Service interval mistake

Necroscope

Reaction score
When i collected my car 1 year ago to the day yesterday, i requested as most do to have the car set to variable servicing.

So a few weeks ago when the service indicator said service in XX days, i though ow well, and booked it in.

On Saturday i took the car to Stafford Audi, and asked before they did any work to check that the car was on variable, due to the low milage (6700) and the fact that i was back alomost 12 months to the day.

Turns out the car has been set to fixed servicing. Stafford tried resetting the car to variable, but once the service indicator is on, it will not go off (or so i was told).

Stafford recommended that i speak to Stratford (where i purchased the car from) as it was their mistake.

Stratford have apologised, and said to bring the car in at 10K and to pop into a local Lister branch to have the service light turned off.

As of today the DIS is saying:

Next oil change 2800miles/2days
Next service 12500miles/752days

There is an option to rest the oil change interval. Has anyone done this?

If the car had been correctly set to variable would that inspection service still have been around 12500 miles.

Lots of question but i want to be sure that i will not be out of pocket due to Audi's mistake.

Cheers,

Phil.

The oil change interval setting can be changed.Mine is set to variable, and i had the oil changed at 5000 miles, when the dis told me 13000.I like to change my oil every 5000...ust force of habit.The dis then reset itself to 18000 before my next oil change.

I think someone with VCDS might stand more chance of amending the setup for you. The dealers could probably do it with VAS but they would need to adapt the channels individually rather than the one press does all button.

I think all cars are shipped from the factory with LongLife oil but that is something you should definately check before considering to exceed the advice given on the DiS.

If you have any proof of asking for variable then why not ask the supplying dealer to carry out the fixed service FoC and set the car to variable for you.

Johnny, what is the DIS showing for your inspection service, did this date change when the oil service was complete, or is it fixed regardless of the service setting interval?

Stratford confirmed the car would have been shipped with long life oil, and that i would not be damaging the car or warranty by running to 10K. Got to admit that this doesnt sit well with me though.

I was hoping the service would be free based upon wasted time and them getting it wrong, but they havent gone that far............yet.

Thanks for the advice guys.

why would you want it on variable anyway?

Learn from people who have gone before you, and scrap the long life servicing.

Aragorn, whats the problem with long life servicing then?

I have had this problem with Teesside Audi it was a nightmare to get sorted and in the end it still wasnt fixed,i have the wrong parrameters on the DIS as they changed the oil but couldnt change the service interval back,when i got the car from them after servicing they set the DIS to longlife (2years service) even though i told them i wanted it on varibale and as i got 2 years free servicing when i bought the car (that only lasts two years as it has a use by date on the voucher).I asked the question about the oil and they told me there is no such thing as longlife and shortlife oil it is all longlife oil that is used no matter what service plan is chosen.Im still not convinced by them and will be taking it to another dealer for this years service.

Johnny, what is the DIS showing for your inspection service, did this date change when the oil service was complete, or is it fixed regardless of the service setting interval?

Stratford confirmed the car would have been shipped with long life oil, and that i would not be damaging the car or warranty by running to 10K. Got to admit that this doesnt sit well with me though.

I was hoping the service would be free based upon wasted time and them getting it wrong, but they havent gone that far............yet.

Thanks for the advice guys.
the dates changed as if it had been serviced.Looks like theres a few variables between dealers!

My S3 is coming up to a year old and has started requesting an oil change at exactly 12 months old even though it has done under 7k, the DIS shows another service due exactly 12 months in the future. I rang the dealership I bought it from and they tell me this is probably due to driving style but I reckon it has actually been set to fixed servicing by the dealer before delivery.

A common tactic by dealers to try to increase revenue from servicing perhaps?

Due to collect my new car on Saturday!
Should I be asking for it to be set to
Variable or long life servicing then?
I do about 15000k miles a year!
Cheers
Keef

Just to follow this up as i clearly forgot all about it all those months ago.

Many older Audis have had all sorts of oil related engine problems, from turbochargers siezing up, to the engine welding itself together due to a lack of lubrication.

Poor servicing (ie leaving the oil in there for 20 thousand miles) causes sludge to build up inside the motor, which eventually starts to block oil passages, and the pump oil pickup itself. This results in components or the entire engine being starved of oil.

Clearly Audi themselves will never admit it, but the point is that it looks good on sales literature, and will easily see the car thru its warranty period, so they quite simply arent bothered about the problems it causes in later life. If you insist on variable servicing, then do the engine a favour and have someone change the oil (or do it yourself) half way thru the interval, using the correct specification oil.

My own car, which has extensive history, was on long life servicing for the first 8 years of its life, the previous owner from me having switched it back to fixed, and theres plenty of signs of sludge in and around the rocker cover etc. I've subsequently changed the oil change interval to 5k, and the short intervals are having the desired effect with the oil becoming cleaner with each change.

I'm probably lucky and caught it in time, but many others arent.

Reactions: VRStu
I entirely agree with the above and would advocate fixed term servicing myself. It's a problem with TDi and especially the PD140 causing turbo failures. SEAT have already learned and are already on fixed schedules for many models.