Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    M7R
    Type Approval Engineer,

Status

2.0 td S linei "e" or not to "e" that is the question

Me again, look for a few opinion from folks that own the "e" models now, as there have been a couple of S line Black Editions in my dads price range come up for grabs but they have the 2.0tdie engine fitted, so lower lax, marginally less power, but massivly more economy... however I know from witnissing the fuel economy tests that what the offical test says and what you actually see on the road arent always the same...so does it really give more mpg? and is the slightly lower power and longer gearing more noticable over a 140bhp "normal" model?

also are there any issues with towing? as the options lists says the oe bar cant be specked on a e model, and yet the masses section says it can tow, just a little less than the 143 model.. dad will only ever really be towing a camping trailer so no need to have the max capacity he can, how ever he will be having a oe bar with oe electrics fitted if he can.

any other reason not to buy a "e" engined car? or a black edition?

thanks

Karl

83 GTi - road legal track weapon - now running 2.0l 16v super charged, = FAST!
    Daily hack: Audi A4 Avant S Line 2.0TDI Motech map to 175bhp, Milltek twin exit system, 1/2 leather, DIS, Fan washer jets, B8 rear aero wiper, FK headlight,

2. # ADS
    ADS

Just Looking

Status
    What you'll need to be careful of for towing is that the car was Type Approved for towing in the UK else you might have insurance woes.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

M7R
    Type Approval Engineer,

Status
    I will be able to check straight away from the vin plate, but in theory they claim a towing weight in the hand book.

as part of the european whole vehicle type approval the car would be tested to ece94/20 which is couplings, and this is where the manufacture declaire the towing capacity and it is these that appear in the hand book. they are valid for all of the european countries.

I have read a few mag reviews of the SE model but not seen anything about the S lines? or many reviews from folks that actually own them, so the more reviews the betetr please

cheers

Karl

Daily hack: Audi A4 Avant S Line 2.0TDI Motech map to 175bhp, Milltek twin exit system, 1/2 leather, DIS, Fan washer jets, B8 rear aero wiper, FK headlight,

1st Gear

Status
    i have a 136 tdi black edition avant, i came from an 2010 S3 so it is going to feel slow, however i wouldnt say it is left feeling sluggish at all, i also drove my brothers a3 black edition 143 tdi recently and didnt really notice any difference in performance..

Hope this helps a little
    Past cars.....

52 Leon cupra r
    54 Mini cooper s works
    05 golf gti
    07 type r
    57 R32
    08 leon cupra k1
    Red S3 sportback now gone..
    11 A4 136 diesel black edition

Current...

S3 sportback Ibis white pan roof..
    nice to be back after diesel power

M7R
    Type Approval Engineer,

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo555 View Post
    i have a 136 tdi black edition avant, i came from an 2010 S3 so it is going to feel slow, however i wouldnt say it is left feeling sluggish at all, i also drove my brothers a3 black edition 143 tdi recently and didnt really notice any difference in performance..

Hope this helps a little
    yeah thats brill, we are off to see one tomorrow that should be perfect, its a 11 plate ex demo car from newcastle audi, it ticks all the boxes and the price is right so fingers crossed.. then I just need to wait 3 years or so and I can convince my dad to sell it to me for a good price lol

1st Gear

Status
    Sounds good, they are really well specced... what price is it up for???
    Past cars.....

52 Leon cupra r
    54 Mini cooper s works
    05 golf gti
    07 type r
    57 R32
    08 leon cupra k1
    Red S3 sportback now gone..
    11 A4 136 diesel black edition

Current...

