2.0 TDI Dip Stick Length

PaulTheo

Reaction score
Does anyone know the length of the dip stick from the top of the tube to the min and max marks so that I can make a dip stick to use when doing oil changes. I have searched but nothing seems to answer this question. I have seen Audi dip sticks for sale in the USA but nothing this side of the pond.

Thanks I know I should trust the MMI (LOL) but nothing like seeing it for yourself.

Best comparing the reading on the MMI with the position on the stick. 500mm should be MMI showing half way.

Thanks I am going to make one today and mark it half way between to fine tune it.

Thanks I know I should trust the MMI

Yup. I take it you'll also do fixed length servicing an fill up every x miles rather than trust the fuel guage... on and don't forget to install a temperature prob in the engine in case the Audi one is lieing ;)

I know many people have done this (this is the Audi part number people use for the petrol engine : 06J 115 611 E) and of course we all do what we like to our own cars but I don't get buying into a car with masses of advanced electronic engine diagnostics etc and not trusting the oil guage.

Well the oil fairies must visit quite often then as the MMI tells me the oil level goes up and down between 1/4 and 3/4 sat in the same place on my drive after being stood. And you would be the guy going up the one way street the wrong way because the sat nav says turn right so you do the wrong way up a one way street!!! LOL

Reactions: SI-W85
Well the oil fairies must visit quite often then as the MMI tells me the oil level goes up and down between 1/4 and 3/4 sat in the same place on my drive after being stood. And you would be the guy going up the one way street the wrong way because the sat nav says turn right so you do the wrong way up a one way street!!! LOL

Sounds like you have an issue with your car and perhaps you should have it checked? :unsure: ... but I guess if you're not gonna use it then the fault doesn't matter.

Satnav - yep - I've done had that many times. I've even driven into fields, fire stations and off cliff tops a few times too. :eyebrows:

One owner had an issue so you'd buy a dip stick!?

Mine's not using much oil (didn't need a top up between oil changes) so it's not something that's a concern to me. The MMI always showing full is enough for me.

As I say, your car, your money. :icon_thumright:

Don't. A couple of days before it's oil change, it dropped off max so I know it works. ;)

Great bit of info on the lengths cheers for the info

Very good info! Very little information available on this. Quite obvious not many people change the oil themselves. Otherwise they would know what a pain just using the MMI is. I to had the MMI tell me it was 1/4 on topping it up, found it didnt need any and had to then drain it off from the sump. Not a five minute job for those that dont know? Unless one has a sump vacuum pump. I will be tracking down the parts shortly for checking manually. Meanwhile if anyone knows more on the subject, it would be nice to know as well?

Why don't you buy a dipstick for it. The cars dip stick tubes are there but blocked with a rubber plug. I bought a dip stick for my 3.0 tdi for around £7 from the dealers. Just looked on Etka and got the part number off there.
Had a look at the 2.0 engines and if yours is a CAGA , CAGB , CAHA , CAHB, or CAGC the part number is 03L115611E again about £7 from the dealers.

Reactions: BYD
I have to say I was also planning on buying a dipstick as the whole mimic thing just feels a bit odd. I didn't know if I could as I was unsure if the tube was in place and just blocked off I haven't checked yet mine is a 2.0 TDi Quattro 2013.

They leave the tubes in because that is what a lot of garages use these days to do oil changes, they just vacuum it out the sump.
You don't need to jack the car up, take off underbody guards etc it's all done in 15 minutes.

Karl.

Just looked for an online access to a parts Cat! Hadn't had any luck previously, Audi Teile Katalog Volkswagen Ersatzteile Skoda Parts Seat online BMW Teile is working. :yes:
Many thanks for making me check. Initially just lists the tube? Will be ordering the stick on your recommendation. Why don't they just include one under the cover? Together with a spare tyre, so irritating? Technology for technology sake, without any alternative! Just want to make things more mysterious.

The oil dipstick part number 03L115611E is to long if your tube is completely under the cover, you will find it bottoms out before it clips in as the tube is shorter.

If your blanking piece and tube are at an angle and not under the plastic engine cover it fits fine.

Dieseldoo thanks for that, I unfortunately had that problem! So I have that dipstick here never even used! :(

Bum! Is the tube to much trouble to change out with the two screw mounts? Think it is 03L103634E for my 2ltr TD engine. Usually just pull out, if they break, pull out the end with needle nose pliers.
If the dipstick seal plug is a standard compatible? Can you cut it down and recalibrate it with a file? Otherwise just have one to mark up? Shouldn't be that difficult to measure back from a max mark, a ltr min. Or mark the top an appropriate point. Anyone done it? Always a catch to do anything these days! Predesigned problems.

The oil dipstick part number 03L115611E is to long if your tube is completely under the cover, you will find it bottoms out before it clips in as the tube is shorter.

If your blanking piece and tube are at an angle and not under the plastic engine cover it fits fine.
Thanks, what should I do if my tube is completely under the engine cover? Is there another part number? Cheers