New kid on the block - Needs some help

AshD

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post so I might as well introduce myself...

My names Ash and i'm 16 (i'll be driving soon though)... My dad's just purchased a Audi A4 B7 55 plate Multitronic Automatic (I think its multitronic, Its a "CRV" gearbox iirc and has 7 gears when put into semi-auto). Its a 2.0 TDI with 140 BHP.

Right... so the problems and questions.

a) The car has a weird rattle when the air condition is switched off. I assume on the Audi that the AC pump is constantly on? On the last two cars we have, we have the choice to run the pump. On this, it seems it switches on regardless, even on high temp's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CdHVAZN2g

Edit : The Youtube account is my mates... i'm just borrowing it... ignore his other vids... we were very young :|

DSC01585.jpg

Thats the control panel. I assumed that models with AC had a little "a" on the Re-circ bit?

Thats a vid showing the sound... Sorry about the quality... but if you turn up your speakers, you can just hear what I mean.

b) I have a "Concert" stereo. I don't know if its concert 1,2,3 or any other? I'v never seen any other headunit so I don't know the differences.

DSC01583.jpg

What are the possibilities with this unit? Can I attach the official iPod dock to it? or a CD changer?

And has it got pre-outs?

I know the system has a sub in the parcel shelve (what do you call them in a saloon) if that helps. I have a bit of experience in ICE. I'v already done up my 206 and this is hopefully next (though for standards, it sounds pretty good compared to other cars).

c) How easy is it to add a multifunction steering wheel? It really needs one :)

d) Is there anything I should know/check? The cars done 100k but personally, I think thats nothing on a Diesel.

e) How easy is it to upgrade the body kit to a s-line one? Well atleast the bumpers and grills. I don't want to touch the suspension unless theres something that makes it even more comfortable.

f) Thanks for all replies in advance :) Much much appreciated. and sorry for the essay :p

Last edited:
Bump... 21 views... and no-one can answer any of them?

Hi guys, first post so I might as well introduce myself...

My names Ash and i'm 16 (i'll be driving soon though)... My dad's just purchased a Audi A4 B7 55 plate Multitronic Automatic (I think its multitronic, Its a "CRV" gearbox iirc and has 7 gears when put into semi-auto). Its a 2.0 TDI with 140 BHP.

Right... so the problems and questions.

a) The car has a weird rattle when the air condition is switched off. I assume on the Audi that the AC pump is constantly on? On the last two cars we have, we have the choice to run the pump. On this, it seems it switches on regardless, even on high temp's.

The default for the climate control is to be on so I suggest you try pressing the Econ button and see if the noise stops.

b) I have a "Concert" stereo. I don't know if its concert 1,2,3 or any other? I'v never seen any other headunit so I don't know the differences.

What are the possibilities with this unit? Can I attach the official iPod dock to it? or a CD changer?

And has it got pre-outs?

I know the system has a sub in the parcel shelve (what do you call them in a saloon) if that helps. I have a bit of experience in ICE. I'v already done up my 206 and this is hopefully next (though for standards, it sounds pretty good compared to other cars).

What a lot of owners do is switch to an RNS-E sat nav unit that allows SD cards with mp3's on them. To do this you would need to upgrade the facia from a single DIN to double, there are plenty of threads on this on numerous Audi forums. As for upgrading the speakers, I haven't a clue.

c) How easy is it to add a multifunction steering wheel? It really needs one :)

If the car has cruise then reasonably straightforward, if not then it's a little more expensive. You need the new steering wheel and someone with a full VAG COM cable as well as a new slip ring and possibly a new control module (these are pricey but come up on ebay.de from time to time).

d) Is there anything I should know/check? The cars done 100k but personally, I think thats nothing on a Diesel.

Check the engine code, this is on a sticker in the boot where the spare wheel is. If it has a BLB engine code then you should be aware of the oil balancer shaft issue, there is a sticky in this forum about it.

e) How easy is it to upgrade the body kit to a s-line one? Well atleast the bumpers and grills. I don't want to touch the suspension unless theres something that makes it even more comfortable.

You'll need a new bumper, new boot (not that it looks too different), new fog inserts and possibly a new grill.

I can't answer much, but the aircon will be on unless you press ECON which will disable the compressor. The compressor will automatically be disabled when it's cold anyway, 4c 'think'.

Sorry I can't be more help, I'm not familiar with the B7 range.

Thanks guys, that brilliant. I'll check out all off the above. Regarding the Double Din Sat Nav... as you can tell from the pictures above, it just doesn't look like double din would fit. Am I missing something?

Edit : Did some googling... It seems it moves the air conditioning unit down.

Last edited:
You'd need to do a double din conversion, as the Concert system is single din. Have a search on ebay to give you some ideas.

You'd need to do a double din conversion, as the Concert system is single din. Have a search on ebay to give you some ideas.

Yeh, i'v seen... Is the RNS-E system really "all that"... I mean, looking at some eBay units, there around £500 :O... and I for a little extra, I can get some decent After Market ones...

Whats the advantage of having one apart from OEM integration to the Speedo Display?

you can get a lead that allows your ipod/iphone to go in on the cd changer plug, have a search on other sections a4 b6 a3 8p etc theres a few doing it now, not expensive either

Yeh, i'v seen... Is the RNS-E system really "all that"... I mean, looking at some eBay units, there around £500 :O... and I for a little extra, I can get some decent After Market ones...

Whats the advantage of having one apart from OEM integration to the Speedo Display?

From my point of view, it fits into the facia without using a facia plate that doesn't look brilliant. It also allows two SD cards to play mp3's off. You could even go for the 2010 version of the sat nav but that's a bit extravagant. Have a look on ebay for retrofitting an RNS-e as there are instructions including the double-din conversion.