crazyfool's Avatar
    Lead boot

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    628
    Very happy apart from the last service bill which as £900! Full service, new front discs and pads and something else which was routine.
    (59) 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) Lava Grey
    (N) 2.6 V6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    Gone: (02) 1.8T A4 sport saloon (B6) Denim Blue

  21. #20
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    48
    I've had my car about a month now and I must say that I think it is a great car. A couple of things I would change include ditching the electric hand brake and changing the footwell so that we have somewhere for our right foot (the A3 with a 2 litre engine has more room so why they cant do the same for a bigger car is beyond me).

    As for the diesel MPG debate, I have a 50% improvement on my last car without any reduction in fun. One thing that does puzzle me and will probably effect the MPG for those in an automatic is how often I am told to change down. I'm in a manual so I have a choice but for those with an auto I would guess you are probably driving in lower gears that you would normally pick. Having said that, my old 2L S3 appears to have better low down torque than my 3L diesel, there are parts of my commute I would have been in 6th gear for and I find I now have to swap to 4th.

  22. #21
    Trev241's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Old View Post
    Yep, no doubt about it.... Compared to my B6 S4, the build quality of the B8 is a pile of ****e...! It seems like every bit of quality has been stripped out..??

    I guess the thing that annoys me the most is that anything over 70mp and the wind noise is so bad it sounds like the window is partly open....... Even now I still go to close it, only to be re-pissed off, when it already is..!!
    Are you serious !
    My motor is stunning on the road, build quality is great and quiet as a mouse at speed (including high motorway speeds in Germany and France).
    Trev

  23. #22
    longp2's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    270
    I'm over the moon with mine and can't say I've noticed any difference in quality to my B7 S4. I prefer everything about the car, the only thing that was better in the B7 was the noise.
    Now on the drive - Lava grey S4 Avant Black edition, ADS, Sports Diff, Magma/black super sports seats etc...

  24. #23
    Just Plain Old's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev241 View Post
    Are you serious !
    My motor is stunning on the road, build quality is great and quiet as a mouse at speed (including high motorway speeds in Germany and France).
    Yep, there is no doubt about it..... The build quality on my old B6 S4 was far superior to the B8 I have now.. From the quality of the carpets and trims,, to plastic silver mirrors instead of aluminium,, no boot guard trim,, the water bottle cap doesn't clip back, the bonnet opener, wind noise,,,, you name it, just about everything is of a lower quality.

    Having said that, with a few modifications, It does perform and handle better..!
    In my personal opinion

  25. #24
    Trev241's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Old View Post
    Yep, there is no doubt about it..... The build quality on my old B6 S4 was far superior to the B8 I have now.. From the quality of the carpets and trims,, to plastic silver mirrors instead of aluminium,, no boot guard trim,, the water bottle cap doesn't clip back, the bonnet opener, wind noise,,,, you name it, just about everything is of a lower quality.

    Having said that, with a few modifications, It does perform and handle better..!
    Check your bonnet badge, could have been driving a BMW all this time.
    Trev

  26. #25
    Just Plain Old's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev241 View Post
    Check your bonnet badge, could have been driving a BMW all this time.
    Ha ha.. Actually............
    In my personal opinion

  27. #26
    Pyeman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    110
    I love my B8, great mpg which is loads better than the 2ltr, its fast. Best car I have had yet.
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. How fussy are you about your bodywork?
    By imported_gek in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 1st June 2005, 14:47
  2. How bored are you?
    By jdp1962 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 28th December 2004, 09:00
  3. how old are you ??
    By ooooaudi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 14th August 2004, 03:07
  4. How old are you?
    By RSAudi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 21st October 2003, 22:29
  5. How old are you guys? S3 and A3 new owners?
    By DaveS3Turbo in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 21st October 2003, 13:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO