JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

A4 Avant B8 Towbar electrics

Hi all I am new to this site having returned to Audi ownership after owning a totally unreliable Range Rover L322 for a couple of years. I have recently purchased a late 2008 A4 2.0 tdi SE Avant. I purchased a used Westfalia towbar along with plug and play electrics from fleebay and today tried to fit. The Towbar went on fine but when it came to the electrics I am stumped. My question is do all A4s come with the tow electrics pre wired for plug and play or am I unlucky enough to have a car without it. I know I will have to take the car to Audi so than can tell the car that it has a tow bar fitted but I am stumped on finding the plug. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Just Looking

Status
    I think it was only S-Line that is pre wired with the 'red plug' in the boot.

Did you get the electrics from PF Jones?

You don't necessarily have to take it to Audi, if you find someone with VCDS that can do the coding for you - I did my own. There is a thread in here with lots of info.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The electrics came with the tow bar which is a used one, the guy took it of a 2009. I have just read on the net somewhere that Audi didn't start putting pre wiring in until the 2009 year model. Typical I was hoping to have the functionality that comes with an a pre wired kit. I defiantly don't have a red socket in my boot.

Just Looking

Status
    Have you got the instructions? If so then it will have the westfalia part number which would give you a better idea of what it is capable of.

PF jones is a good resource for info.

Audi A4 Avant 7 Pin Dedicated Wiring Kit Oct 08 on 305214300107

Audi A4 Avant 13 Pin Dedicated Wiring Kit 2008 on 305214300113

Both say the same -

(ONLY suitable for vehicles with towing preparation please call 0800 0354 299 for further info)
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Just Looking

Status
    If you are a bit handy with electrics you could build the loom to effectively give you tow prep. I assume the kit you have has come with a trailer controller.
    Stu.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yes it has the trailer controller, I will take a look in the morning. I am assuming I will remove the multi plug from the loom I had I put the wires in as per the instructions on the wiring instructions. Thanks for your help.

Just Looking

Status
    If you were pre wired you would have had the fabled red plug to plug into the trailer control unit and if you had parking sensors you would put a couple of wires into that too as well as fixing a ground to the chassis.

Some background info -

The Red 12 pin connector carries the assignment T12d

T12d/1 - Possibly Not Used
    T12d/2 - 1.00 Black - Terminal 15 Positive in Man Wiring Harness (Derived from Fuse 12 in Fuse Holder F)
    T12d/3 - 0.35 Red/Black - T17e/11 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) Brake Light Switch
    T12d/4 - Possibly Not Used
    T12d/5 - Possibly Not Used
    T12d/6 - Possibly Not Used
    T12d/7 - 0.35 Orange/Green - T17f/13 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) - CAN Hi
    T12d/8 - 0.35 Orange/Brown - T17f/14 (6-pin coupling station of A-pillar driver side) - CAN Lo
    T12d/9 - 2.50 Red/Brown - Fuse 2 in Fuse Holder F
    T12d/10 - 0.50 Brown - Ground
    T12d/11 - 1.50 Red/Green - Fuse 4 in Fuse Holder F
    T12d/12 - 1.50 Red/Grey - Fuse 3 in Fuse Holder F
    Stu.

2nd Gear

Status
    When I fitted a towbar to my B8 I used an electronic relay box

7 Way Bypass Relay Towbar Towing Electrics Protect Car | eBay

worked straight away