Manual gearbox

oscar

moo
Reaction score
my '10 2.0 TFSI quattro s-line avant has a gearbox that is tbh, pretty ****e

I was putting up with it, because I thought it might loosen up (now done 10k miles), but it's developed a new and dangerous habit of being unwilling to select first gear, instead choosing reverse (seemingly at random)

the other main issue it has is a refusal to go into gear at higher revs - but aside from that it just feels clunky and unwilling

Has anyone else had problems / are they all a bit poor (I've read quite a few people complaining about the manual box on A4s) - was contemplating trading it in against an automatic.

it's booked in next weds. Seeing as noone has piped up with a "yeah they're bobbins, don't expect miracles" I'll push them to get it sorted.

I'm still tempted to trade in to a S4 with dsg tho :)

I had an issue with not bieng able to get into second gear when new, i had to force it as it was notchy.A new 2nd gear didnt work, but a change in oil viscocity did.Sounds nothing like the probs you have though.Oh and by the way....go for that s4

I had gearbox problems with my first B8 2.0 TDi (2008)
it had to be forced into 1st gear - i'd only done 200 miles when dealers change the clutch pressure plate, another 500 mile then they
changed the gearbox! even after 1000 miles it didnt seem to losen up.
This time ive gone for auto!