2.0 TDI MPG

riggssuzuki

Reaction score
Talking to a friend about his new 2.0 TDI (170 HP). Seems like he's getting worse fuel economy than my remapped 2.0 TFSI. Anyone else experience rubbish economy on their TDI? If so any ideas as to why?

Not sure but this isnt the first ive heard this. Guy at work has one as a compnay car and my 2.0tfsi is a good as his 2.0tdi in average mpg. On the motorway he only gets 45mpg. Mine will just about nudge 45mpg on a run.

I've averaged 38mpg from mine since June last year, was hoping to average in the 40's but the highest I have seen is 42mpg and a lowest of 33.5mpg

Picked up my new A4 2.0 TDI 177 quattro last week. On the first tank, I got 33mpg combined vs the claimed 53.3 mpg combined. I did not use the the start/stop but did do a lot of motorway miles on cruise control. This appears to be very low. I have filled up yesterday and will do another good test with start/stop and normal driving.

Picked up my new A4 2.0 TDI 177 quattro last week. On the first tank, I got 33mpg combined vs the claimed 53.3 mpg combined. I did not use the the start/stop but did do a lot of motorway miles on cruise control. This appears to be very low. I have filled up yesterday and will do another good test with start/stop and normal driving.

However, I managed to do 20 miles with the computer showing 0 miles left and when I filled up, I managed to add only 57 litres,the tank is supposed to be 61 Litres. This would suggest I still had 4 litres left in the car. I think the computers are configured to show a very conservative range to avoid the unpleasant feeling of running out of fuel!

Wife takes our 1.8 TFSI on her 35 mile round trip to work on A Roads every day and gets over 40mpg every day. I suspect on a run we would be up in mid 40's fairly easily. Couldn't justify the extra money for a diesel with those figures.

I get 43ish mpg combined and maybe 5mpg on top that on a long journey, however i can get it into the 50's just driving like an old lady going to church (no offence grannies out there).

I see this as a small price to pay for a car with 180bhp (claimed) and 300 ft-lb (claimed) with the space an A4 offers.

P.S. car is mapped however i'm not convinced it improved my mpg.

Stu

Talking to a friend about his new 2.0 TDI (170 HP). Seems like he's getting worse fuel economy than my remapped 2.0 TFSI. Anyone else experience rubbish economy on their TDI? If so any ideas as to why?
my 2006 b7 143 tdi did 37 to the gallon regardless, and my 2009 b8 170 (mapped to 200) has done 32 from new, now with 27000 on the clock.Doesnt matter how i drive, i get bonged dead on 412.The dis lies massively.Reason is the engine is pretty crap compared to the equivalent beemer.Not only is it slower, but thirstier.My mates 520 does a minimum of 40, and a max of 55 on fill up.We dont buy audi for the engines!!!

3.2 V6 here and approx 26MPG on average. 30-31 on a motorway run. Doesn't seem like the premium for the TDi pays off at all!?

I average around the 40's for the MPG and get about 450 miles to a tank.

My beemer (320d touring) done 55 MPG on average and I got about 580 to a tank .... On a decent run I did manage to get 680 miles before filling!! That was my house to west wales and back again!

I did think the quattro would play a part in the fuel consumption being worse, but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad! My other choice would have been a 525d, so I'm wondering if I got the right car!

You all must have heavy feet. I can easy get 35mpg in mine, and can hit 40 on a long run either mways or A roads. If I really dawdle I can get 45. Seems like a good excuse to chuck away your 2.0's and get a 3.0 ;-)

Wife takes our 1.8 TFSI on her 35 mile round trip to work on A Roads every day and gets over 40mpg every day. I suspect on a run we would be up in mid 40's fairly easily. Couldn't justify the extra money for a diesel with those figures.
I'm interested to read that mate, as I'm considering buying a B8 160ps S-Line. How do you find the power?

Is it just me or does anyone else put the poor MPG on the tdi down to the great design that is the 'DPF'? Running these things is like stuffing a tattle (that's potatoe in English:) in the exhaust which is bound to suffocate the engine and effect efficiency. I'm not talking big numbers but I reckon (based on what I've read) 5-10 mpg's lost, soon as warranty is out I'm having it off.

Diesels should easy achieve 50mpgs, even big heavy A4's.

Stu

I find it a lovely car to drive - quiet, smooth and if required it has plenty of power and rev's really nicely. It drives in a much higher gear at lower speeds than the our other Audi which is an A3 TDi 170. This obviously helps the mpg but it seems to like it and never splutters. When we got it at Xmas and i went by the suggested gear info, I thought it would keep stalling but how wrong I was!

I havn't had a petrol car for ages and the wife had a Golf 2.0 Tdi before we swapped it for this. I was hesitant thinking the fuel economy etc would make me regret it in the long run. The golf only did 47mpg on her run to work, the insurance on the A4 is less, petrol costs less and I am expecting servicing to be slightly cheaper and also tyres to last longer which is a massive issue on the A3.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one, the equipment, space and driving experience is so much better than my A3.

I'm interested to read that mate, as I'm considering buying a B8 160ps S-Line. How do you find the power?

Now my car is run in a bit (just done 5000 miles) I'm considering the DTUK box, researching on google and other forums it looks like it sometimes helps the MPG's as well as giving some extra grunt! Although ABYSS had a Leon CR170 I've only found decent discussions around the CR140 but they did rolling road at 27BHP extra!

I must admit the look of the A4 is nicer than my old BM. Although I'm not confident on the internal finish, I keep getting a rattling type noise from the speaker in the dash when on dual carriageway in 6th around 2,000 RPM upwards!

I know this is slightly off topic as it is to do with a 3L TDI, I was hoping to get 45-50mpg when I pick it up next month. I curently get 25-30mpg in my S3 and was hoping for substantial savings. Guess I am not going to see it.

I know this is slightly off topic as it is to do with a 3L TDI, I was hoping to get 45-50mpg when I pick it up next month. I curently get 25-30mpg in my S3 and was hoping for substantial savings. Guess I am not going to see it.

Nope, it'll be better than an S3, but not close to the 50's according to Parkers I books around 41mpg.

I have a 2009 2.0TDi A4 S-line and I get 45 to 50 mpg easily.
Recently drove from Dover to Newquay and back approx 700 miles on one tank with a fully loaded car.

Which I think is quite impressive

Reading this thread makes the engine sound pretty crap on mpg so just thought id share my good experience

My 2.7tdi multitronic is showing 42.8 on the dis, and I have had 508miles from the tank untill the light came on but managed to drive another 40 miles I think it was, which I am really pleased with. It has also been into the low 50's on a single journey into work, again on the dis which I imagine is over optimistic but still impressive.

Just thought i'd add my 2p, 143 TDI 48k, 58 plate, 6k since end of Jan 12, DIS shows average over 6k kmiles of 51.8, fill to fill - same station, same pump - 51.2 to 55.6mpg, don't always drive it like a hire car but do take it easy 60 -65 on A road and motorway commute.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth trading mine in for a 2.0 TFSI, I like the look of the Audi over my old beemer, but the beemer engine was some much better and more economical!
I'm really disappointed with the 2.0 TDI 170 in fuel economy and general pickup. Wonder how much it'll cost to change to a 2.0 TFSI BE avant!

I too noticed that the MPG isn't as high as stated on the books. Mind you it is still better than my old S3 (most likely because I only drove that in one way..............HARD) ;)

Yep. I thought the EXACT same thing just the other day. If I only wanted an extra 100 miles out the tank over my 4.2 V8 I would have bought the 2.0T. I really didn't sign up for a 38 mpg average on my TDI, especially when I have been driving Miss Daisy breaking her in... God knows what she will actually be like with my normal driving style. Saying that, its really only 2-3 mpg less than my 143 multitronic avant was giving me.

Problem is though, despite the 1000 miles on the car, it would probably cost me a good £5k to change now I would think.

Don't think I will ever buy another Audi diesel. BMW with winter tyres it will be for me come time to change (i.e. when I wont loose quite so much coin).

Reactions: TripleD
I really didn't sign up for a 38 mpg average on my TDi

Plus side when you break 4000 you'll be getting about 40ish! I'm gonna enquire for cost of change to see what it's like, failing that I'm looking at a DTUK box to help with the pickup as I don't want my ECU pulled out!

Looking into the cost of change seems to be a little on the high side ATM. Looks like I'm locked in with this car for a while.

I guess the next step is to see if there's anything else, I've done some googling at the DTUK stuff, and started this discussion with Andrew (ABYSS): http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/diesel-tuning-uk/156210-audi-a4-2-0-tdi-170-quattro.html

I think a small increase in power will make me a bit happier, but I don't like the idea of ripping out the ECU to unlock it.

