2.0 TDI MPG

I got a 3L TDI Avant s-tronic to replace my S3 last week, so far around 35mpg overall, 38mpg taking it gently on A roads, 25mpg the first few miles! Pleased with the change.

regards Gray

sounds about right, i've got an a6 3.0tdi tip and i'm getting 31mpg over last 2000 miles (with average speed of 31mph), do 60mph on motorway and i can see 50mpg+, on my 5 mile drive to work with steep hills on a cold engine i usually get 16mpg!

So I've just signed up to fuelly, and registered some of my fuel receipts on there!
Hmm! Now I know I may have a lead foot, but really 35 MPG avg since end of March! Audi quoted 50mpg!

I didn't have any older receipts for mine, but signed up for the last fill up, where I got 37.1 and that tank was mostly cruising on motorways. If I sit with cruise on at my normal speed, on the motorway, I only seem to average 32-33 mpg. Terrible really.

I wonder if the 3.0 TDI is actually any worse?

Well there is a 3.0 TDi sline local to me, just doesn't look as good as my Dynamik!

I'd rather pay the extra knowing I'm running 240BHP rather than getting stung driving a 170BHP!

Exactly. At least driving the 3.0 TDI you are prepared for mid 30's mpg consumption. Plus they map to 280 BHP or so, i.e. STI power, lol.

But driving the 2.0 TDI with the consumption I was expecting from the 3.0 (hence the reason I went for the 2.0) feels like a rip to be honest.

So got majorily P'ed off, Email Audi customer Services ... don't expect a response
Email my Audi Sales contact - he's now off, but will have a look Monday for something else for me!
Email my BMW contact, he invited me in for a chat tomorrow, and apparently has some nice deals going at the moment!

Lets see what happens!

Yes, well you have been warned. The new 3 series is really not that nice a motor. You will be disappointed after looking at / sitting in your A4.

Get to Merc for a look though. The C-Class is a nice enough motor. The Sport+ is a well specced car, the 250 engine is pretty fleet, and economical, and the deals aren't that bad.

My mate has a C200 CDI, and I ripped him for getting it, and old mans car. But his was an almost poverty spec elegance or some other nonsense. But the sport, and the new sport+ is well specced, and looks good.

Reading this makes me happy I've ordered the 3.0 TDi instead of the 2.0 versions... Shame for those expecting more but at the end of the day I'm just looking for more than the 23-28mpg my Astra VXR is giving me (when driving like a granny).

My Bruv use to be a Merc Mechanic, so after what I've heard from him not that tempted by Merc's!

3 series .... errr no! An Estate is a must have for the dog, and they don't do the estate in an M sport yet! besides the new 1 series is fugly, so I can only imagine the 3 series is the same! 5 series looks okay tho.
did contimplate an X3 but gave up on that too!

I'd be happy with a Dynamik with a TFSi engine!

Yep. That would be what I would try to go for if I were you. The 3.0 TDI is too expensive for what it is in my opinioin. It will have about the same consumption as the 2.0T, will likely be about the same speed (slower after both are remapped, apparently), and diesel is 7p per litre more expensive anyway. 2.0T is the way forward with Audi I'm afraid.

I'm currently on the hunt for a 1.9 TDI Quattro Avant just now, see if the fuel economy on that is better. If it is, and I can get a good one, then the B8 will get chopped for a 2.0T most likely (unless I go for that Vantage...)

Just to add my 2p's worth. I'm very surprised the people with 2.0 are getting so low mpg's. The best I've had out of my 3.0 Quattro was 47.8 this was very slow driving on b roads, now I know the computer isn't always accurate but still it can't be far off. Similarly doing 70 - 80 on motorways would return 40 - 42 mpg.

The one thing I have noticed is that you really have to make an effort to achieve these figures, changing gear between 1500-2000 rpm and to be honest its very hard to do. If I drive more normal it drops quiet dramatically. With the mixture of old man driving and a few spirited runs I'm getting 400 miles per tank which is not that great considering the tank size and extra cost of diesel.

I suppose the argument of driving styles and road type comes into play, but if anyone saw top gear when jezza took an a8 from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank, it is do-able.

