a4 cruise control

matty-a4

Reaction score
hi all... Just brought the cruise control stalk etc for my car (a4 tdi sline 2006). Can anyone give me any pointers...ie does the steering wheel have to come off .
I've seen other posts where people have downloaded vagcom and brought a interface cable to code it to the car ..... so any pointers on where to get that from would be a massive help. Cheers guys

Yep, you'll need to remove the steering wheel and airbag. You will also need a new lower steering cowl (to have the cruise enlarged slot) and program it with VAG COM (now called VCDS).

Thanks for your reply. Have you any idea how the airbag comes off? And do i need a puller for the steering wheel.

two x torx bolts either side at the rear of the wheel.
then youll need a ( t55 ) or 12mm spline to remove the steering wheel, take note and mark the wheel against the spline to ensure that it goes back on exactly where it came off, else your wheel will be off centre when you put it all back together.
do NOT let the slipring move either ( keep it central with tape )
assuming your module is correct, fit the stalk and code the car.
the lower cowel can be bought new that has the slot pre cut out or it is easy to cut it out your old cowling yourself.

The steering wheel & the column spline both should have the marking of center position already, so take note if these are inline originally before removal or its ofset to the left or right of the marking & rest is exactly as Lea says, dont move the slip ring whatever you do.

You may also need a new steering wheel control unit. I believe that if you already have a multi-function steering wheel then you shouldn't need a new one.

I haven't got a mfsw but the chap at audi said i wouldn't need an ecu. Very last question. Am i right in thinkin i've got to disconnect the battery so the air bag won't go off?

You won't need a new ecu but I'm pretty sure you will need a new steering control module, you can always fit the cruise and if it doesn't work then buy a new module.

You should disconnect the battery as airbags are technically classified as explosives and you don't want the chance of it going off.

theres a 99 % chance youll need a slipring and a module, the battery doesnt require disconnecting but alot do for peace of mind

Right chaps. Everything plugged in nicely as it should. It doesn't work so i think it needs coding to the car. A local garage will do it for £35 plus the VAT. So fingers crossed, jobs a good un. Thanks for your help