Hi just though I'd add my two pence worth. Got the 2.0T with start stop and got 44.5 yesterday between stanmore and leicester, lots of conta flow but lots more at more than speed limit. Also get 33ish on daily commute to work and back. Best I've had is 48.5!!! even took a photo to show my boss lol. Wouldnt touch the Diesels after this I'm afraid

Yep. Kinda wishing I had just gone for the 2.0T now :( Next time maybe, but more likely go for the Beemer (even although I don't actually like them nearly as much).

I have 2005 2.0tdi 140 that I bought for economy. It isnt as good as what I was expecting but changed my driving style and now average nearly 53mpg over 3000 miles.

Looking into the cost of change seems to be a little on the high side ATM. Looks like I'm locked in with this car for a while.

I guess the next step is to see if there's anything else, I've done some googling at the DTUK stuff, and started this discussion with Andrew (ABYSS): http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/diesel-tuning-uk/156210-audi-a4-2-0-tdi-170-quattro.html

I think a small increase in power will make me a bit happier, but I don't like the idea of ripping out the ECU to unlock it.

TripleD, all things being equal would your first choice have been a remap rather than a tuning box? The reason I ask is I am about to get a remap soon and just wanted your opinion on the tuning box. I too have been very disappointed with my 2.0 TDI economy but I suppose I got it for a good price so can't complain too much.

I seem to do better than the average on here.

58 plate 2.0TDi 143 Avant with 70k and I get a minimum of 46 and have seen 55MPG on my run down the M3/A303 at the speed limits. This is with AC off.

Still not as good as I'd hoped for - I used to see over 55 and up to 60 on my old Passat 2.0TDi PD when it was newer, and that was officially 151g/100km compared to the A4's quoted 143. Not sure how Audi get their figures...

TripleD, all things being equal would your first choice have been a remap rather than a tuning box? The reason I ask is I am about to get a remap soon and just wanted your opinion on the tuning box. I too have been very disappointed with my 2.0 TDI economy but I suppose I got it for a good price so can't complain too much.

I looked at remaps but the performance gains are lower than the DTUK box, you have the chance that the dealer will pick up on the remap, and associated problems. The dtuk box is just plug and play, costs less, and when you've finished with the car you can either take the box to the next car or sell it on. So it'll cost you less long term.
Yes any remap person will tell you they are rubbish, and not as good, but they seem to be just protecting your interest. DTUK seem to just be open and honest, they don't slate remaps, just provide the facts based on there findings to support there product.
yes it's a hassle to remove the box when taking a car into the dealers, but simpler than someone that takes there car to be un mapped, then remapped again after.

I'm very sceptical about tuning boxes, seen them in the past, but DTUK have very god reviews across the board, well, I did find one bad review, but suppose you get that anywhere, and it was more bout the people than the product!

Have a chat with Andrew from DTUK, and if your not happy with his answers go the remap route.

Still concerned about the mpg on my A4 FL Avant 2.0TDI 177 Quattro. Have been away on business so haven't had a chance to get through the 2nd tank since pick up. The mpg seems to have improved but is at about 40mpg so far, with normal driving and start/stop. This is still far from the claimed 53.3mpg in combined driving. I will keep monitoring the mpg but if I don't get a solid 45mpg minimum, I will start regretting I didn't go for the S4 or 3.0TDI 245 which have more humfff...

Reactions: TripleD
Great article in the Mail today re manufacturers claims of mpg from their new cars, well worth a look. Some claiming over 40 per cent more than actual figures obtained.

Suppose the lack of response from my dealer means they don't want to give me a price to change to a TFSI!

Seen a nice 61 plate 530d Touring that's taken my eye! I did hint to the missus about changing again and got a sharp response of NO!

Great article in the Mail today re manufacturers claims of mpg from their new cars, well worth a look. Some claiming over 40 per cent more than actual figures obtained.

Yes, have seen it on "THIS IS MONEY" too. It appears Audi aren't the worse offenders. Lab tests vs real world = 10 to 25 mpg difference...

I got a 3L TDI Avant s-tronic to replace my S3 last week, so far around 35mpg overall, 38mpg taking it gently on A roads, 25mpg the first few miles! Pleased with the change.

regards Gray

I put a DTUK box on a 150HP vauxhall diesel. Power was much improved, but within 400 miles the light came on the dash telling me the DPF was getting blocked. So I took the box off and got a full refund.

So I've just signed up to fuelly, and registered some of my fuel receipts on there!
Hmm! Now I know I may have a lead foot, but really 35 MPG avg since end of March! Audi quoted 50mpg!