AH FabricationsBadger5
    loves quattro

Status

My quattro needs new brakes - any recommendations?!?!?!?

Hi guys.

My car's about to hit 50,000 miles and during a service this morning I've been advised that the discs and pads are 'about ready' for replacing.

I'm thinking of going with OEM discs with EDC Green Stuff, or Red Stuff, pads all round.

Any thoughts or experience would be really appreciated

Rich

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Hi mate, i replaced my front discs and rear discs for OEM discs, i also have redstuff pads and have braided brake lines, i did all this at 45k miles.

Its a great setup, however im looking at getting drilled discs now and i would reccommend you get drilled or grooved discs too as they are about the same price as OEM and you will get less brake fade and better heat loss.

Just look on ebay mate, loads of discs and pads, if i remember correctly my OEM discs were about Ł180 for front and rear, my redstuff pads were about Ł120 for front and rear and my braided lines were custom made for about Ł40.

If you want to go down the OEM route like i have buy from here mate, http://www.premier-factors.com, i even bartered them down abit, they are also on ebay.

But...personally if i were your position right now i would get some grooved and drilled discs, with redstuff pads and get yourself some braided brake lines from DPM.

The whole lot should cost you no more than Ł350.00 excluding fitting.
    Last edited by Dazmo; 15th April 2010 at 14:35.

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

2nd Gear

Status
    out of interest do the red stuff pads come with wear sensors?

Neutral

Status
    yes redstuff pads come with wear sensors, i highly recommend buying the red stuff pads they are awsom and while your changing the discs might aswell get some groved and drilled ones will help with fade and loose heat alot better = better braking!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Personally drilled/grooved disks are a waste of time. The grooves just eat up the pads, and the holes often cause cracking.

Stock disks and some good pads (DS2500's would get my vote. Redstuff is junk) will see you alright.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC ÂŁ999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Personally drilled/grooved disks are a waste of time. The grooves just eat up the pads, and the holes often cause cracking.

Stock disks and some good pads (DS2500's would get my vote. Redstuff is junk) will see you alright.
    Yes holes can cause cracking, but they reduce brake fade, which under heavy braking is essential.

This is why you see drilled discs on performance cars.

As for the grooves, yes they do wear the pads down slightly more than normal but the added aspect of removing water and heat from the discs is not to be overlooked.

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    Rich- if your not going to be tracking the car I wouldn't bother with drilled/grooved discs. Stick with Original discs and either original pads or DS2500 pads as already stated.

Drilled/grooved are good to have IF your going to be tracking the car and IF you are prepared to spend Ł100's per disc otherwise the quality isn't there!!
    Audi A4 1.8T Sport Cabriolet-Full black leather(Electric & heated),RNS-E,BOSE, OEM Bluetooth,RS4 Mirrors,RS4 FBMFSW,RS4 Pedals,RS4 RARB,Cruise Control,B7 Rear Lights,Ally Inlays,18" RS6 Alloys,HID's/Auto lights with dimming rear view mirror,Coming home lights,Ambient light pack & Rear parking sensors.

For all your VAG OEM PARTS send me a PM or e-mail me at vagoemparts@ymail.com

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmspeedy View Post
    Rich- if your not going to be tracking the car I wouldn't bother with drilled/grooved discs. Stick with Original discs and either original pads or DS2500 pads as already stated.

Drilled/grooved are good to have IF your going to be tracking the car and IF you are prepared to spend Ł100's per disc otherwise the quality isn't there!!

Nothing wrong with having drilled discs if your not tracking the car.

I get brake fade all the time on mine and im tired of it.

You can pick up perfectly adequete drilled discs for Ł150-200, just the same quality as OEM discs.

2nd Gear

Status
    I also noticed that Ferodo do a performance series brake pad (DS) not (DS2500) and come with wear sensors, has anybody tried these?
    http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_web/h...rformance.aspx

1st Gear

Status
    I'm pretty convinced the drilled discs are the way to go, my OEM ones are drilled, I don't think Audi would have them on there if they weren't required, I also have a bit of extra power to my wheels so I suppose it gives that bit more confidence that brake fade shouldn't be an issue.
    B7 A4 2.0T S Line special edition Quattro Avant.
    Bose soundsAngel remap.
    Alu mirrors, blue vision sidelights

loves quattro

Status
    Thanks all - just moved house so have been netless......

I have used drilled/grooved discs on my previous car and wasn't desparately impressed........I am tempted with drilled though.

Just wondered which way you guys had gone.

I understand Redstuff pads aren't great from cold - which is putting me off a little.

I reckon I'm either gonna go OEM discs or Drilles, with Greenstuff pads.

4th Gear

Status
    Just brought OEM pads for the rear and going for redstuff on the front with the original, genuine discs. I looked at ferodo DS pads but they are slightly more expensive.
    I have had drilled and grooved discs on previous cars, which were good but i don't hammer brakes like I used to so won't be going for them on here.
    I'm sure the redstuff will be fine straight away, the cars are that heavy that heat will build up in no time.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted