AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

Unhappy ** ESP FAULT ** light has come on twice now.... HELP....!!!

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2008 Audi A4 (SE). Its the new shape Model - B8 I think.. !?!?

I have had two occurences now where when driving normally when the DIS in front me of me has poppped us with "ESP FAULT! - Consult drivers manual".

First time was on the motorway doing 70mph...... I nearly kack'd it.... when stopping at the next services, I looked at the manual and all it said was turn off engine for a bit and restart... the fault should go.

It went in a month or so ago for new SUSPENSION MOUNTS.... on a 2008 car...!!!! .... under warranty of course - I was getting a sligt knocking at low speed turns...ie in driveway... occured very rarely but still a worry.

Anyways... as it went in, Audi Cheshire Oaks checked it out on their system and told me no Fault Codes where found..... hmmm I thought...!!! They said not to worry.

Only yesterday, did the same fault pop up in front of me... this time, reversing in a car parking space in work..

Can anyone help and try to shine some light on the above issue Audi says I dont have... ????

Also, anyone had new top mounts...???

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    If you're car is something like this then it is a B8 :

Either way I'd simply capture it on my phone when it happens and then email it to your dealer asking when it can be booked in to remedy it. I'd insist it was resolved on the basis that if the ESP is not always operating correctly then it's a safety issue.

To be fair if it's intermittent then it could be a ***** to find. I'm surprised theres no DTCs showing ... unless they've fed you a line. Maybe someone close to you in Cheshire has got VCDS so they can run a scan?
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

1st Gear

Status
    Ask your local dealer to check front speed sensors. Did this happen in wet conditions?
    DELIVERED : 2014 Q5 S-Line Plus, 2.0Tdi S-Tronic, Phantom Black, Power Fold Mirrors, Heated Seats

SOLD : 2013 A4 Avant Black Edition, 2.0Tdi Multitronic, (177bhp), Phantom Black, Leather/Alcantara, Auto dimming/Folding Mirrors, Mobile Phone Low, Heated Seats, Interior Light pack, 30mm S-line Suspension.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by funkycat View Post
    Ask your local dealer to check front speed sensors. Did this happen in wet conditions?
    Both days were dry. One at 70mph and the other at 2mph going in reverse. thanks for the tip. I'll mention that to the dealership.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had a the same fault and Audi replaced the steering angle sensor which cured the fault

Geordie

Status
    Not sure whether it applies to your car but certainly since about 2006 VAG group have been aware that there is / was ? a problem with the ATE Teves Mk. 60 ABS / ESP module on some of its cars including Golf, A3's, A4's etc. If my memory serves me correctly its something to do with the brake pressure sensor within the ABS unit. If this is the same module on your car and it is still under warranty Audi should replace it at minimum cost. Full cost is well over 1K some quote 1500. Make sure the problem is recorded with Audi. I always record any faults by e-mail as well as visiting the dealer to ensure they can't contest things after the warranty runs out.

Reverse Gear

Status
    just an update:
    I've been in to Audi Cheshire Oaks who put it on the diag system again. They found an intermitant fault on the steering wheel angle sensor, so thats going to be replaced soon.

thanks for everyones advice. Hopefully this will be of some use to other people having the same prob.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pezlaa View Post
    just an update:
    I've been in to Audi Cheshire Oaks who put it on the diag system again. They found an intermitant fault on the steering wheel angle sensor, so thats going to be replaced soon.

thanks for everyones advice. Hopefully this will be of some use to other people having the same prob.
    Mine been on for this fault twice now, once in feb 10 when i bought it and identical feb 11 both times had a steering wheel angle sensor fitted
    2010 A4 Avant B8 S-Line Executive 143ps 2.0 Tdi Ice Silver

Extras - 5 spoke 18's, Comfort Pack, Electric Seats, Start-Stop, alcantara/leather, Silver Stitching, Factory Tints all round, Cruise control, symphony 6 disc changer, mobile phone prep low

Previously Owned 2002 Red A4 Avant Quattro Tdi 130 , 2004 Red A4 Avant Quattro Tdi 130

Just Looking

Status
    There is a repair kit for these now I think.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.