A4 Avant Tow bar

Soft lad

Reaction score
Has anyone had a Towbar fitted on a 2009 Avant S line??. Spoke with a mate at Audi and he said it will be £1500 fitted. Seems very very steep for a little bit of metal.

ive fitted a fair few of these now, i work as a towbar fitter, for a witter detachable fully fitted, supplied etc inc vat you would be looking at no more than £450 at the very most

we cover the northwest of england if thats any use to you

westfalia removeable bar with single elctrics fitted for £370 outside edinburgh about 18 months ago.
don't go to audi unless you are spending someone elses money

Thanks Scot b. Im from the South typically. Isnt there an issue with wiring into the car? Audi tell me there is a new control module that needs to be fitted.

I only want a towbar for a bike frame as I dont want to take them on roof rails so I'm not too sure If I can get away without using electrics at all.

It all depends if you want the VAG Oem electric pack of aftermarket piggy back one. The OEM uses canbus and ties in with the ESP program so the ESP behaives differently with a trailer attached.

The aftermarket electric kits just piggy back the wiring matrix for the light signals and a 12v supply

Thats what I thought but with all the who ha about warnings on the dash as the car thinks a bulb is out, is that the right way to do it??

You can always get an oem install do by someone other than Audi. It's the labour thats killing you with the £1500 quote.

Thanks for all the advice. I think Im going to but a Witter towbar, fit it myslef with a bodyshop mate then buy a bike rack and see how it looks, i.e can you still see the lights. My concern is the French Police pulling me saying they cant see my brake lights.

Might then have to get the electrics done.

Scott, I used to meddle with cars but this thing just seems to scare me. The mate at Audi said they had to rectify someones **** up when they tried to wire up electrics and it cost £3000 to put it right.

Thanks anyway matey.

I seem to remember a trailer board on dragons den that had little suction cup sensors that stuck to the lights in relevant places and activated the trailor board lights at the relevant times. I remember it was a young kid that got sponsored, not sure where you would buy one from, but i recon that would solve your wiring problems.