I think the figures are attainable just not very realistic in the real world.

I'm getting 400 miles per tank which is not that great considering the tank size and extra cost of diesel.
That's just it, I'm getting circa 400 miles out of a tank on my 2.0, if I had a 3.0 I'd expect it!I drive 72 miles round trip to work on dual carriage way driving sensibly, the best I had was on a run to Wales and back where I got 450, again driving sensibly!It really does take the pee!

That's just it, I'm getting circa 400 miles out of a tank on my 2.0, if I had a 3.0 I'd expect it!I drive 72 miles round trip to work on dual carriage way driving sensibly, the best I had was on a run to Wales and back where I got 450, again driving sensibly!It really does take the pee!

To be fair you would expect more than 400 especially being the 2012 engine, is it stop start. Have you thought about a trip to revo.

I run a 143 B8 and get around 47 mpg on the motorway and thats an average drive not a sensible drive. Speeds are around 80-90 but there are a few 50 average speed cameras on the route. The whole trip is about 168 miles. I normally get 500 miles to the red line.

To be fair you would expect more than 400 especially being the 2012 engine, is it stop start. Have you thought about a trip to revo.

Yeah it's start stop, thought about chipping and tuning box, but ultimately the car isn't performing as it should so don't want to chuck good money after bad!

Quite glad actually that someone else is as upset as myself about it.

Jenkobenko, thats impressive. My 143 only got 41 mpg average over 15k. Wasn't hooning it about much either as its just too slow to be worthwhile doing it too much. Mines had the multitronic though, so that probably didn't help much.

xs2man

I do the same trip a few times a week so i will keep an eye on it and see what i get and let you know what happens

stopstart is only usefull if you stop! i've got it on my works van and i only see it stop once or twice a day as i don't live in london lol

First task done, trip to Audi booked in test drive on a tfsi. And also booked my car in for diagnostics as they couldn't believe the 35mpg avg.
Did laugh at the salesman because I just asked to test a tfsi avant, and he gave me normal spiel on most people go for diesel for the economy, so i gave him both barrels on how crap there tdi engine is!

Next trip to BMW at 4pm, then a chat with a decent Audi sales Man on Monday to see what he can offer!

Ha ha ha. Nice one. Glad to hear you give him it good.

I am currently offshore just now, so can't really speak to my salesman just now. Might fire him an email to get the car looked at though. Keep us updated with how you get on though, especially with the 2.0T. I'm sorely tempted to go down that route myself now.

Well had the chat with BMW, I can basically walk away with a 3 series touring easy enough. But I traded a 3 series for the A4! So do I really want another one!!
A 5 series or more specifically a 525d Touring would be a lot more difficult as they book a lot higher! They tried tempting me with the possibility of a 520d touring, but with the weight of the car, think that wouldn't be a good move ..... well doubt it would move at all :)

He's going to speak to BMW head office Monday and see if there's anything else about and let me know.

Speaking with the missus, she hopes the diagnostics comes up with a problem on my car that way I get to keep the car, and she doesn't have to hear about changing cars again!

We'll see what Monday brings from my other Audi dealer or if anything gets found on the diagnostics on Wednesday, they are having the car for 2 days as I'm working away and getting chauffered about by my boss!

In the back of my mind I'm kinda hoping something comes about from Audi, because I'm not sure I want another 3 series .....

Okay, so after a LOT of seaching, I managed to find some receipts from my old 3 series to plumb ito fuelly, it only covers around 3000 miles, but the average was coming back with 44.2MPG on average where as the A4 is now covering 6500 miles and averaging 35.2MPG!

So all in all the difference is 9 MPG which I guess is down to the extra 500Kg weight and the quattro!

So not as much as I thought!! hmmmmm!!! Don't know what to do now! According to a fuelly search a 2.0Tfsi Audi A4 averages around 33MPG although a 3.0 TDi averages 36.3 MPG!

Anyone willing to sign up the fuelly with there TFSI and enter a few receipts?

