Any viewing tips for a 2.0TFSI?

Bigman

Cornish and Proud!
Reaction score
Hey guys

After my original plan of buying a 1.8t B6, I mave managed to stretch my budget a little and I am pretty set on getting an B7 Avant 2.0TFSI. Are there any tips on what I should be looking for when I go for look/drive? After owning a diesel for the past 3 years and only ever realy working on diesel engines the whole petrol thing is a little new to me. Also is there any known B7 bugs that i should look out for, The cars I am looking at are likely to be around the 100K mark.

Thanks

Adam

Be ready to put as much oil in as you do petrol! I've got a 56plate 2.0T s-line se(220) on 45k miles and im forever topping up on oil. Although the petrol mpg is brilliant, it burns oil really quick and mine car only does 10k miles per year. My mate's just got a brand new A5 with same engine and his is the same. My 2 previous motors where B6 1.8T's a 163 and a 190 Sport and i only ever used to top up oil once a year from what i remember. But apart from that its a Great engine, ha ha. Aside from that i'd still rather have a 2.0T over a 1.8T anyday. Its a lot better on fuel,cheaper road tax, and power delivery much better.

My mate's just got a brand new A5 with same engine and his is the same.
The A5 2.0T engines are NOT the same as the B7 2.0T. The A5s run the new valve lift incarnation of the 2.0T. The 220ps in the B7 A4 is just a half hearted remapped version of the orig 2.0T

I had a 2tfsi quattro se for four years and only topped up the oil two or three times in 30,000 miles apart from servicing. The only fault I had was the sychromesh on second gear went,it took Witherspoons in Edinburgh six weeks to fix under warranty.

"The A5 2.0T engines are NOT the same as the B7 2.0T. The A5s run the new valve lift incarnation of the 2.0T. The 220ps in the B7 A4 is just a half hearted remapped version of the orig 2.0T." It still burns lots of oil like mine, which is my point anyway. But don't be put off by that, I love mine and every car is different,maybe they don't all burn oil but my mate who works at Audi said they've had a lot back in with customers complaining of oil consumption.

My mates an experienced mechanic and its down to two things:

1. How well the car was run in from new - if the running in wasn't carried out carefully and properly the rings (particularly the oil scraper ring) won't seal as well as they could so you'll always burn some oil.

2: The 5W 30 oil is so thin its bound to partially evaporate/burn off/get used.... so yeah, some consumption is to be expected....... depends on who you speak to!! If you used 20W/50 like we did 20 years ago you wouldn't be using oil like these engines do.

That's my two penneth.....

Mine has used 1.5 litres in 10,000 miles.

! If you used 20W/50 like we did 20 years ago you wouldn't be using oil like these engines do.

The reasons these engines do are because tollerances are so much finer, using 20W/50 now would just feck the engine no end.

Hi,
A couple of things to check:-
1. You need to check with the owner if the Diverter valve has been uprated to the revised piston type. The old ones are diaphragm based and can rip causing boost leak.
2. Check if the Cam follower has been inspected as these are prone to wear and can do some serious damage if they fail.

Yes do check the Cam follower!!!

I took my car in to Backdraft for a service and also due to low fuel pressure, they did service charged me £65 for a diagnostic chediesck showing low fuel pressure on rail 1 and 2, they also claim to have checked cam follower yet 3 months later just as i was intending to sell my car, bang car dies and restarts for two seconds and stops!

taken by AA to Audi who confirmed dreaded fuel follower completley knackered and cam as well!!!

£2400 later car back and better than ever, Backdraft's answer to me when i challenged them....... we checked the follower and will swear in court if need be! course you did!

Thanks for the Replies guys, Unfortunatly I did not see the last 2 postes, but I have bought the car so I will get those things checked out ASAP!

Here it is, 2006 (55plate) 2.0TFSI, REALY happy with it!

p7030409.jpg

p7030410.jpg

Thanks

Adam

mine burns oil also. sister inlaws 09tt also burns oil as bad! sync mesh was cause of gear wear which was fixed under warranty. dv valve needs replaced. clutch now slipping on and off lol all happened between 40 and 48k miles. there a great car looking and driving but full of probs! id 03 b6 which timing went in engine and needed all upper engine replaced, it was a 2.0 fsi engine....£££££

anyone else suffered the cam follower nighmare?

really think needs it needs to be made more aware!