OSIR O-Shift S-Tronic Paddle Shift Retrofit

VRStu

Just Looking
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.octavia-vrs.com
A couple of people in another thread have asked for a quick how to on fitting these replacement paddles.

They can be purchased from OSIR Design USA-OSIR - O-Shift-R - Audi A3, A4, A5/S5 Q5, Q7

Before removing the airbag you should disconnect the battery -ve terminal. There is a 'procedure' for this which states that you should unplug the Battery Monitor Control Unit before disconnecting and also have the ignition switched on when disconnecting and connecting the battery.

The battery is located in the boot, under the spare (space saver) wheel -

IMG_0231.jpg

Battery -

IMG_0232.jpg

Battery -ve connector with Battery Monitor Control Unit disconnected -

IMG_0233.jpg

Switch on the ignition. With the ignition switched on, disconnect battery earth wire.

Move the steering wheel down and to the rear as far as possible, using the full range of the steering column adjuster to reveal the two covers on the back of the steering wheel that cover the torx T20 screws you need to undo the Air Bag -

IMG_0237.jpg

Turn the steering wheel so that the cap on the back of steering wheel is pointing straight upwards (approx. 12 o'clock position).

Unscrew Torx bolt for airbag.

Turn the steering wheel by 180° and repeat the procedure on the opposite steering wheel side.

Pull the airbag slightly away from the steering wheel to give access.

IMG_0238.jpg

Pull the airbag connector locking element as far as the stop. This will release the electrical connector which can then be unplugged. Unplug the smaller electrical connector for the Multifunction items. Detach the airbag.

IMG_0240.jpg

Around the edge of the opening is a plastic frame which can be removed by simply pulling it from the steering wheel.

IMG_0241.jpg

The Multi Function controls can now be slid out of the steering wheel to reveal the smaller torx screws which hold the Paddles in place -

IMG_0242.jpg

Remove the screws to release the Paddles.

IMG_0246.jpg

There is also a small 3 core wire that is plugged into the Multi Function Controls which you'll need to remove.

IMG_0249.jpg

Extract the Multi Function Controls from the steering wheel, you'll need to be careful getting the wires out through the steering wheel as there isn't much space.

With the Paddles removed you should slide out the hinge pin which will allow you to separate the front and rear sections. If you look inside you'll see the end of the hinge pin, you can use a small screwdriver to ease the pin out and then carefully use small pliers to withdraw the pin.

IMG_0260.jpg

Be very, very careful at this point as they are a little tricky and there is a very small spring inside.

IMG_0251.jpg

A couple of comparison images -

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Refitting is the reverse, taking care when putting the wires back through the small openings in the steering wheel.

Installation of the airbag is carried out in reverse order.

Make sure all electrical connectors are fitted correctly and engage audibly. Make sure that the wiring is not trapped. Connect the electrical plug for the coil connector to the airbag coupling at the return ring with the slip ring. Position the airbag in the steering wheel.
Screw in the two torx bolts for attaching the airbag approximately two turns, operate horn three times to ensure an even gap width. Tighten the bolts, press the caps into the openings in the steering wheel.

You should also remember to switch on the ignition again before connecting the battery -ve terminal.

Fitted -

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

No way you changed your car again, you sly git, was this due to the new addition by any chance.

Those paddles should fit the 8P aswell huh.

Guess you lose the led symbols on each paddle with this mod?

I have something similar planned, update you when done.

Last edited:
Fancied a little more space and a high torque oil burner Nige.

Yes I think they'll fit the 8P no problem.

There are some other options out there which are extensions etc but they are not so good. I've fitted a few sets of these OSIR ones now and they are really nice. On this version you lose the symbol but on the Mk5/Mk6 golf ones you don't.

Yeah tbh I'm caught between rock & hard place atm, I always loved a 3dr car, but as you know with kids it just doesnt work with all the crap you have to take with you & in/out all the time, need ease of access which even the SB isnt that kind, hence why I'm considering changing both cars.

Certainly got buckets or torque with that engine, very nice runner.

I've seen those extensions & they're very fugly, look like, which car was it, aston or ferrari, cant recall, that had what looked like bat ears sticking up, awful design.

Might have a look at the golf versions & maybe get a dremel out :)