08 B8 1.8TFSI SE Saloon or 05/55 B7 3.0TDIQ Avant?

DrAlf

Reaction score
Hi,
New here. Big fan of audi’s and have the option to buy my company car Audi 08 B8 1.8TFSI SE saloon for the same money as an 05/55 B7 3.0TDIQ Avant. Company B8 has the MMI fitted (which is great), reverse parking sensors and no other options. Car has done 80,000 miles has FASH and has returned about 33mpg during its lifecycle. Alternative option is 100,000+ base model B7 3.0TDIQ (i.e. not even SE) with a couple of options. TDI is more economical even when diesel fuel costs are taken into account – although hardly anything in it.

Love the idea of 4x4 and like the space of the avant but the B8 is newer and the cabin is much nicer IMO. Current B8 is a very early model and has the new chain driven cam 1.8T 160bhp engine which is unknown in the long run. 3.0tdi engine appears to be almost bomb proof with lots of reports of 200,000+ miles.

After a car to keep for a long time.

Which would you go for?

Last edited:
I prefer new technology, but the V6 3.0 tdi B7 is a real peach, personal preference mate, but most options not fitted can be added retro path, B7 boot is nice & comfy car, work out if you need power & big boot or not, if its not important, get the B8.

Thanks for the advice - appreciated and good points. 33mpg on my cross country commute has necessitated extreme frugal driving – which has been difficult as I enjoy making progress. Given the current economical climate, MPG has (disappointingly) started to matter. Previous diesel cars have returned impressive MPG despite driving style whilst the 1.8T requires continual abstinence - i.e <3K = reasonable/poor MPG but boring driving whilst >3K = fun but painful MPG!

3.0TDIQ would seem to offer slightly better Cost/MPG with a more enjoyable driving experience + better load capacity at the cost of a less pleasant interior but better looks.

Long term ownership is also a concern.

Should add 20,000 miles per year, cross country commute - single track, B road, A Road (= 44 miles return)

Tricky. Thoughts? Thanks:)

Well no engine is bullet proof, but thie 3.0tdi is near to it, also if driving normally you'd see 40mpg & still feel the power, my mate had the same car/engine, was just lovely to drive, even with a remap that jumped it to near 300, it was great, mpg will only be an issue really if you tank it everywhere, as with any car lol.

B7 interior isnt bad at all tbh, well I like it :)