Yeah, and with their 3.0 TDI's too? I think it probably wouldn't be very far away the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 TDI. Although the 3.0 Will no doubt be a much nicer drive, and a remap will make it even better.

it's tricky to know which way to go tho, I think the OP was quoting the MPG based on the fuel computer, which from the evidence stretches the truth on the MPG's.
There's a few 3.0 TDI's about, but the one local to be is fugly, and the BE in Northampton Audi where I got mine from doesn't have satnav, they have an Sline but that doesn't look as good!

Confused.com! :sob:

I'll make sure that I start posting mine up once I get it. If you can wait until Novemeber of course... ;)

I was impressed when out on an extended test drive yesterday though when I was getting 34 mpg according to the trip computer with mainly town driving and one back road blast where I wasn't hanging around. More than I expected so if mine does the same I won't complain. :) And it only had 244 miles on the clock when I stepped out of it!

My fuel computer better not be stretching the truth, lol. I actually think mine is pretty accurate, as I have averaged about 36 overall according to that, and my last tank on fuelly was 37.1, but then it was the wife who filled it, so no idea how "full" it was.

But my last dual carriageway trip the comp quoted less than 32 mpg, so if its not accurate I will be even more upset, lol.

Just made a little fuel cost calculator based on the cheapest petrol / diesel prices in my area (Free UK fuel prices. Over 11,000 petrol stations covered - PetrolPrices.com), and my annual mileage, just to see what's what, as this is really annoying me just now, and I'm bored at work. So here are the results.

Assuming that the fuel consumption between petrol and diesel are the same:

Fuel use calculator
FuelPetrolDiesel
Price /L1.3391.399
miles per year1500015000
MPG35.235.2
Litres per year1934.6591934.659
Cost per year2590.5092706.588
Difference per year-116.08116.0795

So you would be £116 per year better off in a Petrol, assuming same fuel consumption. Of course, it would be a much better drive though.

Now, I'll change both prices to diesel, and compare the MPG TrippleD is getting (he has 7 fills to my 1, so more accurate I guess), and compare with what I KNOW at least 3 people on another forum are getting from their 330D BMW's (all 06/07):

FuelDieselDiesel
Price /L1.3991.399
miles per year1500015000
MPG35.240
Litres per year1934.6591702.5
Cost per year2706.5882381.798
Difference per year324.7906-324.791

So a saving of £324.80 per year to run the MUCH better engined, 330d.

Now to compare against what I ACTUALLY got in my extended test drive in a 520d.

FuelDieselDiesel
Price /L1.3991.399
miles per year1500015000
MPG35.247.5
Litres per year1934.6591433.684
Cost per year2706.5882005.724
Difference per year700.8639-700.864
Now the 5 series is a bigger, heavier motor, but still a £700, per year, difference. Thats £58 a month ***.

And I do know of a guy with a 335d Touring M-Sport, remapped to well over 300 BHP and 500lbft, and he still gets better consumption that me. Not by much admittedly, but his car is a beast.

So with these figures in mind, its probably not worth me changing just now. But only because I instantly would loose my £3k deposit.

I would assume the 320d would probably give 50 mpg over the same drive as it is substantially smaller than the 5 series. That brings it up to £801 per year (£66.75 per month).

Still a lot of coin. And as I was realistically expecting to get about 45 mpg, I feel like I'm down £590 per year (or £49 per month). That would have paid for a good few extras over the term. Full leather or Nav anyway, maybe both at a push.

My average is over 17 fuel ups! I found the fuel receipts dating back to when I brought the car, so plumbed them all in! Interesting is how the MPG hasn't really changed that dramatically!

That is a lot of money saved on your fuel calculations, my average mileage per year is double yours!
I too would loose about £3000 - £3500 in a change that's what's really stumping me on what to do.

The Audi Sales man isn't phoning me back, he said on Friday he would phone today, and I've tried calling him, and he's 'with a client'.

I'll have a chat with the missus about it tonight, but I guess I'm just going to have to put up with it for a few years :(

My Car says it averages 53mpg but in reality its around 47mpg which isnt to bad me thinks.
2004 8P 2.0 tdi 140 manual stock.
And I have a car full of sound deadening and boot full of MDF/ICE plus a heavy right foot..
Im very happy with my MPG

My average is over 17 fuel ups! I found the fuel receipts dating back to when I brought the car, so plumbed them all in! Interesting is how the MPG hasn't really changed that dramatically!

