Syncing RNS-E time with the dis

PH1L

Gievf Buckets
Reaction score
Alright guys not my area of expertise at all but a mate of mine has a b7 a4 with all the bells and whistles and he says that in his manual in blue text (i belive thats detail of an optional extra) it mentions that you can use the rns-es time and sync it to the cluster?

my question is, is this true? is it a vagcom operation, if so would you kind gents enlighten me?

any help at all is appreciated

cheers
Phil

should already be sync'd dont alter the time on the rns-e, just alter the time on the dash and then the rns-e will sync from that.

should already be sync'd dont alter the time on the rns-e, just alter the time on the dash and then the rns-e will sync from that.

Exactly, just change the time on your dials, press mode then change the hour and job done!

On a similar note, my rns-e date is wrong.

On the options screen where you change the time etc., the date is shown but is greyed out so cannot be changed.

It isn't causing a problem, just bugs the hell out of me!

again scottie id of thought the date would work the same way, should sync from the settings on the dis.

i think he was wanting to keep teh rnse time teh same since it maybe updates automatically via sattelite?

No, gps doesnt update time afaik, as I've always had to set mine including tonite upon a module update, its manual & there is an option to have an auto time update module inside the cluster, but I havnt seen 1 cluster with this except maybe in Germany, its listed as a part in etka but isnt installed in UK cars that I know of.

The RNS-E is capable of getting time via GPS, however this is disabled if it's able to get time from the instrument cluster over the infotainment can-bus

Strange, I will change the time to incorrect on cluster so it filters down to rns, then will disconnect the bus on rns & reset unit then see if it does indeed get time of gps, as to date with all my wiring mods etc it hasnt done this once, but hey glad to be proved wrong.

I run an RNS-E on a 1996 B5 A4, with a Kufatec can-bus adapter as the instrument cluster does not have infotainment can-bus and the time works fine.

One thing to add you will need to set GMT for daylight savings time

Last edited:
Is the canbus adapter talking with the car over kline to get the time though?

No it has no kline wire only +, -, switched live, lights on, also as the A4 B5 Pre canbus models never had a digital clock where could it pick up the time from! The RNS-E can get time from GPS. The only information the can-bus adapter sends to the RNS-E is an instrument cluster ID (so you don't have to enter the pin every time the RNS-E switches on), ignition on, and if the lights are switched on.

Last edited:
You sure about the B5 having no clock, cause I'm sure I've seen a digital clock in B5 S4's & RS4's.

I've had my car for 12 years, and it's only got the standard dial clock, later B5's had a digital clock. Also later B5's had can-bus instrument clusters.

Just like in the picture below
audia4instrumentcluster.jpg

Ah yes I misread tbh, as you did to be fair say B5 precanbus models didnt have dig clocks, so fair enough.