S3 sportback Ibis white pan roof..
    nice to be back after diesel power

M7R
    Type Approval Engineer,

Status
    its up for £24 950 which is cheaper than some on the used audi site that are the same spec car, so fingers crossed its ok, and Ill see if it has any other extras like the light pack fitted as in true dealer fashion the website doesnt list all the spec,

Just Looking

Status
    Did you get the car??
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

M7R
    Type Approval Engineer,

Status
    yeah we got it, it was in pretty good nick with a few stone chips and other marks, but was about £1500 cheaper than the same cars here in the midlands, so even once we have been to a friends body shop for a touch up it will still have been worth it.

only disapointment so far is the economy, we only averaged 46mpg on the way back from newcastle, but I put most of the blame on my dads motorway driving....im sure I would have been up in the high 50s easily and still got home as quick (the economy went up when I convinced him to use the cruise as he couldn't hold a steady speed for love nor money... one min we are doing 70.. the next some one passes, pulls in front of us and then dad paces him self on them! then realises and slows down a bit and the cycle repeats! but ill beat it out of him)

Told him he also needs to be careful as his drive to work is only a mile and a bit (avg 15mpg so far!) so a good chance he will start to clog the dpf soon!)

Just Looking

Status
    46mpg isn't too bad is it???
    Stu.

M7R
    Type Approval Engineer,

Status
    its 175 miles from newcastle audi to dads front door, about about 10 miles tops is non motorway / dual carriangeway. the e models should do in the 60s on the motorway... now I know better than most the european drive cycle is rubbish for real word, (I have witness the testing and issued the approvals for a number of manufacturers) but in my old B7 140 I would be getting high 40s on a run like that, and in my mk4 estate which I have gone back to I would in the mid to high 50s easily, so I would expect the new A4s to be at least into the low 50s with a e model.

Im going to keep an eye on it and maybe even borrow it for a few runs, as I am tempted by one in a couple of years tops (I miss my old B7 loads) but it needs to be doing the mpg to make it viable (I do 70 miles a day going to work and back and mid to high 40s just isnt going to make it viable)

2nd Gear

Status
    As you don’t normally see 50-60 mpg quoted in many Audi posts I thought I’d add my 2 pence worth.
    I use to have a B7 2.0TDi 170 quattro and never saw anything better than 36mpg.
    I then had a B8 2.0TDi 143 (albeit for only a few months) this use to get low 40’s.
    I’ve also had the 2.0TDi engine in a VW Jetta and Passat and even on long runs was lucky to see 48-49,
    low 50’s when ‘driving like miss daisy’.
    Early days with the new one but according to ‘Road trip’ app (thanks for the tip Stu) I’m getting 34 (dis says 36)
    Anyway I’m not complaining – my point is can the 136 ‘e’ engine really get 50-60 mpg? Even if you drive like a saint??
    Soon - S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

Now - A4 Avant 3.0TDi quattro Black Edition

M7R
    Type Approval Engineer,

Status
    I was getting high 40s, low 50s avg in my old B7 2.0tdi (I looked at getting a quattro but everyone said high 30s was the best I would get), one of the other engineers in my office has a B6 passat 140 estate and hes getting the same as I was in my A4, so I would expect the e models to e in the low 50s,

I dont drive like miss daisy, but I do drive for economy swiftly...driving style can make a big change to your MPG, like sticking around 70 not 80, coasting to junctions in gear, not thrashing it through the gears but shifting up at 2100 rpm or so etc etc,

I dont expect to match audis numbers, but i do expect to be in the 50s if driven properly

2nd Gear

Status
    Fair enough I guess! I like to try and not worry too much
    and just enjoy the drive - with that in mind I bet the mk1 Golf
    Is fun to drive?
    Soon - S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

Now - A4 Avant 3.0TDi quattro Black Edition

M7R
    Type Approval Engineer,

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Fair enough I guess! I like to try and not worry too much
    and just enjoy the drive - with that in mind I bet the mk1 Golf
    Is fun to drive?
    I need to update my sig, the mk1 went in favour of a mk2 golf with a 1.8T and even more power (yet still does mid 30s mpg lol) the mk2 is loads of fun to drive when I get chance.

4th Gear

Status
    I only get low 40's in my 143 also. I put it down to the lack of cruise and the multitronic box. I used to get mid to high 40's in the 140 A3, but that was mapped, and was driven like it was stolen a lot.
    Looking for the right A4 Quattro. 1.9 TDI / 1.8T or 2.0T...
    My A4:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/125399-my-brief.html