That is a lot of money saved on your fuel calculations, my average mileage per year is double yours!
I too would loose about £3000 - £3500 in a change that's what's really stumping me on what to do.

The Audi Sales man isn't phoning me back, he said on Friday he would phone today, and I've tried calling him, and he's 'with a client'.

I'll have a chat with the missus about it tonight, but I guess I'm just going to have to put up with it for a few years :(

Well, for you I guess its worth it to change then, assuming you can get a 320d for the same money as the A4, as over the 4 years I pay mine for, I would just about break even with the change, where as you would be about £3k up.

That's based on the newest BMW engine though, and my driving style. Based on your already quoted BMW figures, its £551 per year for me, or £1100 for you. So I guess that just breaks even, over 3 years, but then at least with the Audi you would have 4wd and a nice looking motor.

I think I'll just look for a reasonably priced E91/92 330D as a second car. Although I will be getting a test drive of a 535d when I get home, but I think it will be too expensive if I'm honest. I'll see what its like though.

Emailed my Audi salesman today though, and my car is getting booked in for diagnostics to see if there is anything wrong with it before I decide whether to punt it or not. He's gonna try and sort out a 3.0 TDI as a courtesy car while they have a look. I'll get a decent run in that and see what that produces fuel wise over a couple hundred varied miles.

Have you checked out your vehicles fuel consumption figures from the service book?

Mine says:
Urban: 6.9
Extra Urban: 5.0
Combined: 5.7

That's L/100km so changed into MPG is:

Urban:34.09
Extra Urban:47.04
Combined:41.27

Audi quotes:

Urban: 44.8
Extra Urban: 60.1
Combined: 53.3

There is a disclaimer in the handbook where is describes the L/100km saying these are for comparison only, and values may differ in real world driving!

The more I look into a 3 series, the more I'm thinking to stay with the Audi and just get a DTUK box or remap!

Update:

Audi had my car for 2 days while I was away on business to test it for fuel economy. Picked it up this morning and fed the biggest load of rubbish!
Apparently they achieved 50.4MPG on a 15mile test drive. Funny how when I got back in the car it said 15MPG!!!
They proceeded to tell me how the quoted figures are not real world, and that they are only achieved from turning everything off, and driving in perfect conditions.

I told them I'm not happy, the car is rubbish, and I don't expect to buy a 2.0 TDi to get 35MPG on average, and that my figures come from real world fill ups and mile driven not a stupid trip computer! I also said about how it stated 43MPG on my drive to wales and back, and that I'd be happy around that figure, but when calculating the actual return it wasn't anything near!

They basically had nothing to say about it!

So the fight continues with a call to Audi Customer Services with a view that they can come pick up this hunk of ****, and either provide me with a car that deserves to produce low MPG's such as an S4, OR they need to buy the car back!

Good on you. Mine is booked in when I get home. Taking a 3.0 TDI for a spin while they have it in. And I will see what happens.

Keep us updated with how you get on with customer services, as that may well be my next post of call.

Well customer services didn't really help, saying it's my driving style.
Kinda was nice, but pushed my point that my daily commute is long enough for the car to warm up and give me something reasonable. I started quoting MPG figures and BHP figures at him, then said basically I'm not happy and want something done. either give me a car that's worthy of the 35MPG such as an S4 or give me my money back!

So it's now ushered onto a 'Customer Relations Manager' who will phone me back in 24 hours (Probably Monday now I guess) to discuss matters further, they will call the local dealership and find out what they done etc and maybe look at booking the car in again! I did tell them they had the car for 2 days, and done all these 'tests' that came out clear. So I don't think there's much more they can do, but I guess my request for refund is above a customer services persons role, so will now wait to see what happens.

Update:

Audi had my car for 2 days while I was away on business to test it for fuel economy. Picked it up this morning and fed the biggest load of rubbish!
Apparently they achieved 50.4MPG on a 15mile test drive. Funny how when I got back in the car it said 15MPG!!!
They proceeded to tell me how the quoted figures are not real world, and that they are only achieved from turning everything off, and driving in perfect conditions.

