Traffic Light Camera!

Maq

Quattro_AvQ
Reaction score
Got flashed by a grey traffic light camera, got a good case to fight it. Went throught the camera at amber doing a little less than 40mph( within the speed limit), no way i would have been able to stop and not end up in the middle of the junction, so put my foot down and got across...i believe it flashed twice but was very dim and didnt really blind me..is that normal?...and wat fine am i looking at..points????

Help PLEASEEEE!

These camera's work by using a loop in the road just after the stop line - that registers a car/bike going over it - When the red stage kicks in the loop will detect you've driven over it and the camera will flash accordingly. So, it may have been amber as you approached it, but as you went over the stop line it would have been red!

Think your bang to rights mate - Unless there's no film in it!

There is a book and website - written by an ex policeman that tells you what they must do to make it stick; things like was it last calibrated.

Thanks mate...dont want 3points on my license as my insurance will sky rocket!...do you hav a link for the website?

I see your in London?
If the camera was in London you will be given a choice.
1. £60 fine and three(3) points.
2. £90 and go on a traffic light awareness day, no points.

I have done the later and it was full of bus drivers!!!
You can only do one(1) awareness day in a two(2) year period.
I felt hard done by like you, I'm sure I was only got as the car behind me did the red light when I did the Amber, just swallowed it.
They showed some footage and to be honest it was frightening, dumper trucks running major junctions upto 30 seconds after the lights went red!!!

Wiked mate...jus waiting for it to come through the post...Thanks for everyones help!

It hasnt come through the post...i think im in the safe...thank GOD for that!!!!!...
Thanks for all the help people!

Yeah, happend to me but luckily my dad had a source that got my points and **** cleared of everything.
Cost abit but would of been alot lot cheaper than my insurance

Attempting to stop wasnt the safest alternative in this situation....money making camera 100%

A colleague got flashed by a traffic light camera in Norwich - cost him 4 points plus a fine (can't remember how much).

Unless some plonker is right up your **** stopping at a red light is the best option.

No No..u dont understand...The light had turned amber(and the transition stage from amber to red is unbelievably quick at these lights) and i was too close to the lights to stop...if i had stopped your Wife and Kid would have come into the side of me! or would have had to brake hard to avoid me sitting in the middle of the yellow box! Think of the law..speed= distance x time. Then apply it to my situation, and the factors surrounding environment( eg..temp, precipitation, surface of road, painted slippery markings on the road), conditions of brakes, the heat of the brakes, the condition of the tyres, they would all have some factor of your wife and child colliding into my car if i was to have stopped. I rest my case!!!!

No worries..i'd thought I would still make a point...and use my A-Level physics to try and back it up! :rulez:

No No..u dont understand...The light had turned amber(and the transition stage from amber to red is unbelievably quick at these lights) and i was too close to the lights to stop...if i had stopped your Wife and Kid would have come into the side of me! or would have had to brake hard to avoid me sitting in the middle of the yellow box! Think of the law..speed= distance x time. Then apply it to my situation, and the factors surrounding environment( eg..temp, precipitation, surface of road, painted slippery markings on the road), conditions of brakes, the heat of the brakes, the condition of the tyres, they would all have some factor of your wife and child colliding into my car if i was to have stopped. I rest my case!!!!

The reason i knew about how the camera works is due to the fact i'm an Engineer - All lights have a specific time between Red, Amber & Green - Set by DfT (Department for Transport) Can't remember off the top of my head, but i think it's 3 seconds between amber and red. It’s impossible to for them to differ as it's set into the prom (Which holds all the timings, phases, etc,etc)
The fact is, as with all of us when we've got caught out by a red ligt, speed is the main factor - Had you have been in slower moving traffic, you'd have been able to stop!

Don't mean to sound like i'm hanging you out to dry mate, but the timings between your red, and the other phase turning green is around 3 seconds again - Meaning if someone had approached the lights at a similar speed and they would have hit/you hit them!

They have to notify you in fourteen(14) days, have you heard yet?
What was the "legal fix" that was mentioned, im sure im not the only curious one???

They have to notify you in fourteen(14) days, have you heard yet?
What was the "legal fix" that was mentioned, im sure im not the only curious one???

Yes i'm intrigued to know this leagal fix too! Do tell!

There is no "legal fix". If you go through a red traffic light (and this means the rear wheels of the car pass the stop line after the light has turned red), then you are subject to prosecution. I do have an element of sympathy - if you are approaching a set of traffic lights on a de-restricted (i.e. 60 or 70mph) section of road, and the lights turn to amber, it is sometimes difficult, even dangerous to attempt to stop. However, as far as the law sees it, if you pass through a red traffic light, then you pass through a red traffic light....simple as that.
It is true that registered keeper/owner of the car (not necessarliy the driver, e.g. in cases of company cars) must be presented with an NIP (notice of intended prosection) within 14 days of the incident.
The best strategy when driving is to always expect the lights to change when you are approaching. That way reaction time is considerably reduced. The time between the phase change from amber to red will always be sufficient to allow for stopping distances, in the rain, at the maximum permitted speed at that location.

In Canada (and poss America?) on dual carriageways and faster roads they have a set of warning lights 300 - 400 yards before the lights which flash up "Prepare to stop" or similar when the lights are about to turn red. Simple but effective.