Oil Warning :-/

wolfie138

Reaction score
just had the car tell me i'm down to the minimum oil level. i bought her in October, put about 2000 miles on since - do the 2.0 TFSI engines go through oil this fast?

yep i have a Dynamik 2.0 TFSI Quattro i bought it in May 2011 and i have done 6500 miles and i am still using allot of oil, there is nothing to worry about it will be completely normal up to about 7000 miles, if you bought the car From Audi with very low mileage there should be a couple of small bottles of oil in the boot for this reason, i never got any though so i just bought some from where i get it serviced,
When new they use alot of oil up to about 7000 miles when the engine is fully worn in, it also says in the handbook that it will use alot of oil for the first few thousand mile of having, after about 7000 miles it will still use oil but no as much.
Hope this helps :)

just had a call from a guy at the service - says the car can use up to a litre per 750 miles?! wtf, that can't be right surely??

No NORMAL engine will use a litre per 750miles, however the manufacturers will often put that criteria in as a bit of a get out clause for engines that dont quite meet tolerance.

I change the oil in my cars every 5000miles, the Avant is 12 years old and has done 130k, i never have to top it up between changes. Ok it might not still be at maximum after 5000miles, but i've never seen it below half on the dipstick. My saloon has a freshly rebuilt engine which has done about 5000miles since rebuild, and it too doesnt need topped up, because it was run in properly.

Our previous A4 had 195k on the clock and it did burn oil, approx a litre per 2000miles.

Engines which have been "babied" for the first couple thousand miles will typically have poorer ring seal and more oil consumption than those engines that have been driven hard from the get go.

i thought the whole point was that you weren't supposed to blat an engine hard UNTIL it had run in?

My 2009 2.0 TFSI uses a small amount of oil, but never gets as low as the minimum or warning. I just keep an eye on it and top up when. if required. No big deal really.......

I have bought at least three 4 litre containers of oil since buying the car 2 years ago.

Mine gets through 1L every 4000miles. Audi says its normal for these engines. Not much you can do about it.

I'm using 1ltr every 1500 miles, I'm now on 21000 miles and it's still doing it! Audi say this is normal eg can use a litre every 1000km or 750, it's a joke really! Mine is going into Audi tomorrow to get rough idle looked at which may help with oil consumption

mine uses 1ltr per 2000miles. According to audi this is perfectly normal and my 2.0Tfsi has done 39K!!!

Just for top ups? Seems very high.. .

I have 4 litres in the garage at the moment. I do a lot of motorway driving. On one occassion, I hadn't realised that the oil was so low and the warning message appeared. I put a litre of oil in and the message wouldn't go away. After an inspection by the mechanic, they worked out that my bonnet catch indicator had broken, so as far as the car was aware, the bonnet hadn't been open and therefore oil wasn't topped up! Complicated or what? After they fixed the switch it was happy again.

my 1.8t used to use 1ltr top up between oil changes 10-12 thou