Cruise control Troubleshooting

einonsy

Reaction score
Hi All!

My cruise control has suddenly stopped working on my Audi A4 TDI, not sure what has caused this as one day it was working and next it had stopped,

what steps can i take to troubleshoot before taking it to an audi garage?

cheers

jason

Your going to need access to vag-com to see why the cruise is not working.

Are your brake lights stuck on? If so it could be your brake light switch. Clutch switch might also be the issue. But use vag-com to make sure before you start spending money.

remove the clutch switch and bridge the connections together, this would deffo be my first port of call, also this fault will not show up on vagcom

This can be done via vag-com, you can monitor the clutch switch, brake switch & accelerator peddle without having to disconnect any wiring or switches.

Many members on here have vag-com just post your location, I'm sure someone can help:icon_thumright:

ah yeh, you sure can nut, it was quicker for me to pull the plug on the switch than it was to find the channel in vagcom lmfao

lol, midlands a tad far, probably cheaper going to the stealers than to travel to you 1wheelonly :-D Very kind offer though, thanks!

nah, not a genuine one at all mate, hes stating that no other software will work with it, thats rubbish mate, just means its hacked, youll get no support etc etc
if your after one mate then i suggest you get a genuine one, contact NHN on here, he sell the genuine ones cheaper than anyone else.

Completely fake, dont waste your money as you will eventually regret it.

:thumbsup: cheers! im probablt going to try the clutch switch first as recommended, ive seen there not too expensive to replace if this is the issue.

Cheers for all the replies guys, tried suggested test of unplugging the brake / clutch switches, this didnt seam to have any affect, ive taken pictures of what i unplugged to make sure im unplugging the clutch and brake switches.

photo-21.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Is it a trip to the stealers or is anyone close buy willing to lend me their vagcom :-D

the two wires in the plug you have taken out of the switch need to be bridged together to make a circuit, then whilst there together retest the cruise.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just add on to the bottom of this one...

Had to do a run this afternoon to clear the light and re-gen the DPF and on the way back I realised cruise control would not activate. After a bit of research I realise that the clutch switch is probably the best place to start but am not overly confident on trying to fix it myself.

Does anyone live near by with VAGCOM or an experience of sorting out this problem? Im in Surrey but willing to travel...

Trust me, the clutch switch is easy to replace and the part is cheap as well. Just under a few screws to remove the bottom panel underneath your steering wheel. You'll see the white switch above the clutch. Just unplug, twist and remove. To put the new one in, push the clutch down, hold the switch against the hole, bring the clutch back up to it's resting position, then turn and twist into place.

Thanks matey, will have a word with Audi, get the part on order and hopefully that'll sort it. Will post the outcome!

just set off for our holdays driving down to france and the cruise isn't working!!!!!!!!!!!!
fortunately just found this thread, pulled the plug off the clutch switch and put a bent paper clip into both the terminals to bridge it, took it out for a quick spin and it works. hurray!
I just hope that the local tps has a clutch switch in stock or somewhere else does nearby.
any other suggestions for parts places incase tps don't have any in? i'm staying in twickenham until about half 11 when we have to go and get the ferry from dover

Im sure my mate said there is a euro car parts not far from syon lane just opened.

Or there is a VW garage on gillette corner. Or west london Audi just down the road from VW....

thanks for the reply, the tps had one in, 10 min job to fit and good to use the cruise on the long drive down france

thank you so much guys i had the same problem and using the bent paper clip advice i diagnosed a faulty clutch switch. mine was blue instead of white but nevertheless i ll be getting a replacement asap. thanks again!