A4 3.0TDi Cooling fan relay location

ric355

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of help please. Standing at the front of the car, the left hand cooling fan on my 2005 MY A4 3.0 TDi is running permanently, even with the ignition off. I can stop it by disconnecting the multiplug to the right hand side of the block. I've managed to establish that both fans are working fine - right hand one comes on with the aircon - so I don't think it's in a failsafe mode or anything. And I don't think it's the control module because that wouldn't be powered up with the ignition off. If I pull the 5A cooling fan fuse, it still keeps on running.

This leaves me thinking that a relay is stuck in the closed position. Various Googling seems to indicate that this is a known fault caused by water in the ECU box. I haven't had the car out in rain though, and most of those posting about that issue seem to be referring to B5 and B6 models.

Can anyone confirm that on the B7 there are some relays in the ECU box as there are on earlier models? If not, where are they? It's a real pain to get at so I can't just open the box without removing various other bits first, and the wiper arms which seem to need to come off to gain access are on very tight - and I haven't got a puller (yet!).

Any thoughts appreciated - thanks.