'Shudder' when pulling off in 1st gear

AdverseKing

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a bit of an annoyance with my 59 plate 143bhp 2.0 Tdi S Line A4 ever since i've had it from 11k - now on 26k.

Whenever I pull off in 1st gear from a standing start I have to be really conscious of how I work the clutch with the accelerator so as not to cause a large 'shudder' throughout the car.

Most of the time, the way to overcome this is by taking the revs up to about 2100 rpm and easing in the clutch slowly, which reduces the effect.

A normal gentle start at around 1200-1700rpm will produce the shudder.

I tried pulling off with just the clutch the other day, almost feels the same as with starting off with any power under 2000rpm. Until the clutch is 80% engaged I'd almost say that there is no acceleration difference if I was at 1000 or 4000 rpm, just a reduction in the shudder.

Worst case scenarios would be a hill start / crawl where I'd have to kick the revs up and over 2500rpm so as not to seem asthough I am unable to drive a car to my other passengers. Or when I'm trying to accelerate fast from stationary, if I don't have high revs the shudder is massive and and I almost stall when I quickly take my foot off the clutch and put my right foot down.

It does feel like I'm trying to start a car with only the clutch... and so therefore if i just dump it, I almost end up stalling- no matter how far my right foot is down.

...Absolutely fine when changing up through the other gears.

Would anyone know what the problem might be>?

Thanks

Last edited:
My wife has an A5 2.0 tdi s-line 170 manual and when it was cold in the morning when i accelerated it used to judder and when it warmed up it was fine, i took it back to Audi Blackburn and they did a software update on the car ( if your car is remapped it will most likely wipe the remap) which has now stopped the problem and now it rarely judders, the judder will not do the car any bad, apparently it is something to do with a sensor on the clutch or something or other.
Hope this helps and let me know how you get on :)

Audi just did a software update on the car free of charge under warranty and everything is ok now, if something happens to clutch now its out of warranty i can just say look its been back for the clutch once before so they will have to repair it.

Reactions: sconibeer6
You also haven't done massively over mileage and it may be out of warranty but i knew somebody whos Audi was out of warranty and it was a big problem and they didn't do very much mileage got it repaired free of charge although it was out of warranty, give Audi a ring and sort something out with them, if you have to pay the software updates are not that expensive i think £15-25, but still its the anoyance of it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've booked it in to the garage for next wednesday, I'll let you know what the outcome is.

As with most problems, I hope they can just figure it out and tell me!

My Cab had a clutch judder, but only when cold and nowhere near as bad as yours sounds. Anyway it went into audi and turned out the Dual mass flywheel had failed (car had done 37k). They replaced it and the clutch under extended warranty.

Other things I found out that can cause a clutch to judder would be condensation on the clutch plate or a contaminated clutch (i.e. from an oil or fuel leak).

Hopefully it will be covered by warranty whatever it is.

sounds to me like you have dual mass fly wheel problem as said elsewhere,i am on my third one at 36 k miles common enough prob .

Had the very same thing on my 58plate B8 170tdi. Lasted til 20k with it, mentioned in when it when in for first service, ended up being in for 2 weeks, new clutch and flywheel fitted. Was super smooth after that. Thus far on my 11plate B8 170tdi, no issues, and I'm 14k on the clock.

Reactions: sconibeer6
Audi just did a software update on the car free of charge under warranty and everything is ok now, if something happens to clutch now its out of warranty i can just say look its been back for the clutch once before so they will have to repair it.

Hi Guys, im a newbie to this forum and was wondering if you could please help?!

I took my Audi A4 2.0 TDi 143 S-line 2010 on (42k) to blackburn audi stealers due to

1. The clutch slipping, finding it difficult to take off quickly at standstill
2. juddering at standstill
3. juddering whilst in drive mode
4. stiff whilst putting it into gear 1st 2nd and 3rd
5. Crunching noise from the gearbox when i put it into gears.

The guys at Blackburn Audi said to me it could be the DPF clogged up that that needs manual regeneration and cleaning out as its causing number 2 & 3 from the list (which they did under the extended warranty) and this will fix 95% of the juddering problem and the other 5% of the juddering is coming from the clutch. seriously wtf?!! :wtf:

Which means i still have the gearbox , clutch issue which i still dont how to resolve, now i have seen many posts on the internet and im not a very technical guy when it comes to stuff like this but Audi have said in order to diagnose the clutch slipping and crunching and everything around this problem the gearbox would need to come out, they need my approval and this would cost £270 for 3 hours worth of work, once the gearbox has been removed they will then find out if its wear and tear from the clutch which is causing the (clutch to slip, judder, gearbox gear crunch etc etc) and if it is im not covered under EXT warranty but if its a manufacturers defect it would be covered under the warranty and would be FOC under EXT warranty.

Some help would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to end up paying £270 for labour (removal of gearbox) and after that they say to me its wear and tear and you are not covered. Just to confirm once again the car has only covered 42k and has been very well looked after (one male driver)

thanks in advance guys!

A word of advice. Avoid Blackburn Audi at all costs.

You would be surprised to how many people will tell you different things, take it to a good garage and get the car diagnosed and data logged to rule out any engine management issues.

Does anyone have a receipt of this work ? Mine judders only in 1st and only when cold . If this is a software issue I would rater just ask audi to do it then get fobbed off with flywheels etc