what options to look for on a S line Avant

M7R

Type Approval Engineer,
Reaction score
Website
www.dubclique.com
My father is now looking to get an 11 plate S line Avant but I wondered what options are worth looking for and whats not worth paying extra for? and whats standard kit? as im not that up on the B8s (I knew pretty much all te options on the B7s when I got one and then he got one but tbh I didn't look much as the B8s as I knew I couldn't afford one for a few years)

He has said he 100% wants a S line avant inn white and seems set on it having the black grill surround (optic packs as I knew it on the B7s) which is making my life hard as not many cars seem to have that (persoanlly I don't think it suits the B8 as much as the B7 but he's a stubbon old sold and talking him out of it is taking time!)

he also wants the privacy rear windows, which I agree do look quite nice on a white car, but other than that he isn't sure what options to look for /retro fit maybe? - he has mentioned that he likes the light pack he has on his B7 with the foot well lights and puddle lights,

if anyone has a list of optional extras that were avaiable on 60/11 plate cars that would be a huge help,

thanks

Karl.

My sig has a few of them. :)

If he's looking for rear tints and a black grille surround then he needs to be looking for a Black Edition which would also have black interior trims instead of the usual aluminium.

You could always look at the Audi configurator and 'build' a car.

seen the black edition but there's non in his price range.

I have been looking at the online options list, but when you look on the audi used website it isn't always clear what extras the car has, as not all options are listed or the same option can be called a few different things by the look of it.

Yes mate, sadly dealers aren't good at listing them.

You can download the brochure as a PDF which will tell you basic equipment.

If you can't get a BE for the right money then you need to be looking for a Black Optics Pack.

Definately forget the configorator and just use the PDF file.

The only option I'd say is a really must have is the light pack. Of course it gives you the nice things you expect but it also gives you a glovebox light. And yes it is criminal not to have one as standard!

If he's looking for an 2011 car then how much saving can be had compared with list price? It should be a big chunk due to the VAT etc but when I looked at nearly news it wasn't worth it. Many things have changed since 2008/9.

seen the black edition but there's non in his price range.

I have been looking at the online options list, but when you look on the audi used website it isn't always clear what extras the car has, as not all options are listed or the same option can be called a few different things by the look of it.

I would go and have a chat with your dealer as I think you would be surprised at what deals and offers are to be had on the A4's at the moment. He wouldn't be saving that much buying a demo to a new one if the offers are good, and he can spec it to how he wants it... What engine is he after?

no glove box light?! hmmm I am guessing he will be wanting a light pack then!

the max budget is £27K but that is the very tops, we are off to the local dealer this weekend for a nosey so we will see what they offer, if he can get a demo one then provided it has the right options (he is still banging on about the optics pack! but mums working on him! as that seriously limits the number avaiable and personally I dont think it looks as good as it did on the B7) but the main toys and options it must have is the privacy rear glass and the light pack, he isn't bothered about things like the sat nav.

I have seen a couple of good ones that tick most boxes on line, but it depends if mum can beat some sense into him (about 2 months ago he was adament he was having a VW Amorak! Mum soon shot that idea down as they live in the suburbs!)

also when did the model update come with the Brake Assist, LED lights and other tweaks?

cheers

Karl.

There's been various bits added over time such as Bluetooth (a must I'd say) but nothing really changed much until the MY2010 model came out in mid/late 2009.

This added the LED rear lights to the S-lines, new shape mirrors (less wind noise) and it also added the Stop/Start technology to the 2.0TFSI and the 2.0TDI (both in manual guise only)....but you then can't get Hill Hold Assist with Stop/Start.

I thought Brake Assist was standard across the range or are you talking about Audi Hill Hold Assist?

I would be very wary of buying without MMI. It leaves a very large expanse of plastic in the centre which IMHO would seriously affect resale.

Privacy is nice, a definite for me if it's available but for the Saloon it wasn't so some nice tints overcome the problem - Might be worth bearing in mind.

I still cant get my head round the penny pinching of no glove box light its a disgrace.I have rear parking sensors and i think they are a must,also have AMI for ipod but this was already in as i got a ex demo its not really essential as you get 6disc MP3 changer and SD slot (with s-line),but i would suggest B&O sound system its awesome just wish mine had it i would swap for AMI any day and when i change i will defo be looking for B&O next time.Also this is my first car with cruise control and i would not buy a car without it again,although i think its a pretty easy retro-fit for the dealer.