Smell when AC turned on

sid812

Reaction score
Hi,
I have noticed a string 'sick/vomit' smell whenever the AC is turned on.
If switch the AC off but keep the fan on, the smell goes away.

Has anyone else noticed this? (Or know what it is!?)

(I have had the car 3months now, is under warranty until April 2012).

Thanks

It's must likely caused by bacteria in the system. Get an air-con bomb (or similar). It'll clean and freshen it all up.

In the meantime I wouldn't use the AC. Most of the bacteria will be benign apart from smell, but it's possible to get legionnaires and the like in there.

Rob

I had mine done at a dealer about six months ago.Stunk of baby sick (i dont have a baby) and an ashtray (i dont smoke in the car).I dont know what was worse, the acrid 'lemony' chemical smell, or the original whiff.Took three months to get rid of 'lemony' only to be replaced by baby puke again.I give up

I have the same problem with my A5 got dealer to try bomb didny work tryed spray down air vents didnt work so have given up

It is caused by either a brand new re gassing in a used car or lack of use, which happened in my 56 a3, stunk for about a year, but you must use the air con. Turning it off will only make the problem worse. I left mine on and running on ice cold when I cleaned the car one day and it really helped.
as for a new car smell, it shouldn't happen but could be the gas used in the factory build.

mine just started doing this about a week ago!
i am going for a regass at kwikfit ( booked £29 online) as after reading up on this it should cure it!
i noticed about a year ago that my aircon was not getting as cold as it should be, and according to the bloke in kwikfit, regassing should be carried out annually!
i dont think my car has ever been done and its a 2005! lol
anyway apart from the lack of cooling abilty it has never really bothered me, until it started smelling last week!
mine smells of rotten eggs!
the good thing about kwikfit is, they vacum the old gas out, recharge with fresh, and if your a/c is not holding the gas they dont charge you!
after this if my air con works, but still smells, i will be investing in an aircon bomb off ebay! as i hear these work a treat! for smelly whiffs!