S4 Reliability Issues

Trev241

Reaction score
How many S4 owners have experienced the following three well documented quality issues on their car.

Creaking clutch pedal.
Water pump fault.
Thermostat fault.

If so you will probably have had all items replaced under the respective TSB, just wondered if anyone has any real concerns for the future reliability of their S4 ?

Trev,

I have had my water pump fail and the thermostat will be changed at my next service in a few weeks. No clutch pedal problems though.

I also periodically have a very slight judder from the clutch which i will not be investigating.

Regarding reliability i had the same fears as you but ultimatly what can we do? German cars just dont seem to be built as well as they used to, and nothing from the East intrests me.

I guess we have warranty for a reason, the next few years will basically decide if i keep the car past the first 3 years like i planned.

What are your thoughts, i guess you are not happy?

Trev,

I have had my water pump fail and the thermostat will be changed at my next service in a few weeks. No clutch pedal problems though.

I also periodically have a very slight judder from the clutch which i will not be investigating.

Regarding reliability i had the same fears as you but ultimatly what can we do? German cars just dont seem to be built as well as they used to, and nothing from the East intrests me.

I guess we have warranty for a reason, the next few years will basically decide if i keep the car past the first 3 years like i planned.

What are your thoughts, i guess you are not happy?
Your right I am not at all happy, after all clutches,water pumps and thermostats are not exactly new technology so how can they get it so wrong.

Like you I am concerned over the long term prospects for my car, equally it may not miss a beat.

I did manage to extract an extra years warranty out of the dealer which is better than nothing.

You did well to get that, after all Audi dont seem interested in looking after the UK market. Now if we were in America that would be a different matter.

About 4 weeks ago i emailed Audi to get a postal address to write a letter of complaint to, i have just heard back from them. I dont know if i have the energy to be bothered getting fobbed off by them though.

Guys
out of interest, what year made are of your cars? Mine is 2010 Aug, over 6000 miles on the clock and touch wood there is no issue for me so far. I agreed though the S4 is supposed to be the top of the range for the A4 series. How can they get it so wrong?

Hi gents I have a 2011 S4 and have had numerous problems it's been back for water pump, thermostat, high pressure fuel pump and that ****** key in the dashboard thing, had a TT before that and never a problem

Oh and I don't think the gearbox (manual) is as smoothe as it should be