Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

a few issues with my 2.0 tdi (poor mpg and suspected alternator belt tensioner seizin

hi all.

ive had my car about 3 weeks and im only geting 33 mpg, my driving consists of constant town driving but even still i was expecting alittle more than this.

could this have anything to do with the rattle coming from the front of my engine?

the rattle i think is coming from the alternator belt tensioner which is moving ever so slightly when the engine is running.

how do you get the belt offf to check the pulleys?

cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andy16vturbo View Post
    hi all.

ive had my car about 3 weeks and im only geting 33 mpg, my driving consists of constant town driving but even still i was expecting alittle more than this.

could this have anything to do with the rattle coming from the front of my engine?

the rattle i think is coming from the alternator belt tensioner which is moving ever so slightly when the engine is running.

how do you get the belt offf to check the pulleys?

cheers

What year is your car mate?

1st Gear

Status
    My avant does 39-40 but only has a three mile run to work. Managed to get 53mpg on a 40 mile run once though.
    With currently 18k miles will the mpg improve with mileage?
    2008 A4 Avant Sline. Sat nav, MFSW, Privacy glass.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hey mate, I to brought an 2003 A3 and having the same problem. Driving very carefully and an 10 mile journey gets me 30mpg. Really upset. I hope someone can give us some advice.

Neutral

Status
    car is an 05 mate. I've read about the oil pump carry on but im not gonna get to worried about that just yet because the rattle, or knock is slight and the noise is in time with the alternator tensioner jumping around. If i can get the alternator belt off and run the engine briefly hopefully that will eliminate the noise and i'll get the pulley changed. If it doesnt then so be it.

Neutral

Status
    can anyone tell me if there is away of removing the alternator belt to check the pulley's?