Auto's: multitronic, tiptronic what's the difference?

p1tse

Reaction score
Auto's: multitronic, tiptronic what's the difference?

any major issues with these on the B7?

I was warned against the multitronic. Reports of it falling apart as low as 60k miles.

How do I tell which it has, as I'm sure some sellers won't have a clue lik
e me now

i just read quattro would have tiptronic all others multitronic

so if it was the case it would have to be tiptronic?

but then i read somewhere b7 multitronic are fine it was the version before?

not sure if it's a good source, Honest John (well i like the comprehensive reviews)

B6 seems like faults with multitronics, but not mentioned on B7. Someone said that 2005+ multitronic should be fine in comparison, thoughts and experiences?

I would stay away from the multitronic too.

What engine's were you looking at?

The difference is as follows. The multitronic is a CVR Continuous variable ratio. It’s a chain drive configuration that means you don’t feel a gear change, it adjusts the ratio dynamically. It is a very smooth drive if you switch to manual mode it has software configured gears (either 6 or 7) so will simulate a gear change. I have owned two multitronics the first a 2.4 V6. If you floor it, the rev counter goes to the red line then the speed continues to increase with no dip or gear change and the revs stay constant. I now have a 2.0TFSI and it drops the revs each time It reaches the red line (I assume this is to take advantage of the turbo). I love the multitronic it’s beautiful to drive, my only complaint would be pull off. If you need t pull away quickly there is a 1-2 second delay in hitting the peddle and the car jumping off ( a pain at busy junctions) also then engaging reverse if you hit the throttle too quickly it’s like dropping the clutch on a manual it jumps with a thud, you soon learn not to do this. Sadly the multitronic is plagued with reliability problems and most people will advise to steer clear. The gearbox was originally a sealed unit and maintenance free for the life of the car, now they advise a gearbox oil change every 40K. This costs around £200 and is strongly advised. If you are buying a car with a warrantee then I wouldn’t worry. If not check that the oil has been changed at every 40K interval as this will help with goodwill from Audi should it fail? My first one did fail and needed a new ECU, luckily under warrantee, my current one has been fine. I have a friend who has owned his from new and it failed after 5 years 80K at a cost of £5K L. The Tiptronic is a completely different beast, if you have a quatro it will be a tiptronic, these are much more reliable and supposedly very good gear boxes. So if you know the history and have a warrantee I would go for a multi tronic. Otherwise stick with a manual or tip. I hope this helps.