I told them I'm not happy, the car is rubbish, and I don't expect to buy a 2.0 TDi to get 35MPG on average, and that my figures come from real world fill ups and mile driven not a stupid trip computer! I also said about how it stated 43MPG on my drive to wales and back, and that I'd be happy around that figure, but when calculating the actual return it wasn't anything near!

They basically had nothing to say about it!

So the fight continues with a call to Audi Customer Services with a view that they can come pick up this hunk of ****, and either provide me with a car that deserves to produce low MPG's such as an S4, OR they need to buy the car back!

The only way to evidence true mpg is a brim to brim fill.The DIS is as much use as a fish on a bicycle.Tells me my average on a run is 48, yet when i brim it its 32-35.Might be worth getting audi to do the mpg test again using this method which is undisputable.The dopey twats will have relied on the DIS

The only way to evidence true mpg is a brim to brim fill.The DIS is as much use as a fish on a bicycle.Tells me my average on a run is 48, yet when i brim it its 32-35.Might be worth getting audi to do the mpg test again using this method which is undisputable.The dopey twats will have relied on the DIS

Yup that's what they said when I questioned them. I was quite surprised at this because I've found if you reset it while driving on a dual carriage and take your foot off the accelerator you can actually get 99.9 MPG! :icon_thumright:

Well had a test drive in an A5 2.0 TFSi today, seems a lot nicer IMO, but defo the economy is slightly worse than the tdi using the DIS for comparison. Nice smooth pickup, and goes a lot better. Did ask to try a 3.0 TDi but the only one they had was the directors and he doesn't work weekends!

Difficult to know what to do!!

Just an update,

from full tank to fuel light again was 510 miles thats some round town miles and commuting from Swansea to Cardiff every day this week via M4 1 way then the backroads the other.

What are others getting?

Just an update,

from full tank to fuel light again was 510 miles thats some round town miles and commuting from Swansea to Cardiff every day this week via M4 1 way then the backroads the other.

What are others getting?

You make me sick! :sob:

Lucky to get 450 miles from a tank on a decent run!

I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth trading mine in for a 2.0 TFSI, I like the look of the Audi over my old beemer, but the beemer engine was some much better and more economical!
I'm really disappointed with the 2.0 TDI 170 in fuel economy and general pickup. Wonder how much it'll cost to change to a 2.0 TFSI BE avant!

The avant does 37 to 42mpg on a run which is better than the convertible where at best I get 28mpg. But then I didn't buy it for economy...

If I was going for diesel, it would have to be the 3.0TDi. The 2.0's don't do anything for me in relation to performance.

Well had a test drive in an A5 2.0 TFSi today, seems a lot nicer IMO, but defo the economy is slightly worse than the tdi using the DIS for comparison. Nice smooth pickup, and goes a lot better. Did ask to try a 3.0 TDi but the only one they had was the directors and he doesn't work weekends!

Difficult to know what to do!!

My father was hooked on the 143 diesel and had quite a few of them. But for a bit of fun bought the original less economical 2.0TFSi Eos. He said he wont go back to diesels now bacause the petrol is a much smoother drive. In fact he's just sold his Eos and bought the 1.8TFSi A3 which he loves.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleD
I am in the process of changing from A4 2.0TFSi Quattro Special Edition (229 BHP) to A5 2.0Tdi Sport (170 bhp).
I was getting about 20 around town, mid to high 30's on a run and an occasional 40 being deliberately careful (and bored) on a motorway run.
Run to work gave 25-30 mpg.
My lifetime average was 30.

The Deisel 170 bhp 2.0 TDi A5 i am getting might not be brilliant for economy but it should be noticeably better.
I wasnt really using the 220 bhp available from the 2.0T petrol engine and spent too much time looking at the DIS. This is partly the reason I am changing. that and mid life crisis drawing me towards a coupe!
I hope/expect to relax into the A5, enjoy the style and the improved economy. I really hope i dont miss the BHP of the 2.0T too much!
Will start to find out next week!